Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC Fight Night Is Back!

Guest John Hancock

Guest CMHunk
Dan Henderson is the Mark Hunt of light-heavyweights. He just needs to fight other washed up guys until the end of time.

there's a lot to be said for this in general. It's great that the best fighters get to fight the best, but the Pride model of just putting on exciting fights shouldn't be completely ignored. Neither Shogun or Hendo could really win the Light Heavyweight title right now but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to go out there and fight other similar guys producing exciting fights.

Honestly, why is the women's division usually so exciting? Because it's basically what the men's division was years ago. It's still emerging, stars can come in who are elite athletes in one discipline and be competitive right from the off, the holes in the fighters games actually often make the fights more exciting. They're aren't all round polished MMA fighters cancelling each other out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
I agree, the money-weight division (I think Josh Koscheck invented the name) is a real thing, as it should be; Henderson, Shogun, Wanderlei, Hunt, Sonnen, possibly Overeem in a year or two, and probably tonnes of other guys I'm forgetting. Fights don't have to be about rankings or titles, sometimes, it's fun just to have a good fight.

• 1 month later...
Guest John Hancock

Wow, I think this night, this very night, is the official point at which I started forgetting when all the UFC shows were. This is the moment where market over-saturation finally hit me.

EDIT: I'm assuming UFC refs don't get checked for steroids, because that blond one is ridiculous, he looks like a weird troll.

Edited by John Hancock

Guest The Beltster
As usual, a card that looks shit on paper and is largely forgotten ends up delivering in the cage and being pretty awesome.

Brown needs to fight Lawler or Hendricks now, that would be a knock down, drag out war either way.

Seriously the guy is on an eight fight win streak, is finishing guys and is still only ranked 7th? Crazy - he has so much heart and either way, win or lose you'd get a damn good fight

Make sure you watch the main event. Now.
As usual, a card that looks shit on paper and is largely forgotten ends up delivering in the cage and being pretty awesome.
Seconded.
OK, based on the comments, I "acquired" the event and have just watched it.

That main event was epic... and just as epic was "Chuck Liddell" in the crowd just after the fight was stopped.

Guest The Beltster
Funny thing is, it doesn't look like a costume, it just looks like Chuck is stood around in his gear :lol

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the Fight Night tonight and all I can say is that Munoz recently looks done, he just looks unmotivated in the cage and got completely battered tonight. For a man that good at wrestling and with a black belt in BJJ as well to be controlled so dominantly without much of a fight was insane. All he had in his locker was attempting single legs and he paid for it every single time.

Also Barnatt was robbed for me - he was the aggressor, landed more clean shots, controlled the cage and even though Strickland took him down once he was up to his feet pretty damn quickly. Like he supposedly shouted to Dana during the rounds, Strickland wasn't fighting, wasn't engaging and apart from the odd counter hit nothing. It was a close fight because of Strickland's cagey defence but for me the judges gave the nod to the wrong man.

Guest John Hancock
I was going to say, regarding Barnatt, I feel like it's been a while since we had a real robbery. When was the last one, GSP/Hendricks?

Pretty much yeah, although since that fight I have heard a lot of corner men telling fighters not to leave it in the hands of the judges, even if they think their fighter is ahead.

But tonight, that was robbery, it cost the lad his undefeated record and has stalled his career whilst Strickland, who did nothing in that fight of any note bar one takedown and running away, keeps his and could get a nice little earner on a bigger card stateside.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest John Hancock
I don't think it'll do him that much damage, because, straight after the fight, Dana White was tweeting about how much of a robbery it was, so the UFC will probably treat it like a win, or at least a draw. Still sucks for his ego, and his confidence, and his record though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Beltster
So wtf was BJ Penn's strategy? Stand bolt upright, prance around and do f*ck all? Please retire.

Guest The Beltster
He didnt do anything...literally nothing. His stance was weird, like he was just begging Edgar to take him down over and over again, he put forth no effort to win and showed no heart when he was in trouble, he just sort of let himself get embarrassed. It was pretty sad considering who he used to be.