Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who will be recalled as a great?

The Icon

About 90% of the current roster will be called greats when they retire.I mean Michael Cole referred to JBL as the legendary JBL during commentary at Summerslam,what the hell has JBL done to be called Legendary?
JBL fought Godzilla (well, a giant lizard) while doped off his tits in Japan.

"JBL stands for Just Beat a Lizard" is one of a few great lines in an excellent piece of work from the Texan.

Overall HHH had about 3 excellent years in WWE and the rest was mediocre.
The Rock and, arguably Steve Austin only had four great years (1997 until 2001 when he went part-time and June 1996 until April 2001, minus the year out after neck surgery respectively).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fatherof10minis
I thinik guys like Cena and Orton and Punk and a few others will join the ranks of being great but not even John Cena will ever be held in the same regard as Hogan/Austin/Rock/Taker/Savage/Flair. Its a simple fact of the Hogans and Austins are the elite because they were on top during peak periods of wrestling. They changed the business for a positive and you can say that Hogan is responsible mostly for the boom in the 80s, as for Austin in the 90s. Cena/Orton/Punk, none of them have done that to any close extent. so they will always in my opinion, be held as great but one rung down the ladder.

Guest Ciaran The King
The Rock and, arguably Steve Austin only had four great years (1997 until 2001 when he went part-time and June 1996 until April 2001, minus the year out after neck surgery respectively).

I appreciate your comments but Austin and Rock are way above HHH, they will be icons in years to come

Rhodes, Sheamus and Ziggler have to do lots more to achieve greatness

Yeah, that's why it's too early to tell. They're just the guys on the current roster who I think might have a prayer if things go right for them down the line.

Frankly, Punk and Bryan both need to do a fair bit more too.

Guest Ciaran The King
If Punk and Bryan can stay in the same positions for the next few years then they will be fine. Both have got it in them to have many great matches and feuds

Guest Ciaran The King
I think Punk is pretty much already there.

I'm not so sure, I love Punk and since July 2011 his career has skyrocketed and his recent feuds and matches with Taker and Brock has further enhanced his reputation but I think he needs a few more title runs and epic feuds to get there.

Guest John Hancock
Think Punk is already at a level where he'll be remembered for something. One or two of his promos have been zeitgeist-y, non-wrestling people vaguely know who he is, and he's had a couple of MOTYs. He's no Hogan, but he could be a Hart or someone like that. There's a sub-sect of young Americans who don't watch wrestling, have no idea who John Cena is, but know who CM Punk is through things like the Chris Brown beef and little things like that.

Think Punk is already at a level where he'll be remembered for something. One or two of his promos have been zeitgeist-y, non-wrestling people vaguely know who he is, and he's had a couple of MOTYs. He's no Hogan, but he could be a Hart or someone like that. There's a sub-sect of young Americans who don't watch wrestling, have no idea who John Cena is, but know who CM Punk is through things like the Chris Brown beef and little things like that.

This. Punk is there. No Hogan or Rock. But the next level down Hart or Savage level.

This. Punk is there. No Hogan or Rock. But the next level down Hart or Savage level.

John said he'd be remembered, not that he will be remembered as a great, which is the topic at hand. Kofi Kingston will probably be remembered for his various Rumble spots so...

John said he'd be remembered, not that he will be remembered as a great, which is the topic at hand. Kofi Kingston will probably be remembered for his various Rumble spots so...

Yes he said that.

But For me I think he's already there or very close if not.

I don't think Kofi (or Morrison) would be remembered for rumble spots. Not alone anyway. If they are it will be for more than just that.

Then don't quote someone to emphasise your own point when they aren't actually agreeing with you, it makes no sense.

To be blunt I read it as he was agreeing with me. Rereading it I see not really. My mistake.

Don't agree with all this Kofi praise, the guy hasn't ever don't anything memorable
I remember his Rumble / Battle Royal spots, I remember his awesome Boom Drop onto Orton from a ladder through the commentary table (as well as that entire feud) and I remember his many, many great counters into the TiP.

Guest Edgehead
I personally wouldn't miss him if he retired tomorrow. I think he's got hell of a way to go before he's considered great