Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Lesnar vs Mir UFC 81

Guest carlito is cool

Guest Slim Jim

Some notes from DYNAMITE DAVE at the Observer:

--It's been reported that WWE has purchased 30 ringside tickets for tonight's show. I haven't heard that other than someone from UFC telling me that a bunch of WWE guys are going, but it's also could be confused with TNA guys. We do know Kurt Angle, Jeremy Borash and magician Cris Angel are sitting together at ringside and Mike Tenay from TNA is also attending. We haven't heard any WWE names attending although some big names were talking of attending and are instead watching at home on PPV.

--Randy Couture's picks are Sylvia via third round knockout and Mir via second round submission. His other picks are Almeida, Marquardt and Griffin. I don't know about Sylvia via knockout being that nobody has ever stopped Nogueira. Anything can happen in Mir vs. Lesnar, other than Lesnar isn't winning via armbar or a triangle from the bottom.

--However, Nogueira and Lesnar remain the favorites in every sports book in town. Betting in the last day has come down stronger on Lesnar since the weigh-in.

This'll be the first MMA match I'm interested in/I will watch since Shamrock/Ortiz 3.

Also, I may be the only person who thinks this, but wouldn't it be awesome if Kurt Angle did a run-in?

Edited by Slim Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Great Ahmar
Some notes from DYNAMITE DAVE at the Observer:

--It's been reported that WWE has purchased 30 ringside tickets for tonight's show. I haven't heard that other than someone from UFC telling me that a bunch of WWE guys are going, but it's also could be confused with TNA guys. We do know Kurt Angle, Jeremy Borash and magician Cris Angel are sitting together at ringside and Mike Tenay from TNA is also attending. We haven't heard any WWE names attending although some big names were talking of attending and are instead watching at home on PPV.

--Randy Couture's picks are Sylvia via third round knockout and Mir via second round submission. His other picks are Almeida, Marquardt and Griffin. I don't know about Sylvia via knockout being that nobody has ever stopped Nogueira. Anything can happen in Mir vs. Lesnar, other than Lesnar isn't winning via armbar or a triangle from the bottom.

--However, Nogueira and Lesnar remain the favorites in every sports book in town. Betting in the last day has come down stronger on Lesnar since the weigh-in.

This'll be the first MMA match I'm interested in/I will watch since Shamrock/Ortiz 3.

Also, I may be the only person who thinks this, but wouldn't it be awesome if Kurt Angle did a run-in?

This is the first MMA match I've ever had an interest in that didn't involve Tito and his huge head. I imagine Shane McMahon will be there, maybe Taker too, isn't he a MMA fan?

Apparently Stone Cold's friend purchased a ticket but can't make it, Stone Cold is also busy, he's offered the ticket to Goldberg....

Now that would be awesome!

Guest Southside Poet

Nog will DEFINITLEY tap out Sylvia. Nog has endured pressue from much more talented finishers than Big Tim and survived to win.

As for the main event...I think Lesnar can just overwhelm Mir. Lesnar is bigger and the better wrestler. I think it'd take a serious bomb-dropper (like Sylvia for instance) to pound him in the stand-up, but in a ground game I think Mir will find it very hard to work from the bottom.

Guest The Beltster

Lesnar's ground and pound was MUCH better than when he fought Min Soo Kim a little while ago, but he made several mistakes and the last one caught him. He seemed nervous and unfocused and that was that.

An eye-opener for Lesnar hopefully, who seems to think he can kick the sh*t out of anybody at will. Go back to what you are best at, Brock: the fake stuff.

I've got to say that Lesnar looked pretty impressive though, once he gets some experience and time in the sport he has the potential to go pretty far. He just needs to stick with it.

Guest The Beltster

Its probably better he lost so he can work on what he isnt very good at. If he had gone in there and levelled Mir and beat him, he would have thought his technique was faultless and stuck with it, and it isnt very good.

He grabs guys and gasses himself up taking them to the floor and hammering on them. He needs to learn to be more patient, back on when its reqired...fight with his brain aswell as his fists.

He has a ton of raw potential though, you can see that.

Guest The Great Ahmar
I saw the fight and was surprised that Lesnar lost. He didn't get humbled though which is good for him. For anyone who's seen the rest of the show, is it worth checking out tonight on Bravo?

Guest Southside Poet

I believe someone owes me a pound.

And it wasn't a lucky call either. Mirko is a much better finisher than Tim Sylvia is, yet Nog did the exact same thing to him a few years ago when they were both prime.

Guest Kanenite
Shame Lesnar lost, I definitely had my money on him. He seems like a legitimate fighter so I wish him luck with a career in that and hope he learns well as he goes along or silly mistakes will trip him up. I wonder if he'll stay there long though, time will tell.

Brock looked good for this being his first serious MMA fight. But I gotta shake my head at the "you tapped out" curse following him all these years. :lol