Fan Clubs | beta

Covers That Were Better Than The Original Version (Music)

Guest DarkMatchJobber

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anime Otaku
A.A.F's version of Smooth Criminal is better than the original IMO. Same with Marilyn Manson's covers of Personal Jesus and Tainted Love, actually TL is more of a tie I think.

I found

to be miles better than U2's version. My favourite cover ever. Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" is an obvious choice, and Rage Against The Machine do a fantastic "How I Can Just Kill A Man" by Cypress Hill, better the original (showcased with a "how f**king awesome are RATM live?" video).

I don't know about being better than the original, but Metallica do some belting covers. Their vocalless "Seven Nation Army" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sound ace, and their Misfits stuff is good too.

The Who doing Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran

RATM doing I'm Housin' and Renegades of Funk

The Lemonheads doing Mrs Robinson

Jimi Hendrix Experience doing All Along The Watchtower

Metallica also do a superb cover of Dire Straits "Brothers in arms".

Not bad, do prefer the original though but not bad.

I'm probably a little biased but I do slightly prefer Aslan's cover of

over Floyd's version (which I LOVE). They also do a mean version of 'Angie' by the Rolling Stones but the videos of it on youtube were done on some randomer's mobile phone and so the quality is the craps. I'd recommend downloading it.

Rodrigo y Gabriela did a instrumental only version of 'Wish You Were Here' too that I remember seeing during the Glastonbury highlights from last year that I liked. Crowd provided the vocals because it's a great sing-a-long song that everyone knows. Or at least should know.

Im tempted to say HIM do an amazing version of Rebel Yell after Saturday Night, but Im going to see Billy F'In Idol himself in July I think so I'll tell you then.

TRUSTcompany-Rock and Casbah and Time After Time are way better than the originals

and H.I.M's versions of Wicked Game and Dont Fear The Reaper are better than the originals IMO too

Speaking of Billy Idol, he did a great "Jump" by Van Halen when I saw him in 2005. His guitarist is frickin' awesome too - nailed everything perfectly, and has a banging girlfriend/groupie.

A few others I thought of:

-- Nickelback and Kid Rock doing "

" just for the added rock element to it. Makes it a littlemore aggressive, which is always nice. Ignore the stupid video though.

-- Daughtry doing "Hemorrhage" by Fuel is incredible, and led to Fuel asking him to be their new lead singer (which is declined).

-- Don't know how I forgot this, since myself and Darkstar have discussed it in the past, but "

" by Orgy is just mega~!

-- As Fletch said, "Wicked Game" by HIM is a great cover. Corey Taylor has a decent crack at it, but HIM have it nailed to be honest.

And in the "not better, but worth a gander" section:

-- Linkin Park do a fair amount of justice to "Wish" by Nine Inch Nails.

Edited by DraVen

Guest Jimmy Redman

A Perfect Circle "Gimme Gimme Gimme"

Atreyu "You Give Love A Bad Name"

Less Than Jake "Beauty School Dropout"

Johnny Cash "Hurt"

Limp Bizkit "Faith"

Ben Folds "Bitches Aint Sh*t"

In the 'Interesting' category, Ben Folds covers "Such Great Heights" on Australian TV with a bunch of drummers hitting glasses and boxes with spoons for percussion.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Evil Monkey
I quite like Machine Head's 'Message In A Bottle'. I like the Police version, but I prefer Machine Heads. Also, I don't think Marilyn Manson has done a bad cover yet.