Fan Clubs | beta

Covers That Were Better Than The Original Version (Music)

Guest DarkMatchJobber

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Redneck Messiah
I think most would agree Cash's version of 'Hurt' is better than the original. Maybe. Possibly. Probably.

I dunno, it just seems more powerful and perfectly suited to Cash at that stage of his life, being close to death and with his own personal history and whatnot. Video is tremendous too so that probably sways people in its favour.

Both versions are stellar but different. I would say they are pretty equal and would never downplay the awesomeness of NIN's orig version. I'm a huge NIN fan though so could be biased. Cash's version is very haunting and I agree the video is outstanding. I also like Cash's cover of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage.....very good!

Crapsticks, I never realised that was a cover. Awesome song.

I would definately check out Failure's orig of The Nurse Who Loved Me. It's a little different and really good. APC puts a nice spin on it. Failure is sadly a little known band that put out three really solid cds in the 90's. The members of Tool were big fans of them as Ken Andrews directed an early Tool video. There's a nice covers cd by a band called The Replicants that include Andrews and Edwards from Failure, orig Tool basist Paul D'Amour, and Chris Pitman (who was in a another not well known band Lusk). Andrews and Edwards have some more good projects including Autolux, Year of the Rabbit, and ON. I can't say enough good things about Failure and really hope they get back together some day.

I think most would agree Cash's version of 'Hurt' is better than the original. Maybe. Possibly. Probably.

I dunno, it just seems more powerful and perfectly suited to Cash at that stage of his life, being close to death and with his own personal history and whatnot. Video is tremendous too so that probably sways people in its favour.

Even Reznor said that Cash's version eventually won him over and completely changed his view on the beauty of music. But that was more the video/song combo than just the song. I'd agree - NIN's song is better, but the visual and audio combo of Cash is a hell of as lot more heart wrenching.

Guest Redneck Messiah
And how could I forget.......Bitches ain't **** by Ben Folds (orig by Dr. Dre). I'd link to the video but not sure if that's against the rules as there is major swearing in it :) Edited by Redneck Messiah

Guest ScottyB
Also brings up the question:

Who did the best "Knocking On Heaven's Door"?

I'd personally say Guns N Roses.

Although, i'v only heard that, the original and Avril's version.

Also brings up the question:

Who did the best "Knocking On Heaven's Door"?

Or the best version of "Live and Let Die"?

I'd say Guns 'n' Roses did the best version of both tracks.

Also, who could forget The Mike Flowers Pops cover of "Wonderwall"?

Edited by DC

Guest Frank Botch
=Redneck Messiah;823178]And how could I forget.......Bitches ain't **** by Ben Folds (orig by Dr. Dre). I'd link to the video but not sure if that's against the rules as there is major swearing in it :)
Glad you added this. I'd never heard it before and now it's already one of my favourite covers.

My all time favourite cover or reinterpretation is Nick Cave's version of Stagger Lee

Big Black-The Model

Nirvana-Lake Of Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZ5rE8ujcA

Johnny Cash-The Beast In Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlL2O0Qria8

Nirvana D-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrBs1HkJoU

Guest ScottyB

Speaking of Bohemian Rhapsody, here's a link to Newton Faulkner doing it, acoustically and by himself.

EDIT: And here he is doing a much better version of foundations.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Spew. Out. Vitriol. About. Newton. Bloody. Faulkner.

What I will say is that he has ginger dreadlocks and he basta*dised the bejesus out of 'Teardrop'. Those reasons alone are enough to hate the man.