Martial Arts

Random Fight Forum News and Comments 2013

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
That makes the most sense of anything I can think of, but, even then, that's a ridiculous north-south position, because your body's on top of the guy instead of next to him, head-to-head. Even if he'd landed with his legs apart, he'd just be in some wacky reverse mount with no option other than to punch the dude in the balls, leaving himself super easy to sweep and completely unprotected against a rear naked choke. He to a really risky, complicated path that lead, at best, absolutely no where :lol

Guest The Beltster

Not sure if this has been posted before but its f*cking hilarious.

[video=youtube;-OKajeLlyYw]

"You heard it here first: He's here for working, this is his family..."

:lol

Edited by The Beltster

Just realised that Gegard Mousasi has been signed up to fight Gustafasson, should result in fireworks, a win here for Gegard could shake up the division too.

Jose Aldo's next challenge? Anthony Pettis of all people, dropping to 145 to fight Aldo on August 3rd. It's already being touted as a "superfight" as the word "superfight" continues to be diminished to the extent that it won't matter very soon.

Looks like ESPN might not be long for the UK screens as now they've lost the Premier League rights Disney are looking for a way to get out.

Hopefully the UFC gets picked up by someone even if it's Sky. Let's just hope it's not Premier Sports.

Guest John Hancock
Sky are owned by the same people who own FOX/FX/Fuel, so it would make sense. Probably means no more "free" pay-per-views in the UK though, they'd go to Sky Box Office like the wrestling.

I'd be all for Sky getting it. It might not be popular belief, but I'm all for Sky monopolising Sports to a certain extent. It makes it easier for me to have all my stuff in one place.

I'd be all for Sky getting it. It might not be popular belief, but I'm all for Sky monopolising Sports to a certain extent. It makes it easier for me to have all my stuff in one place.

Or 500 different places under one umbrella. Coming soon "Sky Sports 8: THE OCHO".

On Inside MMA Cyborg Santos's manager Tito Ortiz (seriously, he's a manager now and she's his first client) stated that because the UFC refuse to have a Rousey/Cyborg fight at any weight other than 135 that Ortiz has asked the UFC to release Cyborg from her contract. Dana is apparently waiting to talk to Lorenzo to see if they're going to grant the release.

Tito Ortiz would make a great pro wrestling manager. This shows he doesn't make a very good MMA manager.

Northern Ireland have a new star in Carl Frampton. A brilliant performance on Sky earlier, stopping the very tough Kiko Martinez. Hopefully he'll get a world title shot next year and if he goes on to win a belt, he'll be a superstar.

In pseudo-MMA news it appears that all forms of wrestling will be dropped from the Olympics from 2020 onwards. If that is the case I can see a huge influx of top level college wrestlers into MMA in the next five/six years as without the Olympics to aim for I would think a lot of them will just start training for MMA once their college careers are over.

Guest John Hancock

Random bits and bobs coming out of Dana's press appearance for the upcoming London show.

- He had another really bad Ménière's disease attack and had to cancel some appearances during a media tour of Ireland.

- Dominick Cruz will probably fight the interim champion next, and won't be stripped of the title.

- The UFC plan to do at least one British (or Irish, Dana sucks at geography) show every year in mid-February for at least the next three years. Manchester and Dublin could host shows in 2013.

- There's going to be big shows in China, India and South Africa.

- The UFC are having meetings all of next week over the future of their British T.V. contracts, specifically getting all the FOX, FX and Fuel shows on British T.V. If they get a better deal, the UFC will do more British and Irish shows. The UFC want Sky Sports.

- The semi-main-event of the upcoming show in Sweden has been cancelled not because of injury, but because the UFC decided the fight was too good for a European card.

- Gustaffson is the number one contender if he beats Mousassi.

- Vitor Belfort will fight Luke Rockhold in the main event of an upcoming show in Brazil.

- Cyborg is claiming she'll die if she loses ten pounds, which Dana dismisses as "goofy". The UFC offered the possibility of a non-title fight between Cyborg and Rousey at 145lbs, but she turned it down. Dana calls her attitude "insane", called her "irrelevant", and made comments about her steroid abuse. The UFC was willing to let her fight in Invicta whilst still contracted to the UFC to help her get fights whilst waiting for Rousey because the UFC has no women's featherweight division. Cyborg said "no" to that too.

- There's no times or places set for Silva vs. Weidman. Chicago, Las Vegas, Texas and Brazil are the front runners.

- Silva wants to fight Bisping in London, but it's unlikely that it'll happen.

- UFC is talent-scouting in Ireland and Mexico.

- A straw-weight division is in the works, but nothing confirmed. It's mostly for the sake of the new Asian fighters.

- The UFC will have at least one show in Mexico in 2013, and there might be an Ultimate Fighter: Mexico.

Edited by John Hancock

Guest John Hancock
Some more potentially ha-uge news; The State of New York may be looking to settle the lawsuit brought against it by the UFC out of court, which, if true, would legalise MMA in the New York before the end of the month.

Guest The Beltster
If UFC get to run the Garden, the first card they put in there would likely be stacked! I'm sure I read somewhere they have already booked MSG for November and did so several months ago so they must have had a feeling something was going to get done.