Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 117

Guest Sparrow

Guest Sparrow

So is anybody going to be watching this?

I'm not massively fussed about this card, but for some reason I am looking forward to it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sparrow
Props to Nelson, never liked him that much, but the VP before the fight and the fight itself, I am coming around to him now.

Guest The Cork

Great card, but Anderson Silva No.1 P4P guy?

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ****ING MINDS?

Sonnen sweeped all 5 rounds easily, had it of not been for that very debatable 'tap'.

Yeah, wow, Silva got slaughtered all the way through.

Was a real shame to see, but at the same time made for a darn entertaining fight as I was waiting for Anderson to pull out the huge knockout attack - and then it never really came.

Enjoyed it, although missed the first two rounds of the first fight.

The main problem is that Sonnen couldn't finish the man. He had every opportunity and failed. The better man won.

I'm also glad that Fitch and Guida won as well.

Clay Guida is one of my all time favorites. This right here tells the whole story...

http://a.imageshack.us/img812/339/eptsportsmmaexperts1373.jpg

Guest The Beltster
Very unimpressed with Silva again, dude is so much better than he has been in his last several fights. Roy Nelson might be able to take the most punishment in the UFC!

Guest Sparrow
Anderson Silva still has the Championship, and that's all that matters, since I was hoping he'd win. :)

Well not really, because if he keeps having fights like that, he won't have it for very long. Sonnen has to get a rematch. It was a awesome fight. Number 2 would sell.

Just watched it - just watched the Nelson/JDS, Hughes/Almeida and the Silva/Sonnen fights.

Nelson/JDS - Some chin (or chins in Roys case) on Nelson to take all those shots and still give JDS a thing or two to think about. Great showing by JDS all the same.

Hughes/Almeida - The latter looked like he was on crack or something :lol but a very nice submission by Hughes in clinical fashion.

Silva/Sonnen - Jesus where do you start?! Awesome fight. For me fight of the year by a good bit. Sonnen proved the world wrong (and I include myself in that) because I thought he would really struggle to get Anderson down. He really deserved better come the end and I think a rematch is now a MUST.

WAR SONNEN!

Guest John Hancock

Great, great show. Nelson and Sonnen both totally went above and beyond my expectations. Silva/Sonnen II surely has to be a serious possibility now.

Also, Anderson has proved his douchery by how long he kept that choke in. Can't wait to see the guy lose.

Guest Frank Botch
Really happy Sonnen lost, dude was annoying all through the run up and I don't blame Anderson for keeping the sub on longer than he should have. Also hilarious to see the racists come out on the MMA sites and say it wasn't a tap. Belfort should get the next shot. Rest of the card was pretty good, Strove took one of the worst beatings in a long time and came back to win, Hughes sub was pretty impressive and Clay was in another great fight.

Guest Sparrow
Really happy Sonnen lost, dude was annoying all through the run up and I don't blame Anderson for keeping the sub on longer than he should have.

Sonnen was selling the fight, he was being smart about it. All the trash talk mad me want to see this fight a lot more and I am sure I am not the only one.

Keeping the submission on for longer because of all that is uncalled for and very disappointing. It was a d*ck move from Silva and I hope he gets some sort of fine or something if it is a case of he kept it on to long on purpose or if it was just a misunderstanding.

Also hilarious to see the racists come out on the MMA sites and say it wasn't a tap.

Unless there is more to that story then you are not telling us. Are you saying they are racist because they are saying it was not a tap?! :doh32:

Guest Frank Botch
Do you visit many MMA forums, Sparrow? There's a lot of blatant racism on some of them. Even though I think it was clearly a tap I can see why people might not see it that way so I was more referring to the whole culture and in particular to some posters I've argued with in the past. I should've been clearer about that and, since it has nothing to do with this place, probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Guest Sparrow
Nah this is really the only forum I vist, so I have no experience with racism when it comes to MMA. I could see it was a tap out easily, he never said otherwise in the interview afterwards so he knows it was a tap out. None of us can say otherwise if he don't.

Guest Frank Botch
Only MMA forum I visit is Sherdog, and thats only after a Brock match, thats some funny shit.

Yeah it's pretty much the same on all the other forums, I'm not sure those guys will ever get over it..

Fitch comes out fighting!!!(this was actually before he won another boring, horrible fight)

The American Kickboxing Academy product has become a favorite target of fans that have an adverse reaction the instant a fight goes to the ground. Grinding out five straight decision victories will do that for you. Boring has become the adjective most frequently used to describe the former Purdue wrestling captain, and as he prepares to finally rematch Thiago Alves at UFC 117, Fitch has something to say to the anti-wrestling set.

“Either you’re a fan of the sport or you’re not. If you’re not a fan of the sport, go the [expletive] away,” offered the fighter who has amassed twelve wins in thirteen trips inside the Octagon. “Pardon my French, but go away. We don’t want you here, we don’t need you here, because there are plenty of people who love the sport the way it is. Go away. We’re not going to keep changing the rules just to appease the people who only want to see guys boxing with small gloves. Go away. Watch something else.

“The sport needs to be about the fights themselves and not about promotion,” theorized Fitch. “If we’re really going to be taken seriously as a sport and allowed into places like New York City, we need to be seen as a legitimate sport and not pro wrestling without scripted outcomes. It’s a dangerous line to play, that promotional line.

Dana is backtracking on Fitch getting a title fight now, possibly because he likes to promote fights.. Not sure what pro wrestling has to do with him being a boring fighter either.

Sonnen sweeped all 5 rounds easily, had it of not been for that very debatable 'tap'.
There wasn't any debate about the tap at all. Sonnen clearly tapped Anderson on the thigh to end the fight.

As for the show itself, I thought it was really good from top to bottom. Roy Nelson was immense with the punishment he took, but I'm not convinced Dos Santos would be able to do the same to either Brock or Cain.

The submission from Matt Hughes was un-f*cking-believable. I was very impressed by the way he finished that fight. Clay Guido is just awesome to watch and Fitch/Alves was good to.

Props also to the added fight between Stefan Struve and Christian Morecraft. Struve had one hell of a swollen lip and to come out in the second round and land a three-punch combination like that was immense.

Oh, and James Toney v Randy Couture is growing on me as a fight and I'm really interested to see how Toney transfers to the Octagon. I wonder if he'll enter the arena with his boxing titles.

What I do find funny is the ammount of people who slagged Brock for losing the first round and say he was shit for it, but are praising Anderson for his win. Double standards in MMA fans is funny as f*ck.