Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who are the most influential Wrestlers of all-time?

Guest pjnugget

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Graham? Sure he's got to have influenced a lot of heel champs.
I'd say Billy Graham influenced a lot of the musclebound wrestlers (Hogan, Ventura and Steiner specifically), but then Gorgeous George influenced many in wrestling as well as influencing Muhammad Ali too.

Guest Jimmy Redman
You can even go back further, names like Beercat Wright, Bobo Brazil and Thunderbolt Patterson, who I think was the guy who worked against discrimination and tried to unionise.

Guest John Hancock
I have a feeeeeeling that Bobo Brazil vs. I think The Sheik is the feud that's often cited as America's first ever mega-successful feud between two non-white wrestlers.

I'm no historian but prevailing trends would suggest a lot of white guys wouldn't want to be jobbing to a black probably up until the civil rights movement really kick started up in the 60's. There were probably guys before that but I'd be surprised if any had any real success.

Guest John Hancock
The white guys also always won partly to avoid violence. Country fair hicks had a habit of rioting whenever the black guys won. Bobo Brazil was really the first black wrestler to get over as a babyface with a white crowd, and that was late 50s / early 60s.