Fan Clubs | beta

Supernatural discussion thread

The Icon

Guest John Hancock
I think the smoke was actually ghost smoke, from a recently extinguished fire that was put out in mysterious, yet tragic circumstances. WoOoOoOoO!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My strange one was when my Grandad died, everyone in the family had come to see him and we were playing cards on the dining room table. No one was leaning on the table but the cross support cracked and the table split in half.

10 minutes later we had a call saying he'd died.

As for ghosts themselves, I like the idea that they are actually pheremones that people pick up and turn into visual signals. I haven't read the cracked article but scientists have said that pheremones can last for centuries and we are so good at picking them up we'll translate them.

Guest Jayfunk
I've not seen a ghost because ghosts don't exist.

This. Bascially it's like asking "Have you ever seen a fairy or a troll?" (not the internet kind)

Edited by Saz

Guest John Hancock

That's not even slightly true. When I was in Iceland, I met a lot of people there who believed in trolls, because that's a part of their culture, and I had (they're of the generation which is now dead) Russian, Polish and Belorussian relatives who believed in forest spirits and zombies (EDIT: zombies are a really, really common Eastern-European Jewish belief called dybbuks. They're sort of a cross between a traditional zombie and a German doppelganger), because that was their culture in the same way that ghosts and angels are part of ours. Just because you think their unprovable semi-mythical creatures are impossible and stupid, doesn't make it any less valid than ghosts, which a lot of "us" believe to be equally impossible and stupid.

That's like a Christian saying that "Do you believe in God?" is a valid question, but "Do you believe in Allah?" isn't.

Edited by John Hancock

That's not even slightly true. When I was in Iceland, I met a lot of people there who believed in trolls, because that's a part of their culture, and I had (they're of the generation which is now dead) Russian, Polish and Belorussian relatives who believed in forest spirits and zombies (EDIT: zombies are a really, really common Eastern-European Jewish belief called dybbuks. They're sort of a cross between a traditional zombie and a German doppelganger), because that was their culture in the same way that ghosts and angels are part of ours. Just because you think their unprovable semi-mythical creatures are impossible and stupid, doesn't make it any less valid than ghosts, which a lot of "us" believe to be equally impossible and stupid.

That's like a Christian saying that "Do you believe in God?" is a valid question, but "Do you believe in Allah?" isn't.

I don't think it's stupid in any way. I just don't believe anybody has actually ever seen a Troll. Even those who use it in their culture have never actually seen one. Also the Irish have Trolls, or leprachauns as we say, in our culture but nobody has actually seen one. Because there is none really.

Guest John Hancock

And they'd say that you're wrong, and that they have, whilst I believe that no one has seen a ghost, and you will tell that I'm wrong, and that you have. Surely you can see that it's the exact same issue, just with the name of the beastie changed.

http://www.whygoiceland.com/elves-in-iceland.html

Edited by John Hancock

And they'd say that you're wrong, and that they have, whilst I believe that no one has seen a ghost, and you will tell that I'm wrong, and that you have. Surely you can see that it's the exact same issue, just with the name of the beastie changed.

I lump trolls with mythical creatures like Vampires and Wearwolves. Not with supernatural like Alien or Ghosts So No I see it as a different issue. Mythical and Supernatural are of course similiar in some ways but in others are very different. Either way I have little belief in any of the above. (Life on other planets yes. Aliens no.)

Guest John Hancock

But then why are you dismissing Jay's point like there's so genuine difference?

Ghosts VS Trolls

- People claim to have seen both

- There is no direct evidence for either

- Both are countered by science

- Most people don't believe in either

- Both have their roots in fiction

The only difference is that YOU believe in one and YOU don't believe in the other. That's fine, that's what religious people do every day, but you can't say that Jayfunk's point wasn't completely valid just because of your personal beliefs.

Guest John Hancock
Bascially it's like asking "Have you ever seen a fairy or a troll?"

Not it's not like that at all.

What do you mean by that then? Other then disagreeing with Jayfunk, just because he's Jayfunk?

I just don't see the two things as sharing anything in common. They are different type of myths despite what you would like to believe. Also the roots of Ghosts are in oral talking and pictures, not in writing. The writing came after. Cavemen were drawing pictures of Ghosts, and talking about them when they could talk. Edited by The Icon

What I would like to believe? :lol

What's the difference then, go on.

I don't really want to bore you but if you really want to know I will try and write something out for you. But I am on my phone now so later.

EDIT. Ok anyway you win. You seem to have more knowledge on the subject anyway. Let us get on with the chat at hand.

Edited by The Icon

When I was 5, the day after my Granddad died, I was staying at my Nan's and woke up in the middle of the night. I swore blind that I saw my Granddad standing in the corner of the room, smiling and waving at me, like when he used to pick me up from school.

As I got older I started to believe less in ghosts, and more in the power of your mind giving you something reassuring. I didn't get chance to say goodbye, so my mind made a way for me to get some kind of closure. So in instances like that, where people say they saw someone just after they died, I think it's your brain's way of getting you to make some kind of peace with them passing away?

I dunno. I don't think there's "ghosts" floating around everywhere, but some strange unexplainable stuff happens and ghosts are the easiest way for some folks to get their heads around it.

Guest John Hancock
When I was 5, the day after my Granddad died, I was staying at my Nan's and woke up in the middle of the night. I swore blind that I saw my Granddad standing in the corner of the room, smiling and waving at me, like when he used to pick me up from school.

Exact same thing happened to me when I was 13. The fact it was the middle of the night gave it away for me, it was obviously just some coping mechanism because I was really, REALLY upset (I effectively lived with my Granddad for a lot of my life) mixed with being half asleep. I never believed in was a ghost, but it definitely happened.

Like you said, I think ghosts are just a way for people to explain things they might not understand.

When I eventually pass on I hope to prove that Ghosts exist. By becoming one and haunting Hancock.

No just joking. Some weird physical anomaly isn't direct evidence for anything. E.G. what I saw in my Grandparents does not prove that Ghosts exist. But they might. I just do not really believe even though I do think I saw one. Or saw something.

Note this is not to discuss the existence or not of said. Just to share your supernatural experiences if any.

Makes for a pretty boring thread, I agree, but arguing about the existence of ghosts is really going against the theme of this. If you don't believe in Ghosts or have never seen a ghost, the answer is no, if you have, relate the story.

Either that or I can change the thread to supernatural discussion.