Martial Arts

UFC Fight Night Is Back!

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
I watched it, thought it was a load of crap to be honest, not bad fights, just boring. GSP screaming at his guy in the corner between rounds to get him psyched only for the guy to then get beaten was funny.

Yeah it was pretty much a non-starter and the main event in particular was a big let down. Just be thankful we only saw the main card, every single preliminary fight went to a decision as well.

Thankfully Sexy Erick Silva stopped it from being a complete borefest.

I fell asleep last night after the Eric Silva fight, but had it on record. I then fell asleep nearly during the Souza fight, around round 3 today. The main wasn't that bad, Lyoto got a bit tired but props to Gegard, that head kick he ate in the second round would have floored most people. Guy didn't even flinch.

• 2 weeks later...
Kim/Hathaway and Hioki/Menjivar should be decent fights. Ultimate Fighter China final on the card too although haven't seen any of it so have no idea what they'll be like.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Hancock
There's one of these on tonight if anyone's interested. It's already controversial after one of the fights was cancelled the day of the show because one of the fighters involved, Will Chope, has been exposed as a convicted wife-beater, leading to him being taken off the card and fired.

Guest CMHunk
rematch of one of the greatest fights of all time, which probably won't get anywhere close to the original, but still worth a watch just in case.

Guest The Beltster
Yeah I was talking about this to my Mrs earlier, I've got a feeling this one isn't going t0 be anywhere near as good and Hendo is getting finished in the first or second round.

Stoppage in the opener on the main card was shocking, Herb Dean's recent antics look spot on in comparison.

Stopping a guy when he is throwing an up kick and complete fine, all be it after eating two big shots, is mental. God help me he is refereeing the Parke fight now.

EDIT: No warning at all, just slaps Parke with a point deduction for a short grab - a warning and then a point taken for another instance that's the standard call. Seriously, I don't remember seeing this ref before but from what I've seen tonight I do not like him ONE bit.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest John Hancock

Dana agrees with you;

Yes this ref is horrible!!!! Sucks when u get a guy who does dumb shit like take a point for holding shorts.

Breaking news: I am Dana White - Evil Gringo is my gimmick to stop me getting harassed online.

EDIT: Joking aside, what is the deal though, can Dana bar that guy, or any ref for that matter, from working a UFC fight or is a case of the regional certification board choosing the referee's they want on a card?

I understand however that the date and country of this card may limit their choices as well.

EDIT 2: CB wants to watch the main event badly and just ruins his opponent - its nearly main event time!

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest John Hancock
Joking aside, what is the deal though, can Dana bar that guy, or any ref for that matter, from working a UFC fight or is a case of the regional certification board choosing the referee's they want on a card?

Ask Dana that question and watch him go f*cking mental :lol

The non-sweary answer is no, the athletic commissions choose the referees and the judges, and the UFC has no say unless they want to do unsanctioned events. Dana's openly said there's refs and judges he'd love to block, but he just can't. Joe Rogan's even gone as to name specific judge's who he thinks take bribes to throw fights, including one of the judges who scored the infamous GSP/Hendricks fight.

The only thing the UFC can is that fighters have the right to reject specific referees. Brock Lesnar and Kenny Florian, for example, have admitted they refused to be refereed by Steve Mazzagatti because he's such a notorious liability. So there is some say from the UFC's end when it comes to refs, but it's very limited.

Guest John Hancock
Dan Henderson is the Mark Hunt of light-heavyweights. He just needs to fight other washed up guys until the end of time.

Guest The Beltster
Poor Shogun, handily winning that fight, constantly rocking Hendo and then crack, he catches one on the snout and its over in a flash.