Fan Clubs | beta

Supernatural discussion thread

The Icon

Does anybody know what a Bansee is? I saw one when I was a boy. Of course it was at night and it was likely as not imagination or mispreception. But still it was the most scared I have ever felt. Even now I can recall exactly the fear I felt. Three weeks later my Grandfather died. For those that don't know legend says if you see one an older member of your family will soon die.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bansee or Banshee?

Though there's usually a million different ways of saying it. Aren't they supposed to be ghosts that wail for whatever it is they've lost or something?

I've only ever seen it spelt "banshee". I've also honestly never in my life heard any suggestion that they're supposed to be real.

Almost every older person in Ireland would disagree with you as they mostly believe it is real. I don't despite seeing it. I just think I saw something and my conception saw something else.

Also they are meant to have lost their comb Saz.

Oh And I spelt it wrong it is always banshee.

Not always. Bansidhe would be a more than acceptable spelling (sidhe being a name for a fairy like race in many Celtic mythologies).

My irish family certainly dont believe in them at all, though they are all from the North. Maybe the people from the Rupublic are more backwards. :P

Disagree with me about what? I said that I'd never heard of them. Would old Irish people disagree that I've never heard of banshees?

You did not say you never heard of them. You said something different.

I've also honestly never in my life heard any suggestion that they're supposed to be real.

That is what you said. That is what they would disagree with as they believe. They would suggest they were real

Guest John Hancock
Are you ill? Read what I said again. You even quoted it. I've never heard of the concept of banshee being non-fictional. "I'VE NEVER HEARD" being the key phrase there. Not "I don't believe", or "no one believes", or "no one's ever heard", I quite clearly said that, until you said it, I'd never heard of them them supposedly being real, and then you said that old Irish people would disagree with me, so you're saying that old Irish people think I HAVE heard of them being non-fictional?

Ok guys, let's not get bogged down over what people say, it was pretty clear the spirit of what John Hancock was trying to say, even if his English was a bit squew iff.

Don't be so defensive Icon, he's not out to reopen any challenge of your beliefs.

Though I thought Hancock would have at least read the X-Men... For shame Hancock, for shame! :)

Not always. Bansidhe would be a more than acceptable spelling (sidhe being a name for a fairy like race in many Celtic mythologies).

If you're going all Gaeilge, it'd be spelled "Bean" so, as bean means woman which the banshee is.

Is true. I was going for the version that it had morphed into as time went by and it left the Celtic languages. Banshee is the one its at now, but Bansidhe was in fairly common usage not that long ago.

it was still in acceptable use in the 70's when I was a kid.