Fan Clubs | beta

Elvis Presley Opinions?

Guest Zac Efron

I think Elvis was one of the most important things to have ever happened to music. He was a white boy playing black music, which was absolutely unheard of. He essentially paved the way for popular music, and that includes the Beatles. Without Elvis, I don't really think there would have been The Beatles. Lennon himself has said as such in the past.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alex Szollo
Elvis truly was a great entertainer,in spite of being called a "junkie" by some people.Sadly enough,he has been judged by people for doing drugs and stuff.Let's look a bit at the facts.First of all,he didn't do illegal drugs...that stuff he used was PRESCRIBED by a stupid doctor.Secondly,the impact he made on the musical world was and still is too big for people to judge what he did in his personal life.His songs are popular even now,at 30 years after he passed away! Yes, he might have had his flaws,but let's be realistic,who doesn't? We're all human beings,and we all have a good side and a bad side.All I know is he had a great voice,he worked well with his fans,he was a caring person and most of all,in spite of being rich,he was extremely modest.He didn't even like the title of "King of Rock'n Roll.His body might be dead,but through his voice,he'll live on in the hearts of those who love him.RIP.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Who you think made the biggest impact on music depends on who's music you favour IMO, Elvis fans say Elvis, Beatles fans say Beatles, Rolling Stones fans say Rolling Stones, I say Meatloaf (ok I don't be he is THE best singer EVER!)

I am not a fan of The Beatles songs nor of Elvis or The Rolling Stones but just because I don't like their songs I do not deny that each had a huge impact on the music industry and popular culture in general who made the biggest impact I would have to say Elvis

That is not to knock The Beatles or anyone else but there wouldn't have been a market for The Beatles, Stones or anyone else really had it not been for Elvis, he was the pioneer who made what was to come possible. If The Beatles were more financially sucessful, made better songs or had more fans is irrelavent as without Elvis blazing the trail bands like The Beatles, Stones etc would not have had the right pop culture climate to emerge into

Guest Zac Efron
Sorry had to go to work but I'm back now and ready to continue the discussion.

Elvis should have recorded Lennon's song that would have made him really cool. Don't even talk to me about his movies most of them were crap. And you were there to hear what Elvis said about meeting the Beatles. I think not. Listen I'm not saying Elvis wasn't good but he can't touch the Beatles in popularity or musical talent. He was a solo act and in his later years was terrible. That you can't say about the Beatles.

I am also a Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin fan. Love their music.

Wow that is just biased!

All im seeing the beatles have over Elvis is writing ability, Elvis has charisma, voice, looks over them and he is/was more popular than them.

He is everywhere you dont see millions of Beatles tribute acts you see some but Elvis impersonaters is a whole another phenomenon.

And know I wasnt there but from people who were there have said I have heard.

In the later years terrible? sorry that is just plain wrong.

Listen to his version of Bridge over troubled water and Unchained melody both are IMO better than the originals especially unchained melody it is almost haunting, yes he got fat and high but he could still sing and perform.

Wow that is just biased!

All im seeing the beatles have over Elvis is writing ability, Elvis has charisma, voice, looks over them and he is/was more popular than them.

He is everywhere you dont see millions of Beatles tribute acts you see some but Elvis impersonaters is a whole another phenomenon.

Listen to his version of Bridge over troubled water and Unchained melody both are IMO better than the originals especially unchained melody it is almost haunting, yes he got fat and high but he could still sing and perform.

Yeah and most of the Elvis impersonaters are terrible. I don't know why you are getting so upset I didn't say I didn't like Elvis. I just prefer the Beatles. If they were all alive and someone offered my tickets to either concert I would take Beatle tickets any day of the week. That's all I'm saying.

Guest Al Stevens
Wow that is just biased!

In a sense people could say the same about yourself. While you see loads of tribute acts however i would say there has been a hell of a lot more people who would site bands like the beatles and other artists (baring the crazy frog) to to say one person is the greatest and everyone else is nothing is beyond narrow minded

Guest Zac Efron
I appreciate that The Beatles are probably the greatest band off all time and have 2 of the best songwriters of the last century but I mean you can walk into most shops in your high street and see Elvis, and it doesnt matter rubbish or not they still impersonate him and I dont mind if you prefer Elvis I just cant see how you think The Beatles were more popular than Elvis.

Guest Al Stevens

I am actually saying that with any thing after a break from it and it returns it good but it doesn't have that spark.

A couple of great examples i can think of is the Star Wars movies the first set of movies was amazing it had it all in them however after 30 years and the newer films came out yest they was good (ok i lie the second and 3rd ones was amazing the first one was below par) however they was never as good as the first run.

I suppose this is how alot of people look at the two runs of Elvis, Elvis was a ground breaker and i will admit that. However the second he when off to do those films and returned he had to deal with no only the Beatles, the rise of what is now known as Classic Rock and the slow birth of pro rock and the grounding of metal.

It's like vampire films while the first recorded vampire film was called The Vampire (which was released in 1913) films like Blade and Underworld made them mega popular

Guest Al Stevens
I would say Elvis is more popular than the Beatles. I mean come on, who dresses up as a Beatle? No one. Elvis on the other hand, we're talking millions.

My Chemical Romance in the "The Black parade" video..... They should all be stung up by there love veg for that. Or face firing squad via the SAS

I read a post about Elvis' movies being crap, and the ones I did see when I was younger I didn't like, whereas I enjoyed A Hard Day's Night. Music wise, I like The Beatles ALOT more than I like Elvis... I'm not an Elvis fan.

I would say Elvis is more popular than the Beatles. I mean come on, who dresses up as a Beatle? No one. Elvis on the other hand, we're talking millions.

Oi, just to let you know I was actually going to get my haircut like John Lennon or Ringo Starr based on this picture...

http://uk.gizmodo.com/beatlesdigital.jpg

And the whole suit thing they had going on ruled, even though I don't wear them I have a thing for suits.

Elvis truly was a great entertainer,in spite of being called a "junkie" by some people.Sadly enough,he has been judged by people for doing drugs and stuff.Let's look a bit at the facts.First of all,he didn't do illegal drugs...that stuff he used was PRESCRIBED by a stupid doctor.Secondly,the impact he made on the musical world was and still is too big for people to judge what he did in his personal life.His songs are popular even now,at 30 years after he passed away! Yes, he might have had his flaws,but let's be realistic,who doesn't? We're all human beings,and we all have a good side and a bad side.All I know is he had a great voice,he worked well with his fans,he was a caring person and most of all,in spite of being rich,he was extremely modest.He didn't even like the title of "King of Rock'n Roll.His body might be dead,but through his voice,he'll live on in the hearts of those who love him.RIP.

Were you serious when you posted this? Where shall I start. Elvis was a drug user big time. He overdosed in the bog for god's sake. He wasn't modest look at Graceland for sh**t's sake it is a huge bloody mansion. Dont' you remember his white sparkly one piece suits with the capes attached. He was so over the top. Modest my a**. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good singer though.:doh30:

MCR attracts teenyboppers. It's horrible, some of the girls convince themselves that they're going to marry Gerard Way and they just sit there stroking a picture of him. *shudders*
That's hardly a new phenomenon Ray. Teen girls have done that for decades with different acts (Elvis included), so to single out MCR for that is a bit stupid.

That's hardly a new phenomenon Ray. Teen girls have done that for decades with different acts (Elvis included), so to single out MCR for that is a bit stupid.

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't singling out MCR, just pointing out that it happens with them.

"According to the RIAA, the Beatles have sold more than 106 million albums in the U.S. alone -- more than any other artist in this century."

According to wiki, "Elvis Presley disapproved of The Beatles's anti-war activism and open use of drugs, later asking President Richard Nixon to ban all four members of the group from entering the United States." Elvis also said that the Beatles "had been a focal point for anti-Americanism. They had come to this country, made their money, then gone back to England where they fomented anti-American feeling." These are not the words of a particularly modest man, and the mention of drug-use is ironic.

Guest Zac Efron
"According to the RIAA, the Beatles have sold more than 106 million albums in the U.S. alone -- more than any other artist in this century."

According to wiki, "Elvis Presley disapproved of The Beatles's anti-war activism and open use of drugs, later asking President Richard Nixon to ban all four members of the group from entering the United States." Elvis also said that the Beatles "had been a focal point for anti-Americanism. They had come to this country, made their money, then gone back to England where they fomented anti-American feeling." These are not the words of a particularly modest man, and the mention of drug-use is ironic.

Nice dig and what is wrong with his sentiments he served in the army so obviously he didnt have the same belief in that matter and yeah that was a little crazy considering the amount of prescription drugs he was taking, but so what I dont see the Beatles with countless tv specials people hundereds of thousands walking up to John Lennon's last place he lived on the anniversary of his death, like they do every August at Graceland.

I dont know why this turned into a Elvis vs the beatles thread anyways, I suppose it was bound to like TNA VS WWE in the us scene or Hogan vs Austin who was the biggest draw.