Fan Clubs | beta

Elvis Presley Opinions?

Guest Zac Efron

Guest Zac Efron

Elvis is consider by some as the most important person in music history, the creator of Rock and Roll and one of the biggest legends of all time.

Some others just think of him as the fat guy in Vegas who wore the white jumpsuit with the cape who died in a blaze of drugs and food fury on his toilet.

I am more in favour of the first.

Elvis to me is definantly all that is written in paragraph one truly the biggest icon of all time superb charisma and star power.

I also think his voice is very underated I think he had a great voice which is really shown in his later years with the more powerful ballads he sang.

He has fast become one of my favourite artists

what are your opinions of the king?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree I think the Beatles did more for music worldwide than Elvis. I like Elvis but in my opinion the Beatles caused more pandemonium than any other musical act.

Guest Al Stevens
I can see where people come from by saying that "Elvis made the whole music scene" however i believe that it was Jimi Hendrix which made the whole music industry scene of not only Rock but in general.

Yeah but as John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nothing!"

Yes but after Elvis there was the Beatles. They had much more impact worldwide than Elvis.

Guest Zac Efron
do you really belive that? The Beatles were huge no doubt but Elvis something entirely different in terms of fan appeal, I mean his house is the second most visited in America behind only the White House.

Guest Al Stevens
However you could say that most bands want to play the Cavern club which were they played a few times and the The Indra Club in Hamburg is also a popular place to go as well

do you really belive that? The Beatles were huge no doubt but Elvis something entirely different in terms of fan appeal, I mean his house is the second most visited in America behind only the White House.

Yes I do believe that. I believe the Beatle fans (of which I'm one) were extremly loyal to them and always will be. Just because Graceland is popular it doesn't make him better than the Beatles.

Guest Zac Efron
I never said that we were talking about global popularity I thought? On which Elvis surely nicks it? I mean people come from all over the world to see a guys house who has been dead 30 years.

I mean his house is the second most visited in America behind only the White House.
Yeah, but he only had one house. Beatles fans had four houses to visit, which quarters the headcount between them... or something.

The Beatles while being hugely popular live on in their music. Lennon/McCartney were two of the greatest song writers in history. What did Elvis write? Even after the Beatles broke up the individual and surviving members continue to have great careers. Even Cirque du Soleil are doing a show called Love using all Beatle music, also there is a movie out called Across the Universe again using Beatle music. I haven't seen anything like that involving Elvis.

Guest Zac Efron

Well Elvis has sold 1billion albums and singles around the world that is astounding when you think about it and considering he was seen as a bit uncool in the 60's when the likes of The Beatles and Dylan started taking over and then he came back with a vengeance and took his crown right back and you also have to consider he was on top for way longer and starred in 33 films although some wernt great most of them were good with one or two very good ones in there. I mean the guy served in the army for 2 years and came back and everybody was still crazy about him, he reinvented himself and became cool again.

And I trust you have heard of the story about the day The Beatles went to Graceland to Meet Elvis.

Well Elvis has sold 1billion albums and singles around the world that is astounding when you think about it and considering he was seen as a bit uncool in the 60's when the likes of The Beatles and Dylan started taking over and then he came back with a vengeance and took his crown right back and you also have to consider he was on top for way longer and starred in 33 films although some wernt great most of them were good with one or two very good ones in there. I mean the guy served in the army for 2 years and came back and everybody was still crazy about him, he reinvented himself and became cool again.

And I trust you have heard of the story about the day The Beatles went to Graceland to Meet Elvis.

I don't think he took his crown back. Once the Beatles arrived it was their's for good. I heard that Elvis was just as excited to meet the Beatles as they were to meet him.

As for your point about his house being popular. It doesn't make sense George Bush's approval ratings are 29% and he lives in the White House if visiting these places was based on approval ratings no-one would be visiting the White House. But it's the most popular right? People don't come to see the person they want to see the house.

Guest Zac Efron
Crazy Frog got to #1 in the UK charts. Does that mean Crazy Frog was the greatest musical act in the UK at that time?

I dont know how you can even begin to consider comparing the two.

And Fiona John Lennon was obsessed with Elvis and was known to phone Elvis for advice and was desperate for Elvis to record one of his songs.

And I heard he was intrigiued by The Beatles but wasnt exactly desperate to meet them, apparantly they said to him asthey were leaving you should come to our place and he said "we'll see" not exactly oh yeah sure thing man.

The Beatles were the **** in the 60's but in that time frame Elvis did just two live shows in 8 years and was doing movies virtually the whole decade and I do think with his Memphis album in 1968 Elvis did regain his crown with songs like In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds.

Guest Al Stevens

Then in 1968(ish) there was another band in the UK which when on to change the face of music and a band that i am proud to admit to liking.

BLACK SABBATH

Guest Kanenite
Then also in 1968 there was in my oppinion the greatest band ever which were Led Zeppelin. It could go on like this, people have different oppinions, some prefer Elvis, some prefer the Beatles. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, both artists were incredibly huge and successful on amazing levels. Me personally I prefer Elvis as I believe his charisma, vocal talent and general star power were incredible, however I can also hugely respect the Beatles for their music.

Crazy Frog got to #1 in the UK charts. Does that mean Crazy Frog was the greatest musical act in the UK at that time?

No, but that fact is soul destroying.

And Fiona John Lennon was obsessed with Elvis and was known to phone Elvis for advice and was desperate for Elvis to record one of his songs.

And I heard he was intrigiued by The Beatles but wasnt exactly desperate to meet them, apparantly they said to him asthey were leaving you should come to our place and he said "we'll see" not exactly oh yeah sure thing man.

The Beatles were the **** in the 60's but in that time frame Elvis did just two live shows in 8 years and was doing movies virtually the whole decade and I do think with his Memphis album in 1968 Elvis did regain his crown with songs like In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds.

Sorry had to go to work but I'm back now and ready to continue the discussion.

Elvis should have recorded Lennon's song that would have made him really cool. Don't even talk to me about his movies most of them were crap. And you were there to hear what Elvis said about meeting the Beatles. I think not. Listen I'm not saying Elvis wasn't good but he can't touch the Beatles in popularity or musical talent. He was a solo act and in his later years was terrible. That you can't say about the Beatles.

I am also a Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin fan. Love their music.

Edited by Fiona