Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who are the most influential Wrestlers of all-time?

Guest pjnugget

Guest Ciaran The King
There's another guy who can go on this list, by the way: The Original Sheik. Had a huge influence on hardcore wrestling and was a key figure for people like Sabu, RVD, Bobby Heenan and Jerry Lawler.

He was a massive influence

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest terrythunk
The times changed the style, not Bret and Randy. Bret and Randy were wrestling since the 70's and the style only changed in the early to mid 90's after they had no choice but to get rid of the big slow steroid guys.

I completely disagree.

Although the "style" changed to smaller guys in the 90's, you're forgetting that Savage was World champion in the 80's, with muscle bound steroid freaks around every corner.

When steroids came back into the federation in the late 90's when independent testing was something Vince thought was not economically viable; the style change didn't revert back to the 80's main event style. The steroided up Austin, Jericho, Angle, Benoit etc all adopted a style of their STATED influences, Bret Hart and Randy Savage.

Guest The Beltster
I completely disagree.

Although the "style" changed to smaller guys in the 90's, you're forgetting that Savage was World champion in the 80's, with muscle bound steroid freaks around every corner.

Yes, he was, and yet after Savage they went back to Hogan, and then Warrior, and Slaughter, and Undertaker, and Yokozuna, and they were close to going with Lex Luger before common sense prevailed. Bret and Shawn had their runs 100% because of the steroid scandal, not because they were these great guys who changed wrestling due to their skills. And Savage wasnt world champion because he was small and a great wrestler, he was world champion because he was promised the IC title back, didnt get it and pitched a fit so they gave him the strap (which they were going to put on DiBiase), they just so happened to stumble into the greatest year-long angle ever. But lets not insinuate that Savage got the strap because he was changing the style of wrestling and the thought process of promoters.

When steroids came back into the federation in the late 90's when independent testing was something Vince thought was not economically viable; the style change didn't revert back to the 80's main event style. The steroided up Austin, Jericho, Angle, Benoit etc all adopted a style of their STATED influences, Bret Hart and Randy Savage.
Nonsense. So you're telling me you can see Bret Hart or Randy Savages influence on Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Big Show and all those guys who were the main event attractions of the Attitude Era?! :lol ok. The first thing I think when I watch the vast majority of guys in the Attitude Era isnt "Wow, they remind me of Bret and Savage!" give me a break man.

And Benoit was influenced by Dynamite, he's never said he took anything from Bret or Savage, he worked EXACTLY like Dynamite, he even looked alot like him. So you're wrong there. Angle doesnt work like either of them...

Guest terrythunk

I don't know why you're getting so upset?

"But lets not insinuate that Savage got the strap because he was changing the style of wrestling..." yeah good thing nobody is eh? We'd hate for you to write a massive blog for nothing...

"Nonsense. So you're telling me you can see Bret Hart or Randy Savages influence on Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Big Show and all those guys who were the main event attractions of the Attitude Era?!"

Coupled with your Benoit / Dynamite MOVEZZSET~ reference along with your ignorant: "Wow, they remind me of Bret and Savage!" quirp, it would appear you think to be influenced by a style you have to wrestle a particular way o like a particular person. What Bret and Savage brought was a psychology to their matches which told a story - something greatly missing across the card before they were on top, and yes, something you're aforementioned examples adopted.

Other than those points, you're rambling OT, and I'm not going to bore myself by addressing our misplaced text.

Guest The Beltster
I don't know why you're getting so upset?
So disagreeing with you means I'm upset now? :lol ok mate.

"But lets not insinuate that Savage got the strap because he was changing the style of wrestling..." yeah good thing nobody is eh? We'd hate for you to write a massive blog for nothing...
Uh, I think you'll find you did. If not, why even bring it up? Why make a specific point of saying Savage was WWF champ in the 80's to try and help further your argument that he helped change the style of wrestling? And no blog, but some of us like to explain why we think what we think, you might prefer a 1-line answer, keep is basic for you etc. I appologise if you find it a hardship to read an explanation with some reasoning behind it.

"Nonsense. So you're telling me you can see Bret Hart or Randy Savages influence on Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Big Show and all those guys who were the main event attractions of the Attitude Era?!"

Coupled with your Benoit / Dynamite MOVEZZSET~ reference along with your ignorant: "Wow, they remind me of Bret and Savage!" quirp, it would appear you think to be influenced by a style you have to wrestle a particular way o like a particular person. What Bret and Savage brought was a psychology to their matches which told a story - something greatly missing across the card before they were on top, and yes, something you're aforementioned examples adopted.

Sorry, but you're talking nonsense. Again. Are you saying, with a straight face, that pre-Bret/Savage, there wasnt psychology in wrestling?! :lol And on top of that, you believe that Steve Austin (for example, who debuted in 1989, several years BEFORE Bret apparently changed the style of wrestling post-Hogan and Warrior) only learned psychology because of Bret and Savage?! Christ, you really are clueless. There is less psychology NOW in loads of matches than there was in matches in the 60's and 70's, so get a clue will you before you embarrass yourself any further.

And yeah, I'd say people who are influenced by other people do show some similarities in their work or look etc. To say that you can be influenced by somebodies style yet work a completely different one is stupid.

Other than those points, you're rambling OT, and I'm not going to bore myself by addressing our misplaced text.
Shall I translate that for everybody?

"I've been made to look like a clown who doent have a clue, so instead of trying to debate back with valid logical points, I'll let myself off the hook by saying you're rambling. Win for me!"

Shameful.

Guest John Hancock
Lita was pretty much solely responsible for the whole "women who actually wrestle" deal that started in the late 90s and might still be going by some definitions. She definitely inspired the Knockout Division.

Guest John Hancock

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/126/b/7/macho_man_and_hulk_hogan_photo2_by_windows8osx-d4ys3f3.jpg

Clean as a whistle.