Fan Clubs | beta

Elvis Presley Opinions?

Guest Zac Efron

I think it fine for people to think The Beatles are better Elvis im just arguing my point on the popularity issue whilst I think Elvis just nicks it for worldwide sales.

Elvis couldnt perform outside America because the Colonel couldnt fly and the colonel pretty much owned the king.

And Fiona im fine with you liking the beatles over him your you im me.

Again, linkage would be useful. You "think Elvis just nicks it for worldwide sales" - what's the source. Seems the Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson have all had that claim made for them. Interestingly, Garth Brooks is a more successful solo artist in the US than Elvis.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garth Brooks is awesome. I am a huge fan of his work (especially the 'No Fences' and 'Ropin' the Wind' albums).

Credit: www.riaa.com

"Brooks has enjoyed one of the most successful careers in popular music history, with over 70 hit singles and 15 charted albums to his credit and over 123 million albums sold in the United States alone."

Not to mention he played a gig in Central Park (broadcast on HBO and released on DVD over here. I had it, but lost it in a home move) where he played to a crowd of around 900,000 (not all paid. Actual paid attendance was about 2/3 of that) and was watched by 14.6million viewers.

Brooks is the biggest-selling recording act in US history, and dwarfs Elvis in this regard.

Edited by DC

Guest Al Stevens
Elvis couldnt perform outside America because the Colonel couldnt fly and the colonel pretty much owned the king.

Wow so now we find out that Burger king is owned by KFC as well.

Who said you never learn anything new everyday :lol

Guest Zac Efron
Oh, and Zac Efron (if that is your real name), Elvis didn't perform outside the US because The Colonel didn't want him to, not because he couldn't fly.

The Colonel couldnt fly because he had a very dodgy track record before he came to America there are some claims that he even killed a man in Holland, although it also true because The Colonel new if Elvis got away from him and started getting ideas from other people he could lose his "boy".

Also if you go on wiki and look up Biggest selling artist off all time it clearly states that Elvis has sold over 1 billion album and singles records around the world making the the biggest selling artist of all time, and yes Garth Brooks has sold around 3.5 million more albums than Elvis in AMERICA that is it his appeal doenst stretch much further than that he is known but not exactly well known over here.

Also Elvis holds the record for No.1's over here which I think is 21 songs with the beatles on around 17?

Edited by Zac Efron

The Colonel couldnt fly because he had a very dodgy track record before he came to America there are some claims that he even killed a man in Holland, although it also true because The Colonel new if Elvis got away from him and started getting ideas from other people he could lose his "boy".

Also if you go on wiki and look up Biggest selling artist off all time it clearly states that Elvis has sold over 1 billion album and singles records around the world making the the biggest selling artist of all time, and yes Garth Brooks has sold around 3.5 million more albums than Elvis in AMERICA that is it his appeal doenst stretch much further than that he is known but not exactly well known over here.

Also Elvis holds the record for No.1's over here which I think is 21 songs with the beatles on around 17?

So even in his own country, Elvis isn't the biggest selling artist?

You seem to have a hard-on (or moist panties, if you're female) for Elvis and can't seem to understand that some people don't share your opinion.

Elvis may have sold a lot of records in the UK (and his last run of #1 singles were a marketing ploy that had nothing to do with his talent and shouldn't really be considered as such), but that means nothing. The singles chart in the UK is the biggest joke this side of Graceland, with any old sh*te getting to the top.

As for top-selling artist; The Bible was the greatest selling-book of all time, but that doesn't mean that it's the greatest book of all time.

I went on wiki and found out that you are just picking facts that bloster your claim. According to RIAA and the Guinness Book of World Records the Bealtles are the best selling group of all time. Their sales are over 1 billion and climbing. Actually the top three top sellers are in this order: Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson. The Beatles record is even more impressive because they are listed as being active from 1960-1970 only 10 years, whereas Elvis is listed as being active from 1954 until his death in 1977 that's 23 years twice as long as the Beatles. And they are still number one. Also I didn't know the Colonel was a murderer, find out something new everyday.

Edited by Fiona

Guest Al Stevens
I went on wiki and found out that you are just picking facts that bloster your claim. According to RIAA and the Guinness Book of World Records the Bealtles are the best selling group of all time. Their sales are over 1 billion and climbing. Actually the top three top sellers are in this order: Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson. The Beatles record is even more impressive because they are listed as being active from 1960-1970 only 10 years, whereas Elvis is listed as being active from 1954 until his death in 1977 that's 23 years twice as long as the Beatles. And they are still number one. Also I didn't know the Colonel was a murderer, find out something new everyday.

Also to add to what Fiona put (hope you dont mind) using wiki to back up any for of discussion or debate is a very very bad idea. Wiki can be edited by everyone and anyone so all information should be taken with salt so to speak.

True story as well one university lecture wanted to find out how many people copy and paste information from the site. So he when on and put something up which was a complete lie, and then found out that over 80% of his students had put what he put

Also to add to what Fiona put (hope you dont mind) using wiki to back up any for of discussion or debate is a very very bad idea. Wiki can be edited by everyone and anyone so all information should be taken with salt so to speak.

Your correct wiki is factually incorrect at times, but I also checked with the Guinness Book of WR and the RIAA (Recording Insitute of America) before posting my reply, the figures are accurate . I have learned my lesson from past experiences. I don't think Zac did.

well thats what i do if i am looking on the net for essays.

So how you doing Fiona?

Okay I guess. Most of the links showed up as "Page cannot be displayed". But the RIAA site was there and it shows that in US sales Elvis is third behind Beatles and Garth Brooks. Wow. DC will be happy.

Just realized the time I have to go to my law class now I'll talk to you tomorrow probably. Have a good night.

Edited by Fiona

True story as well one university lecture wanted to find out how many people copy and paste information from the site. So he when on and put something up which was a complete lie, and then found out that over 80% of his students had put what he put

You are correct in saying that Wikipedia can be edited by almost anyone, but to dismiss it as you just have is very wrong. The moderators on Wiki are seriously strict and anything even remotely dodgy is removed within a few hours (usually less).

Just because it can be edited shouldn't downgrade the reliabilty of the site's information.

Guest Zac Efron

Okay fair do's im just posting from wiki your obviously adding The beatles record sales then Lennon's and MCcartneys solo sales too.

I have no hard on for Elvis I just appreciate that he had it all: Voice, Talent, Looks, Charisma and presence! And I honestley dont have a problem if some think the beatles are better than Elvis we all have different tastes.

I am just saying IMO that Elvis is probably the most recognisable person on the planet.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE BEATLES, I actually quite like them but im sure even Sir Paul would say Elvis was better than them, Lennon did im sure of it.

Sir Cliff has outsold both acts, in your face everyone! Well in the UK anyway according to that Channel 4 programme.

Elvis was the king indeed, Charisma personified ... The Beatles, played some nice join the dots pop songs, then took a load of drugs, wrote about drugs, met wierd people, became hippies and in the end self-imploded.

The Smiths were more influential than The Beatles

Okay fair do's im just posting from wiki your obviously adding The beatles record sales then Lennon's and MCcartneys solo sales too.

I have no hard on for Elvis I just appreciate that he had it all: Voice, Talent, Looks, Charisma and presence! And I honestley dont have a problem if some think the beatles are better than Elvis we all have different tastes.

I am just saying IMO that Elvis is probably the most recognisable person on the planet.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE BEATLES, I actually quite like them but im sure even Sir Paul would say Elvis was better than them, Lennon did im sure of it.

You do realise that the title of this thread was "Elvis Presley Opinions?" with a question mark at the end?

That means you were asking us our opinion on Elvis Presley. But everytime someone says something that you haven't agreed with, you have tried to prove them wrong. You shouldn't have asked for an opinion if you were going to argue them all.