Fan Clubs | beta

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Guest Michael89

From Digital Spy:

'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' breaks US box office records

Sunday, July 3 2011, 21:50 BST

By Tom Ayres, Entertainment Reporter

Michael Bay and Shia LaBeouf's final entry in the Transformers film franchise has topped the US box office in its opening weekend.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon has taken an estimated $97.4 million so far, and is expected to break the current domestic four-day record for the Fourth of July weekend held by Spider-Man 2.

Last week's box office-topping Pixar sequel Cars 2 falls to second place this weekend, taking $25.1 million, followed by Cameron Diaz's latest comedy Bad Teacher with $14.1 million.

The Tom Hanks-directed Larry Crowne, starring the Castaway actor opposite Julia Roberts, opened with a disappointing $13 million, while romantic comedy Monte Carlo rounded out the top five with $7.6 million.

This week's US box office top ten in full (studio estimates):

1. (-) Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $97,400,000

2. (1) Cars 2 - $25,110,000

3. (2) Bad Teacher - $14,100,000

4. (-) Larry Crowne - $13,000,000

5. (-) Monte Carlo - $7,600,000

6. (4) Super 8 - $7,500,000

7. (3) Green Lantern - $6,270,000

8. (5) Mr. Popper's Penguins - $5,100,000

9. (8) Bridesmaids - $3,520,000

10. (10) Midnight in Paris - $3,438,000

Not bad!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super 8 has done well...it's already surpassed the $100 million mark, I think it only cost around $50 million to make.

The domination continues...

'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' crushes UK box office competition

Monday, July 4 2011, 20:18 BST

By Simon Reynolds, Movies Editor

Transformers: Dark of the Moon has topped the UK box office on its first weekend on release.

Director Michael Bay's 3D robot blockbuster, starring Shia LaBeouf and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, pulls in £10.7 million in ticket sales after opening in Brit cinemas last Wednesday.

Dark of the Moon's opening surpasses the debut for Transformers in 2007 (£8.7 million) and its 2009 sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (£8.4 million).

Last week's chart leader Bridesmaids slips to number two, but still maintains a healthy second-week gross of £2 million. Kung Fu Panda 2, Bad Teacher and new release Larry Crowne - starring Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts - complete the top five.

Elsewhere, controversial Bollywood movie Delhi Belly opens at number nine with £155,000.

The UK box office top ten in full:

1. (-) Transformers: Dark of the Moon - £10,728,503

2. (1) Bridesmaids - £2,007,171

3. (2) Kung Fu Panda 2 - £728,598

4. (4) Bad Teacher - £512,069

5. (-) Larry Crowne - £346,486

6. (5) The Hangover Part II - £301,482

7. (3) Green Lantern - £279,485

8. (6) X-Men: First Class - £215,011

9. (-) Delhi Belly - £155,211

10. (7) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - £148,362

Source: Digital Spy

Not long back from watching it in 3D. I enjoyed it, best of the three films IMO. The fight scenes were clearer by far and it was nicely paced.

Nimoy was great, and I like the nod to Star Trek that he got to do.

KILLING IRONHIDE! THE F*CKERS. First the animated film, and now this. Though he went in the same basic way, just not by Megatron this time.

Yeah, could have been far worse.

Overall it was good. Much better than part two. On a par with part one bar these parts, the Chinese guy in the office was not funny at all and the lead actress, who was so bad I can't recall her name, killed any scene she had to talk in.

There was always going to be a big death in part three, as it was wrapping up the trilogy. Going in I thought it would be Bumblebee so Ironhide surprised me. Then of course later they teased killing Bumblebee and I really thought they were going to do it for a second. My two favourite characters dying.

There is hidden white text above as the spoiler tag does not seem to work as of this post.

• 6 months later...

I watched this yesterday for the first time, and last night it hit me why the film felt so familiar. The plot line is pretty much that of David Tennants final Doctor Who Story The End of Time.

Optimus Prime = The Doctor

Megatron = The Master

Sentinal Prime = Rassilon

Dylan Gould = Joshuha Naismith

Sam Witwicky = Wilfred Mott

The Pillars = Immortality Gate

Cyberton = Gallifrey

Barack Obama = Barack Obama

The familiarities in both the characters and plot lines are astounding really.

Does anyone know when the 2-disc Blu-Ray or DVD edition is out? The cheeky folkers released a "just the film no extras lol" edition just before Xmas, but savvy nerds are waiting for the 2-disc, which must surely be soon!?

Cheers!