Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight Forum News and Comments 2013

Guest John Hancock

Guest John Hancock

New year, new thread.

Post any news or thoughts on MMA, boxing, kick-boxing, martial arts or any other combat sport that you think don't deserve their own thread here.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

Dana White apologises for the last eight months of Zuffa's ownership of Strikeforce;

[video=youtube;Zxl8b9DBz_4]

Fair play to Dana for the apology. Plenty of good fighters have been f*cked over and it's unacceptable.

A quick comment about the boxing on NBC. The first card, headlined by a Leo Santa Cruz title defence, got 1.8m viewers which is a solid number. The second card, headlined by Adamek vs. Cunningham, got 3.2m viewer, which has gone over well with the network. Both were very good fights too. Hopefully this means more boxing cards on major networks in America. HBO and Showtime have been great for boxing but there's a place for mainstream shows too.

Nice to see Melvin Manhoef apparently getting his career back on track with a 3rd win in a row, the guy was a beast at one point [video=youtube;6cUZ16Y1gbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUZ16Y1gbo

Also don't know about you guys but I cannot stand Mauro Ranalllo on commentary especially when he tries to turn a phrase.... cringe worthy

Speaking of Beasts...

[video=youtube;0ZwMP3avuIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ZwMP3avuIE#!

Edited by Eddie

Guest The Beltster
Overeem looks to have lost that steroid bloat he had on his arms etc and he looks much smoother. Still a huge dude though.

Guest Frank Botch
Longtime UFC play-by-play man Mike Goldberg missed UFC 155 on Saturday, because he’s in rehab for pill addiction, according to a report by Terez Owens.

Goldberg has been with the UFC since 1997 and has not missed a major show before this past weekend. Jon Anik, who does the UFC’s events on FX and Fuel TV, filled in, partnering with longtime color commentator and comedian Joe Rogan.

A source told the gossip website that Goldberg is addicted to adderall.

All UFC president Dana White said of the last-minute replacement was “(Goldberg is) taking time off and is not working this weekend. I don't know when he will be back.”

Goldberg tweeted the night of the event thanking supporters for well wishes.

“UFC FANS are AS REAL as IT GETS!” Goldberg wrote. “Bummed to miss the rematch but health first. Enjoy the fights..HERE WE GO!!!”

Goldberg, 48, also works for Fox Sports Net and has a background in hockey broadcasting. He was involved with the UFC long before the organization caught any kind of traction nationwide and his chemistry with Rogan cannot be overstated.

If the report is correct, it’s a sad story, but at least he’s getting help. Goldberg has been nothing but good for the sport of MMA over the years, giving it quite literally a voice.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/ufc_play_report_play_man_in_rehab_JvyCnJ31Z7torDJH0leREM#axzz2Gs6Ndi00

OH MY GOODNESS, IT IS ALL OVER.

In all seriousness though, I hope he kicks it. And if it takes around 15 years for him to kick it even better.

I was wondering what happened to Goldberg. I knew it had to be something semi serious. All the stories I hear about the guy, he sounds super professional despite his problems or whatever. I'm glad he's gettin' help. Gonna miss all the inside Joe Rogan digs on commentary though.

Guest John Hancock
Goldie's saying the drug story isn't true, and he was being treated for side effects to asthma medication. He also said he'll be back by the end of the month, probably returning on UFC on FOX 6.

Guest John Hancock
Overeem has been re-licensed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, so Overeem/Bigfoot on SuperBowl weekend is confirmed. If Overeem wins, he gets a title shot.

I don't normally quoting things from the Observer for your FREELOADERS but I found this interesting:

For the year, the UFC had to change 52 PPV matches in 14 shows (An average of 3.7 per show) due to either injury or drug test failure or other reason for cancellation. Combining all shows, changes were more than double that number.

“Rousimar Palhares tested positive for elevated testosterone and Joey Beltran tested positive for nandrolone, following their respective bouts at UFC on FX 6 in Australia. The UFC organization has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents. Both athletes have agreed to serve a nine-month suspension retroactive to December 14. They must pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to compete again.”

:roll

Drug cheats in fight sports need longer than a 9 month ban. For most guys that's, what, 2 fights out? It's a joke.

Guest John Hancock

[video=youtube;Z5WdixhZQA8]

- Cormier wants Mir on Fox in San Jose

- He has no interest in fighting Cain Velasquez

- His dream fight is against Jones at 205.

That's bad news for the heavyweight division. Look like it's going to be JDS/Cain for the rest of the decade.

I dunno, Mark Hunt's always around. He won a tug of war contest in Japan last week.

I'm also upset that Daniel Cormier is looking past the challenge he faces tonight in Dion Staring.

Edited by Chris2K

Guest John Hancock
UFC on FOX 7 looks like it's going to be a bit of a Strikeforce vs. UFC super-card. The two fights announced so far are Henderson/Melendez for the Lightweight Title, and Cormier/Mir for meh.

Ronda Rousey messed up quite seriously on Twitter. She retweeted a conspiracy theory video...about the Sandy Hook murders. Very distasteful, and hopefully it ruins her popularity.

She's annoying and hypocritical. Her comments on GSP being popular because he's good looking were funny. If she wasn't good looking, the UFC wouldn't have a womens division and she'd be getting $150 for beating some fat wench on a show in some hick town. Nobody cares that she's a good fighter, the intrigue is solely because she, like Carano, is attractive. GSP could be ugly and he'd still be a massive attraction, unlike her.

A while back, she blasted one of the Kardashian sisters because of how they use sex to publicize themselves. Fast forward a year or so, and she's coming out with a classless interview about how she likes as much sex as possible before a fight.

She's probably one of my least favourite fighters. Hopefully the end of her popularity comes sooner rather than later.

Edited by Jack

Guest John Hancock

There could be some pretty big changes to the UFC on TV coming. FX is stopping all it's sports program, Fuel is becoming Fox Sports 1, and Speed is becoming Fox Sports 2. Fuel/Fox Sports 1 is in 37 million American homes, Speed/Fox Sports 2 is in 81 million, and FX has about 100 million. A change over from Fuel to Fox Sports 2, now that they're both generic sports channels, could more than double UFC on Fuel's viewing figures, whilst a move from FX to Fox Sports 2 would lose UFC on FX 20% of it's audience.

EDIT:

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/14911_10151419212449479_1211855352_n.jpg

GSP's shirt.

Also, if the old cowboy white hat/black hat cliche reference with the shirts was intentional, then who ever thought of that deserves a short round of applause.

Edited by John Hancock