Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who will be recalled as a great?

The Icon

Simple topic really. Out of all the current talent, not counting part timers, which of them could, would or should be remembered as greats.

John Cena. Love him or hate him I don't doubt he will be mentioned as one of the greats in 10/20 years. Deserved praise? Maybe not but he gets people talking So he will be recalled.

Big Show. Yeah I think people will call him one of the greats like Andre. Again maybe not deserved.

Punk and Bryan for reasons not needed to be stated.

Randy Orton. You don't spend 9 years on top and become forgotten.

And right now maybe That's it?

Will the likes of Kane, Henry, ADR , Christian be recalled as greats, constantly make lists of greats in the future. I have my doubts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - Kane, Henry, ADR , Christian

Punk and Bryan - possible if they can keep this same level of momentum going for a decade or more

Big Show, Randy Orton - I personally don't think so

John Cena - will be the same as Bruno I think in that he'll be remembered more for how long he held titles for rather than being a "great" which is more harsh on Bruno than Cena.

Guest Ciaran The King

I think Orton, Bryan and Punk will be known as greats.

Orton for what he's done and what he will do, Bryan and Punk on what they came from, what they've done to get where they are, what they've done in WWE and what they will continue to do.

Cena will be known as a great but seen as a entertainer much in the way Hogan is.

Nope - Kane, Henry, ADR , Christian

Punk and Bryan - possible if they can keep this same level of momentum going for a decade or more

Big Show, Randy Orton - I personally don't think so

John Cena - will be the same as Bruno I think in that he'll be remembered more for how long he held titles for rather than being a "great" which is more harsh on Bruno than Cena.

I Think you made a good point about Cena. Although personally I think people will look back at him as being great. Should they? Highly debatable.

Kane will obviously go down as a great. He's been a massive name in wrestling for 16 years already, and he will probably go beyond 20 by the time he's finished. Cena is a no-brainer too.

Guest Ciaran The King
Glen Jacobs will be considered a great because of the longevity of the Kane character. The fact that he has managed to keep Kane relevant since 1997 through all the changes WWE has faced it's a credit to the man

Guest Jimmy Redman

How are we defining "great" exactly?

In terms of their performances, or as a WWE Legend type person?

Also interested in how it would be "deserved" or not exactly.

About 90% of the current roster will be called greats when they retire.I mean Michael Cole referred to JBL as the legendary JBL during commentary at Summerslam,what the hell has JBL done to be called Legendary?

Guest John Hancock
From the day he retires to the end of Earth, Triple H will be recalled as a great every five seconds on WWE T.V.

From the day he retires to the end of Earth, Triple H will be recalled as a great every five seconds on WWE T.V.

This, though to be honest I'd say Trips has more right to be called a great above everyone in the list that Icon posted. The problem as I see it is that anyone who didn't wrestle in the attitude era proper is too "new" to be calling anything about them great in terms of wrestling history etc.

This, though to be honest I'd say Trips has more right to be called a great above everyone in the list that Icon posted. The problem as I see it is that anyone who didn't wrestle in the attitude era proper is too "new" to be calling anything about them great in terms of wrestling history etc.
I would agree with you. The only reason I didn't include him is that I said of the current full time roster. HHH isn't a full time guy.

Guest Ciaran The King
I think the only time HHH stood out as a great was in 2000 bar a handful of good matches HHH has always been mediocre.

Guest John Hancock
He was great as second in command of the original D-X, and he was absolutely fantastic as the leader of the McMahon-Helmsley Faction, but, yeah, since then, he's hovered between acceptable and show-ruining-ly machiavellian.

He was great as second in command of the original D-X, and he was absolutely fantastic as the leader of the McMahon-Helmsley Faction, but, yeah, since then, he's hovered between acceptable and show-ruining-ly machiavellian.

Bar a few moments such as the whole kane/katie vick thing between 1997/1998 and up to and including the Evolution thing in 2005 I'd say he was at least good to great. '06 onwards I agree with Hancock that he's not been great.

Guest John Hancock
To be fair, I didn't really watch between 2001-ish and 2006-ish, so I wouldn't know. I missed out on Evolution.

Assuming we mean who will join the ranks of guys like Michaels, Taker, Eddie G, Jericho etc. and not just the top flight Hogan, Austin, Rock category, then I'd say

HHH, Cena, Orton (all of whom are arguably already there), Punk and probably Bryan. Other guys with a shot, but too early to tell : Ziggler, maybe Rhodes and Sheamus.