Martial Arts

UFC 121

Guest Rikidozan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Watch the footage of the trainer rubbing vaseline on it and 2 seconds later it pops back open, its gross! Thats a lifetime scar in the making right there.

How does GSP draw so much? Just wondering.

Because I know he's very good, but his fighting style is quite boring and he doesn't have that cocky personality that most top drawing fighters have.

He's a great fighter, likeable guy and the UFC are amazing at marketing people I guess.

Guest carlito is cool
How does GSP draw so much? Just wondering.

Because I know he's very good, but his fighting style is quite boring and he doesn't have that cocky personality that most top drawing fighters have.

GSP has all the tools to be a big cross over star for the ufc Great athlete, nice humble guy, good looking dude, excellent athlete, speaks well although i do agree that while dominent his fights recently haven't been the most exciting.

Lesnar will probably remain the top draw though a 3rd fight with Mir i guess will happen next and will be huge. A big win there and Lesnar will either be back in with a title shot or one fight away.

Lesnar does need to evolve a little especially his stand up he has to be the worst striker to ever hold the ufc hw title his hands are horrible and he doesnt really utilise his kicks. Hes been getting by on his brute strength, athletsicm and his wrestling so far. IMO Lesnar will come back and have success but unless he evolves he will never truly dominate like a silva or gsp have done and be remembered an atg.

Guest Frank Botch

Payout:

UFC 121 salaries: Brock Lesnar's $400,000 tops event's $1.5 million payroll

Despite his main-event defeat and losing his heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar was the top earner at this past weekend's UFC 121 event and earned $400,000 of the night's $1.513 million disclosed payroll.

MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested and today received the list of salaries from the California State Athletic Commission.

Tito Ortiz ($250,000), Velasquez ($200,000) and co-main-event winner Jake Shields ($150,000) were other top earners from the card, which took place Oct. 23 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The full list of UFC 121 payouts included:

Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

Jake Shields: $150,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

def. Martin Kampmann: $27,000

Diego Sanchez: $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

def. Paulo Thiago: $18,000

Matt Hamill: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)

def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000

Brendan Schaub: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $67,000

Court McGee: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Ryan Jensen: $10,000

Tom Lawlor: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Patrick Cote: $21,000

Daniel Roberts: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Mike Guymon: $8,000

Sam Stout: $32,000 ($16,000 win bonus)

def. Paul Taylor: $16,000

Chris Camozzi: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Dongi Yang: $8,000

Jon Madsen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Gilbert Yvel: $30,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays. They also do not include portions of the pay-per-view revenue that some top-level fighters receive.

Now I know Tito needs to employ a small army of doctors for those injuries he always has before fights but $250,000 is just ridiculous...

Guest Frank Botch
Last Saturday's UFC 121, which was headlined by a UFC heavyweight championship bout between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez, is trending just north of 1 million pay-per-view buys, industry expert Dave Meltzer reports in the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscription required).

The earliest PPV numbers, which this early in the game is at best a rough estimate, is slightly more than 1 million, putting it in the same range as all the biggest events in company history except UFC 100. It's too early to tell if it beat the numbers for the Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin fight. Carwin was a bigger star, and because of his knockout finishes and bigger size, to the public, had a better chance to win. Velasquez, if numbers are better, would have proven to be a better draw based on the stronger hype specials and being an ethnic draw. The build up to this fight had three of the six biggest hype show numbers in UFC history, during a time period when most company TV numbers have been way down.

Heading into the show, I predicted 1.05 to 1.2 million buys for this show and that looks to be about right. As Meltzer notes, the Primetime specials for this show did great for Spike TV, a clear sign of interest in this fight. But beware, this is an early estimate and they have been proven (as in the case of UFC 117) to be wildly inaccurate. Still, that trending number seems to be an outlier. Lesnar has never done less than 1 million buys for a title fight in his career. I think this number will hold up and be very close to the final number, as all signs (fight night trending, Spike TV ratings) indicate there was tremendous interest in this fight

http://www.mmaforreal.com/2010/10/28/1779032/report-ufc-121-trending-to-slightly-more-than-1m-ppv-buys#comments

Guest Rikidozan
Interesting. Obviously an immediate test of Velasquez's drawing power will be his very first title defence against JDS. Poor Cain, in a way, he doesn't get much breathing time- he has to draw and fight the best stand-up guy in the UFC.