Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

The Twilight Series: Books and Films

The Fury

You can't really say the story's bad considering that it's Pride And Prejudice. You can say that it's a rip, you can say it's a bad rip off, but, unless you're saying that one of the most beloved books ever written has a bad story, you can't really lay that criticism on it.

I never expected to say this to you, but... what utter testes thou speaketh sirrah. :P

I didnt say the story was bad, just that its not a good story. Its very generic and average. Girl meets boy, boy ignores girl, boy thaws and they fall in love. its just a standard story with nothing good or bad about it either way. Though the execution and additions are horrible.

I do have to add that I wasnt a huge fan of P&P, but thats by the by.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
That's pretty much what I meant, it's not a sh*tty story, it's... meh. If you're talking about why a lot of people HATE this film with the passion they usually save up for paedophiles and asylum seekers, I don't think story line is a reason at all.

There we go, I dont hate the film. I dont even hate the books really, as I have said before I do find them oddly compelling. But the flaws are there and the fact that these books are so popular makes me angry as they could have been so much bigger. Grrrr.

Guest John Hancock
I know you don't hate them, but a freakish amount of people do, and I really, really want to know why. I don't get these, "This product isn't aimed at my demographic, I thus HATE IT!" kind of people get how they do about things.

If you're talking about why a lot of people HATE this film with the passion they usually save up for paedophiles and asylum seekers, I don't think story line is a reason at all.

You got something to say to me, bud? :lol

I don't HATE Twilight, that is a pretty strong word for something I really don't have time for. I guess it's more annoying than anything. I have said that I read the first book, and honestly, It could have been worse. The author definitely has a lot of passion for her story and characters. I just didn't feel it. The style it was written in didn't appeal to me.

I know your post wasn't directed at me, JRock. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

The author definitely has a lot of passion for her story and characters.

Funny you say that...

"When I read it, it seemed like (grimaces) I was convinced that ... Stephenie was ... convinced that she was Bella, and uh, and you, it wasn't, it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published, like reading her ... her sort of sexual fantasy about some -- especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it's like, "Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy" and she just writes this book about it, and there's some things about Edward that are just so specific that it's like, I was just convinced that, that this woman is mad, she's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation."

Thats from the guy who plays Edward. :lol

hey it's a dime now, don't you know there's a credit crunch on? :P

You got 18 cents I can borrow?

I feel another cohesive thought coming on and I just might have to voice another opinion today and I'm a little short on funds.

EDIT: Speaking of funds. That's right on the money, Darkstar. That's exactly how the first book reads.

Edited by Maxximus

You got 18 cents I can borrow?

I feel another cohesive thought coming on and I just might have to voice another opinion today and I'm a little short on funds.

500% interest, sir. Baby needs new shoes...

Guest John Hancock
You got something to say to me, bud? :lol

I don't HATE Twilight, that is a pretty strong word for something I really don't have time for. I guess it's more annoying than anything. I have said that I read the first book, and honestly, It could have been worse. The author definitely has a lot of passion for her story and characters. I just didn't feel it. The style it was written in didn't appeal to me.

I know your post wasn't directed at me, JRock. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

And that's why I wasn't directing it at you. I mean, there are people seriously going out of their way to a freakish extent to express their dislike. For me, it's not even Twilight. I've just never been one to be able to hate something like that, that's just there, an inoffensive, and not even meant for me anyway.

Guest John Hancock
What bad message does it give out? Or is this one of these religious people who find strange reasons to hate things for odd reasons, like rock music or drinking or whatever?

What bad message does it give out? Or is this one of these religious people who find strange reasons to hate things for odd reasons, like rock music or drinking or whatever?

I have to ask, have you read the books? It shows a very unhealthy attitude as normal and acceptable. The main love interest is obsessive, controlling, emotionally abusive and the book shows it to be 'right' that Bella puts Edward above her friends and family despite only having known him a month.

And thats just the first book.

Guest John Hancock

I haven't read the books, no. I wasn't challenging anything, I genuinely wanted to just know. I saw the film, but never, and have no intention, of reading the books.

All those things are bad and all, but, again, Mr. Darcy was a d*ck to women. I do totally agree that the portrayal of the "perfect man" in modern media is horrific though.