The Book Club

The Twilight Series: Books and Films

The Fury

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the books, no.

I would advise doing so, you may understand why its so easy to seperate opinions of the books and the films.

Also, if anyone is more interested in why anyone would say the relationship is abusive

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/recycle-bin/edward-cullen-abusive-boyfriend-eclipse-spoilers/t.26745143/

its actually really interesting little read. Theres also a link for a detailed psychoanalysis of Edward. Now THATS going too far. :lol

I do agree that blaming it on Twilight would be a bad idea... if it wasnt so influential on teenage girls (and many a bored housewife...and given the glitter maybe very camp homosexuals).

That's why I think it's a big silly to blame it on Twilight.

Exactly my point. But you, Darkstar and myself, realize that there always has to be some sort of scapegoat for these fanatical religious zealots.

They have to have something tangible to attack and popular culture has always had a target on it's back regardless of the audience it's focused on.

I never would have thought that I would be so deeply immersed in a Twilight convo. :lol

Guest John Hancock
I should read the books to know why they're sh*t? Sounds a little masochistic for me. I barely have the time to read GOOD books. :P

I should read the books to know why they're sh*t? Sounds a little masochistic for me. I barely have the time to read GOOD books. :P

:lol

Less to know that they are shit but why they are. I would read another Twilight book if one came out, more because I could see so much promise in them that if Meyers abilities improved they could be great.

My family who like (I should say LOVE) Twilight have said the non Twilight books she writes are really bad. Just as an aside.

Guest John Hancock
I've heard that too, about her other books being rubbish, even from huge Twilight fans, like my girlfriend and my best friend, neither of whom liked the New Moon film by the way.

Guest Dante Spears

I can't count the number of times I've tried to read Twilight but as soon as I get to that mountain scene I need to stop to prevent my eyes from rolling out.

It's just bad. She can't write, and she's got a generation of young girls thinking that a good man is a possessive, obsessive, murderous, f***bin

I've never read any of the Twilight books and never seen any of the movies. I just can't help feel like I'm not missing on and anything though.

The second or third book has what amounts to a werewolf paedophile in it.
That's not accurate at all, Taj, and it's the fourth book, so you're obviously just going on something you read about somewhere else rather than the context of the story itself. That comment comes across in the same vein as those who want something banned (videogames, movies, whatever) by saying how terrible it is, even though they haven't seen/used it themselves.

As for Stephen King, my favourite "short" story, it's 150+ pages, is The Mist.

Edited by DC

Yeah its the fourth book, though its accurate as a description given Meyers comments about the nature of choices of people in her books.

edit:

From my old Blabbermouth article on Twilight.

Imprinting

For those of you lucky enough to have not read the books Imprinting is the method the werewolves use to ensure their species propagates, they basically create a psychic link that forces a woman to fall in love with them regardless of age. And its purely for reproduction… trouble is that Myers tries to avoid this by saying that imprinting makes the male

whatever is needed, whether that’s a brother or uncle or father.

But that’s all in the run up to sex. Now I don’t know about anyone else, but that sounds like something I have read before.

The deliberate actions taken by an adult to form a trusting relationship with a child, with the intent of later having sexual contact is known as child grooming. The act of grooming a child sexually may include activities that are legal in and of themselves, but later lead to sexual contact. Typically, this is done to gain the child's trust as well as the trust of those responsible for the child's well-being.

Credit: wiki.

OK, people (well, Twilights defenders) say that neither the male nor the female have a choice in the matter. Well the author disagrees.

They ended up being vampires in the way they are because I have strong opinions on free will. No matter what position you're in, you always have a choice. So I had these characters who were in a position where traditionally they would have been the bad guys, but, instead, they chose to be something different—a theme that has always been important to me."

HAH! So Jacob, the Werewolf, must have chosen to imprint on the newborn baby, and that poor kid has no choice but to be his plaything. Its almost like psychic rohypnol.

Edited by Paul

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Hwv1EbCkk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Hwv1EbCkk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Having not read the books and only seen a small part of the first movie I am not qualified to say much about this, however, the inclusion of Vampires and Werewolves into this sappy teenage girl fantasy love story instantly makes me loath it because I hate sappy teenage girl fantasy love stories and now won't be able to see a Vampire/Werewolf without thinking about Twilight and the ones in there and that angers me greatly.

New Moon' shines on record holiday box office

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES, Nov 29 (Reuters) - "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" rose to the top of movie box office charts for the second straight week on Sunday with a three-day haul of $42.5 million on a record-breaking holiday weekend in North America, according to studio estimates.

Over the five-day U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, the vampire romance starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner took in $66 million, pushing its two-week total in theaters to $230.7 million in North America, said independent studio Summit Entertainment, which backed the movie.

Internationally, the high-profile sequel to last year's monster hit "Twilight," based on the best-selling novels by Stephenie Meyer, has taken in $243 million for a worldwide total just under $475 million in two weeks.

Richard Fay, president of domestic distribution for Summit, said the movie continued to do strong repeat business from mostly teenage girls who are fans of the movies and books, and it was able to expand its audiences to include older women.

Total movie ticket sales for the five-day holiday period in North America reached a record $278 million, beating the old figure of $244 million set back in 2000 when "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "Unbreakable" were the two top films, according to sales tracker Hollywood.com Box-Office.

That's impressive.

Oh good God yeah, and I imagin the rest of the series will keep making more and more money.

Oooh, I cant wait to see if they do book 4 (Breaking Dawn), the vampire birth scene should make for an interesting challenge for keeping the PG rating.

Guest John Hancock
I've heard rumours that they won't actually do the fourth, and they'll just tie it up in the third. I can't imagine Eclipse doing as well as New Moon has, because I'm still to see anyone who's all that impressed with this sequel.

I've heard rumours that they won't actually do the fourth, and they'll just tie it up in the third. I can't imagine Eclipse doing as well as New Moon has, because I'm still to see anyone who's all that impressed with this sequel.
Following a poorly-received second installment didn't harm Ocean's Thirteen, so this could go the same way, especially as the target audience seem to be lapping it up.

Total Film's website has a story on the rumours that the fourth book will be split into two movies (like Harry Potter is going to be next year).