Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE Payback 2013 Discussion Thread - June 16, 2013 from Chicago, IL

TPIB

The inaugural edition of WWE Payback will come to you, live on pay-per-view, on June 16 from the Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL (CM Punk's Hometown).

The official theme song for Payback is "Another Way Out" by Hollywood Undead off of the album, "Notes from the Underground".

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/images/posters/wwe-payback-2013-poster.jpg

Confirmed Matches

CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho

WWE Championship: Three Stages of Hell Match:

John Cena © vs. Ryback

World Heavyweight Championship:

Dolph Ziggler © vs. Alberto Del Rio

Intercontinental Championship: Triple Threat:

Wade Barrett © vs. The Miz vs. Curtis Axel

United States Championship:

Dean Ambrose © vs. Kane

WWE Tag Team Championship:

Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns © vs. Randy Orton & Daniel Bryan

Divas Championship:

Kaitlyn © vs. AJ Lee

Pre-Show Exclusive:

Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow

In the Three Stages of Hell Match, the first stage will be a 30-Man Lumberjack Match, the second stage will be a Tables Match, and the third stage, if necessary, will be an Ambulance Match.

Edited by Kam

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

I dont think the June PPV has had the same name for two years in a row since...

...OK: Payback, No Way Out, Capitol Punishment, Fatal Four Way, Extreme Rules/The Bash, One Night Stand/Night of Champions, One Night Stand/Vengeance: Night of Champions...

...since 2008!

Guest Fatherof10minis
They should go old school and bring back the King Of The Ring PPV. It was originally a June PPV I beleive.

Guest John Hancock
They actually should. King of the Ring was a fun concept, and it's lost on RAW, especially as the only thing that comes from it is a really out of place vague medieval royalty gimmick. I'd love to see a tournament with the first two rounds on RAWs and Smackdowns building up to the semi-finals and final on pay-per-view, with the winner really being pushed as the next sort of chosen one. I guess the main reason it won't happen is because WWE can't stick to their guns for more than a month, and the winner would probably get fired in a week for pulling a mean face at a child or something.

Guest Fatherof10minis
I liked the original format with all the rounds on the PPV itself. You could insert both WWE and WHC title matches in the mix to break up the brackets and have the finals be the Main Event of the PPV. Problem is that WWE puts in way too many plugs and video packages to fit in this manymatches. I just think of the early KOTR winners and how for the most part it meant something. Bret, Owen, Austin, Hunter.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Have a look at some old KOTR brackets and tell me that people these days wouldn't revolt at a PPV full of 5 minute matches. I think the 'semis and final on PPV' concept works best.

Not to mention the embarrassing mass evacuation that would ensue if WWE put Midcarder A vs Midcarder B as the main event of a PPV. The KOTR final was never the main event of the KOTR PPV anyway.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, this ain't no Deadly Game. Semis and final on the pay-per-view with the rest of the card as normal pay-per-view matches, including title matches. That's the way I'd do it.

Guest FreeSpirit
F*ck whatever the PPV name is. It's in Chicago, so we can expect a hot crowd that night YES!!

June 16th is my birthday, so I may well stay up to watch this (depending what state I'm in).

With this being held in Chicago shall we begin the talk of whether this is Punk's return now, or am I still a couple of weeks early for that?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Oh no it is NEVER too early to begin the "Punk HAS TO come back here right guys?!" conversation.

If you can somehow combine that with a theory on the PPV poster and why it obviously means Randy Orton will win a World Title on the show, that would be fantastic.

The KOTR final was never the main event of the KOTR PPV anyway.
It was the main-event in 1993, but that's the only time the final closed the show.

Guest Ciaran The King
Unless Orton turns completely psycho over the next month then I don't wanna see him become World Champion, his character has become predictable and boring. On the subject of a Punk return who exactly is there for him to challenge/face?

Ummm, anyone? Like, they could bring Punk back and put him in there with literally anyone. That's the beauty of taking time off, it's gives them a clean slate (to a certain extent) for what to do with the guy that's returning.

Guest Edgehead
I'm totally behind the idea of bringing back the KOTR. Can't believe they ever got rid of it, it was a great stepping stone when you look at past winners such as Austin, HHH, Kurt Angle, Edge & Brock Lesnar

Personally, I would love to see a scenario where Punk would be a part of Payback in the role of a commentator. Really, part of me wants to see Punk in a match, but another part of me wants Punk to be 100% when he does return to the ring.

While I agree that Punk needs to be a part of Payback in some capacity, I still think his in-ring return is best saved for SummerSlam.

Also, they announced on RAW that Cena will face Ryback with the title on the line in an Ambulance Match.

Edited by TPIB

Guest FreeSpirit

Credit:

wwe.com

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/salleynev1/970917_10151455268676443_1346345564_zps6e1dcf92.jpg