Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who are the most influential Wrestlers of all-time?

Guest pjnugget

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
More so Funk than Foley, seeing that Foley was really Funk's understudy in all that stuff. Even then, Funk got a lot of it from his Dad. I think, if we're talking about guys who "invented" or popularised American hardcore wrestling, it's between Freddie Blassie and Dory Funk Sr.

Guest terrythunk
Randy Savage and Bret Hart changed the style of US wrestling IMO. If you look at the cards today, and you look at the style of matches, I see their influence from top to bottom.

Guest The Beltster
The times changed the style, not Bret and Randy. Bret and Randy were wrestling since the 70's and the style only changed in the early to mid 90's after they had no choice but to get rid of the big slow steroid guys.

Guest John Hancock
He was certainly a big direct influence on ECW for guys like Sabu and Rob Van Dam, who, in turn, influenced guys like The Hardy Boyz and E+C and blah, blah, blah, but he wasn't the first guy to be doing that sort of stuff. Now that I mention is, Sabu and RVD, especially as a tag team, should be up there, they pretty much invented (or at least refined and popularised) the whole spot-heavy hardcore tag team stuff that become the Dudleys and the Hardys and TLC and E+C and all that stuff.

Gory Guerrero was very innovative for his time and I think partially inspired a lot of the move away from the more brawly style to something more "graceful" so to speak.

Mil Mascaras the father of high flying?

Guest Fatherof10minis
He was certainly a big direct influence on ECW for guys like Sabu and Rob Van Dam, who, in turn, influenced guys like The Hardy Boyz and E+C and blah, blah, blah, but he wasn't the first guy to be doing that sort of stuff. Now that I mention is, Sabu and RVD, especially as a tag team, should be up there, they pretty much invented (or at least refined and popularised) the whole spot-heavy hardcore tag team stuff that become the Dudleys and the Hardys and TLC and E+C and all that stuff.

I would throw the eliminators in there as well. They were a very innovative tag team. John Kronos did things a man his size should almost never do.

Guest John Hancock
Mil Mascaras the father of high flying?

Could well be, in Mexico at least.

I think any sort of "technically sound" wrestler under 6'0 in North America owes a big debt to Tiger Mask, Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger; Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, Bryan, Punk, Edge, Christian, all those sort of guys.

yeah, I'd go so far as to say any "smaller" wrestler owes, in some part, the employment to Jushin Liger and Tiger Mask being a f*cking beast in the junior heavyweights and proving you can kick ass without being a high flyer.