Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who are the most influential Wrestlers of all-time?

Guest pjnugget

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piper was a huge influence on the heel side of things, and the "talk show" segment. Maybe a precursor to the more promo led product we have now too. The man drew legit heat wherever he went, and he could brawl a bit too. Plus, he did the movie thing as well as anyone - They Live, anybody?

Guest The Beltster
The amount of cocaine that goes into a picture like that is incalculable.

It's still an awesome picture though.

No doubt. To be fair, WWE should force their wrestlers to take steroids and cocaine. They were so much better in the 80's when they were all spazzed out on coke, the promos were great.

Guest Jimmy Redman

On the female front, in WWE Lita has already been mentioned and is a good pick. Also on another note, I don't think WWE went full-tilt into their philosophy of training models to wrestle until the success of Trish. Whether you think that is a good thing or not, but she was the first one to really be that person.

You might also say Sherri for being the prototypical female (heel) valet and influencing that role.

You'd also get names if you went into Joshi.

Guest John Hancock

Trish, I think, was the final puzzle piece in the WWE realising women could actually have real matches, but I'd say the glass ceiling was broken earlier by Lita interfering in Hardy Boyz matches and basically throwing herself through it. Trish was just another Attitude Era valet until T&A starting feuding with the Hardys and Trish/Lita became a thing. Trish is up there though, because, obviously, Lita, by herself, doing moonsault run ins, probably wasn't going to change anything.

Also, the people/person talking Jericho about Benoit and Guerrero and some such being inspired by Bret Hart, I'd encourage you to watch the Super J-Cups of the mid 1990's over in Japan, because those are the guys they're copying (and, occasionally, wrestling), not Hart. Jushin Liger, Ultimo Dragon, Tiger Mask, Gedo, maybe even Great Sasuke, although he was pretty young at the time, they were the guys who had the biggest impact on that whole Indies->Japan->ECW->WCW->WWE crowd.

Guest terrythunk
Mate, you've been made to look quite, quite foolish. I'd give up now.

lol far from it actually, as any objective person can tell. I'm just not sad enough to get baited into a trolls argument as I can tell his "Internet rep" means a lot to him whereas I really couldn't care. Nice to know you'd blindly back up your buddy no matter what though, it's sweet.

Guest Jimmy Redman

If you think Belty and Omega are buddies then you really must not read the board all that closely or that often. Please don't make personal jibes when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, everyone back on topic.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Ciaran The King
Concerning women's wrestling in America was it not women like Alundra Blayze and Bull Nakano who set the standard Edited by Ciaran The King

lol far from it actually, as any objective person can tell. I'm just not sad enough to get baited into a trolls argument as I can tell his "Internet rep" means a lot to him whereas I really couldn't care. Nice to know you'd blindly back up your buddy no matter what though, it's sweet.

In my experience, the best way to handle these forums is being quiet and never expressing your opinions.

Guest The Beltster
Everything you see on TV now is the way it is because of Vince for the most part. He took some influence from others but reality is, he owns the wrestling business by and large. He's probably been the most influential guy in the history of wrestling.