Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club IX: 2013

Simple this time round. 2013 is coming to an end, so what were your favourites in 2013?

To all Music Club VIII participants, get your reviews in there to join in here. Everyone else can pass go and take $200.

GO!

- dsrchris (Has to review Maxx)

Saturday 11th Jan.

- ShaolinHandLock

Thursday 16th Jan.

- Magic (Has to review Maxx)

Tuesday 21st Jan.

- Shaun2J

Sunday 26th Jan.

- Maxx

Friday 31st Jan.

- King (Has to review Laffy and Max)

Wednesday 5th Feb.

- Laffy

Monday 10th Feb.

- Beefhead (Has to review everyone)

Edited by Shaun2J

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the running order

GO!

- dsrchris

Saturday 11th Jan.

- ShaolinHandLock

Thursday 16th Jan.

- Magic

Tuesday 21st Jan.

- Shaun2J

Sunday 26th Jan.

- Maxx

Friday 31st Jan.

- King

Wednesday 5th Feb.

- Laffy

Monday 10th Feb.

- Beefhead

dsrchris to go first, GAME ON!

Damn, in first...

Right, so let's start you off with my favourite track from my album of the year. All hail Papa Emeritus, sink into some sin and dedicate your life to the dark lord, it's "Secular Haze" from Ghost's phenomenal Infestissumam album:

[video=youtube;vyQZ13jobIY]

For my second choice, I was a little stumped. 2013 was a bit light on the decent dubstep and dancey type stuff that I usually like. Screw it, I'm gonna go for my favourite mainstream track (and video) of the year. It's Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis with "Can't Hold Us". Get hyped!

[video=youtube;2zNSgSzhBfM]

Ghost B.C. - Secular Haze - Doesn't do much for me really. It didn't annoy me, but it didn't do much for me either, sorry. 4.5/10

Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us - Not really a fan of the beat. Flow is really good, but I'm not a big fan of his voice much, nothing wrong with it though. 5/10

Okay, my choices. I was going to choose stuff from the few 2013 albums I did buy, but my favourites aren't on YouTube. So instead, I'm posting one random song and one from and album I bought in 2013.

First is a song from the reformed Three 6 Mafia, now going by the name Da Mafia 6ix and missing Juicy J. I'm not a big fan of Yelawolf at all, but I still really like this song, I just think it would be better without him. They are supposed to have a new album out in 2014, I just hope that Lord Infamous finished recording his parts before he died. Anyway...

Da Mafia 6ix ft Yelawolf - Go Hard

[video=youtube;7uH8v8P8SMg]

And my second pick is from an album I did buy in 2013, B-Tite's Satan's Soldier.

B-Tite ft Lord Infamous, Dosia Demon, Phrozt, Nightmare & Seer The Reaper - Demonic Possession

[video=youtube;ZRA2aUPdRTA]

Ghost B.C - Secular Haze

I might have to listen to more of Ghost, generally interested in their presence and their schtick. The video is awesome, it's like it'll blast into some 60's Arthur Brown wackiness. Song was OK, just need to get into them more.

7/10

Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us

Nah, not liking it. Vocals annoy me and it drags on. Video was quite a bit of fun.

3/10

Da Mafia 6ix ft. Yelawolf - Go Hard

I will never understand why everyone rambles on at the start of every song. Stop shouting and hollaring at people, we get it that you have friends! Three Six Mafia is cool with me though but is Yelawolf sounds a lot or is trying to sound like Eminem. Song ain't bad for me but not good, like the break tune from 4:40 onwards.

5/10

B-Tite ft Lord Infamous, Dosia Demon, Phrozt, Nightmare & Seer The Reaper - Demonic Possession

Bit too creepy for my liking. Same here though, it's not bad but not good for me.

4/10

DeesarChris

Ghost - Secular Haze

This wasn't how I expected it to be lol, the opening minute sounded like something from a weird 80's "horror" flick or a dodgy amusement park in a far flung corner of the southern states or something :lol

Saying that though I didn't hate it, in fact I quite liked the vocals when the kicked in. That was my favourite aspect of the song, which overall I didn't find awful, just a bit too gimmicky for my tastes and I couldn't listen to it very often. A middle of the ground 5/10

Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis - Get Hyped

Loved, really loved, the opening what, 30 seconds of this song, but like a lot of this genre, when it kicks in it's just not my thing at all. I used to like a bit of rap years ago when Eminem was coming up but these days I can't get into it much. His rapping is pretty solid though from a technical point of view, so I guess he gets an extra point there, but there's something extremely irritating about his face so I'm gonna have to have that point back I'm afraid.

The chorus is pretty good. It's the kind of inoffensive chart stuff I'd happily dance to after 8 or 9 vodka and lemonades in a nightclub but I would never even consider playing in the house. The breakdown is nice, the quiet bits of the song are definitely my favourite elements of the track. So yeah, not really my genre but not all together garbage so another ass splintering 5/10.

SHL

Unfortunately this does nothing for me. I just think I don't get the genre. It feels soulless and emotionless to me and doesn't make me feel anything, which music should in my opinion. Fair do's if it makes you feel something, but it doesn't for me. It's not all rap that makes me feel this way, this was just lyrically poor and offered little from a music stand point. Without wanting to seem like an old man (which I am, btw :lol), I'm just not a fan of the whole excessive use of "f*cker" and "N**ger" etc, and talking about kicking bitches asses. It comes across as someone trying far to hard to get over. Not my deal I'm afraid. 2/10

Kind of similar review to above to be honest. The music feels really flat and offers me nothing. I can't even understand a lot of the lyrics, and seen as I can't seem to locate them following a 5 second search on google, that's a problem for me as lyrics are probably what I look for most in a song. However, I do quite like the quite intro and breakdown bit in this song with the keys, so it gets a bonus point for that. 3/10

DeesarChris

Ghost - Secular Haze

That was pretty cool, I liked the video and vocals, gonna check these guys out now.

7/10

Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis - Get Hyped

Sorry mate, not for me at all, this song is constantly on the radio and I turn it off every time it's on :lol.

3/10

SHL

It was okay, still can't see the point for all the cussing but it seems like amateur hour with these guys for me, average!!

4/10

Weird, just really REALLY weird, sorry bro not my scene at all :(

3/10

Morning class! Today's lesson is in obscure Scottish indie-pop-rock with a just a sprinkle electric-folk euphoria! Without wanting to go all hipster on your asses, I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone know's both these band, as they really aren't that famous at all. But they deserve to be! So if anyone actually likes them (I have my doubts :lol), feel free to tell all your friends!

The first track is from a band who have been without question my favourite band of the last 18 months, and this song is my favourite song of 2013. It's just two guys and they have a unique style of sort electronic pop rock, laced with some classic melancholy. They only have the one album and a couple EP's, but out of something like 20 tracks there is only the odd one or two I don't really like. And because they are so small they play alot of local venue's which is great, and it gives a chance to meet the guys, Gav and Ben, who are top drawer people. Gav sent me a lovely note at Christmas when I bought a t-shirt from him.

BcbU21wIQAA1NvZ.jpg

Anyway, enough of my rambling! From their December EP, This Is How We Did It here's "Radiator" by Glasgow's Over The Wall!

[video=youtube;J7EsO1kTJhA]

My second choice was slightly more difficult. I could so easily have put another Over The Wall track, but that would be silly, so I had a think and remembered this little gem. If anyone likes the Scottish band Idlewild (who are awesome, by the way), this is the band that guitarist Rod formed when Idlewild went on hiatus a couple of years ago. They started off just playing some covers and did a couple of cover albums, but have recently been writing their own stuff and have an album coming out soon. Like Over The Wall, they play alot of local shows which is great. This track was released in autumn 2013 and is really great. It features Scott from Frightened Rabbit on guitar towards the end, presumably because he's a bit of a household name these days and helped get the song out there.

The bonus of both these bands and many others is they are dirt cheap to follow. Live show tickets are always less then a tenner, usually about six or seven quid, and the cd's/downloads are only a few quid as well.

My second choice, "A Bigger World" by The Birthday Suit ft. Scott Hutchinson:

[video=youtube;0h47QQjZw9Y]

Have a gander and I hope you enjoy is much as I do.

Edited by Magic

Over The Wall - Radiator

I kind of like this, the guitar and keyboard but the drum machine can go. Gets on my nerves but they seem like nice guys.

5/10

The Birthday Suit ft. Scott Hutchinson - A Bigger World

Slight Ian Curtis in the vocals I hear, I like this better than your first pick. Everything sounds good in one place and the simple but good guitar work at the end is a nice touch.

7/10