Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club IX: 2013

My turn I see, had a hard time choosing between two Pearl Jam songs but was 100% on the QOSTA one.

I love my echoing music, layered with pianos and such. This is haunting one but one to lay back to.

Pearl Jam - Pendulum

[video=youtube;xUztWRqVRms]

Now this is a masterpiece of a song. Just this whole composition is flattering, I was at their gig in Berlin and I stood still, everyone stood still sucking this in. It's my favourite of 2013.

Queens of the Stone Age - I Appear Missing

[video=youtube;fCy8pjhl97A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCy8pjhl97A

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviewing thes has made me feel old as I do not seem to get modern pop songs.

Ghost B.C. - Secular Haze

It’s not bad at all although it did start to get a little repetitive. It seems to be a meh! song not offensive but not great to make me want keep listening to it over and over. Might be a filler song for my collection. 6/10

Macklemore, Ray Dalton & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us

Oh god help me, this and rap is quite possibly my worst nightmare just not my thing at all I just do not get it. 3/10

Da Mafia 6ix ft. Yelawolf - Go Hard

Nope sorry I just do not get this genre, do not understand why people like this. Just not me at all sorry SHL, the only time I listen to rap is when reviewing your songs. I just do not get it!!

2/10

B-Tite ft Lord Infamous, Dosia Demon, Phrozt, Nightmare & Seer The Reaper - Demonic Possession

This is better than the previous song but still does nothing for me. As Magic says the speak so fast I can hardly make out what they are saying. Some places this is really creepy but in a strangely good way. Way better than I was expecting it to be but still not something I would listen to voluntarily. 5/10

Over The Wall - Radiator

It’s alright but does get very repetitive. Not something I would listen to again but the guitar is good. God it was really beginning to grate towards the end so loses a mark. 4/10 .

The Birthday Suit ft. Scott Hutchinson - A Bigger World

I like this a lot more than your previous song it is not bad at all a filler song to complement my music collection I will google this band and see if I can find some more songs by them. 6/10

Pearl Jam – Pendulum

Really, really like this could listen to this over and over. Never got into Pearl Jam so this now gives me an excuse to go back and try them again. This has hit my play list and has been added to my favourites. 8/10

This is not bad but no where near as good as your first pick but not offensive either just blends for me as it is not something I would normally listen to although will give it a chance and listen to it again just to make sure. 6/10.

Magic

Over The Wall - Radiator

I like the guitar work, good catch tune, nice pick.

7/10

The Birthday Suit ft. Scott Hutchinson - A Bigger World

Kinda meh for me, preferred the first song but it's not that bad I guess as Laffy said it's kinda of a filler song.

5/10

Shaun2J

Pearl Jam – Pendulum

I love me some Pearl Jam and this song rules, Vedder still has a haunting voice, classic!!

9/10

Also I love me some QOTSA but to me this is not one of their best efforts.It's good mind but these guys can do better.

6/10

Ok time to nail this mofo! This match is scheduled for one fall and the opponents have been selected by the mighty Shaun2J!!

First, the challenger, with the song Pendulum, it's Pearl Jam:

Pearl Jam are one of those bands for me who I've seen lots and lots of people rave about (including yourself Shaun), but I've never actually listened to, pretty much at all. In truth I wasn't 100% what kind of genre I was let in for, but immediately I began to enjoy this. I like the opening keys and I like his voice alot too. I love Editors and this reminded me of them. I also quite like echo-y, eerie music so this was nice. However I did feel like the song was perfectly placed for a big booming finish, and it kinda just never came. I feel like it could have probably gone on another minute with an appropriate bridge and outro. Other than that though I was quite pleasantly surprised. I don't feel like I would listen to this as a stand alone song, but as part of an album I think it would fit right in, and I give it a solid 8/10.

Next up, we have the champion, with their hit I Appear Missing, its Queens of the Stone Age:

I've never been a big QOTSA man at all. I've found their songs tend to grate on me and I'm not a huge fan of his voice. I've always like the band name though, just not their music much. My first thoughts is this isn't as irritating as some of the other songs I've heard by them. His voice is ok here, I particularly like the chorus more than the verses. The lead guitar towards the end was nice, reminded me of Muse who I'm a big fan of. Yeah I find myself not hating this at all. Like the eerie vocals at the end. A respectable 7/10.

I have stolen a march and posted my picks ahead of Maxx to keep this going.

Album = Without a Net this is a great Jazz albulm which has many great songs but this is my favourite because Miles Davis originally did this and was on the first Jazz albulm i ever got brings back memories.

'Orbits' Wayne Shorter

[video=youtube;lNxxVTvTlKY]

Album = Love Will I have a thing for Country music and Trace and John Rich are my favourite American singers. This song is a step away from his normal style of songs see Trace Adkins "You're Gonna Miss This" or " Honkytonk Badonkadonk"

Trace Adkins - Watch The World End

[video=youtube;_qY2fEZ1XBs]

Edited by Laffy

Sorry this has taken so long guys. I've been struggling with a pinched shoulder nerve and it makes everything pretty much suck.

dsrchristo

Secular Haze-Ghost

What's with the B.C. thing?

I don't think there's a song on this album I don't like. This is one of the best tracks and I listen to it all the time. Ghost is easily one of the best bands to come around in a long time. The music is great and they have an amazing gimmick. 9/10

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - CAN'T HOLD US FEAT. RAY DALTON

There's a lot of hip hop I like, but this isn't one of those. I don't care for the beat or the flows. I'm just not a Macklemore fan. There were some cool referances but it went on kinda long for me by three minutes. If I was in a club or something I might bust out a move or two so I didn't totally hate it. 6/10

ShaolinHandJive

Da Mafia 6ix ft Yelawolf - Go Hard

I like my hip hop a little harder than Macklemore and this is it. It's got a nice punch to it and feels like I should be afraid for my life. I really like Yelawolf. I think he's one of the best MCs around today. I could listen to this again easily. 7/10

B-Tite ft Lord Infamous, Dosia Demon, Phrozt, Nightmare & Seer The Reaper - Demonic Possession

If we were to systematically eliminate all forms of mental illness I wonder how many people would still be possessed? Anyway, this is dark and creepy but lacks the punch the last track had. This is just a bit over the top for me. Whoever had the second verse is a lot better than whoever went first, same with the third verse. Both way better than the first guy. I don't see myself listening to this ever again. 5/10

MagicMan

Over the Wall - Radiator

I wasn't sure what to expect here but was pleasantly surprised. This wasn't bad at all. It's catchy and has great timing. It's upbeat with just a slight edge that really makes the song pop. I also really like the vocals. If these guys have more songs like this then I should really check them out. 7/10

The Birthday Suit - A Bigger World (feat. Scott Hutchinson)

Not usually a fan of the folkier sounding stuff but man this caught me right off the bat and continued to keep my full attention. This is like some old school alt. from the 90s(maybe like XTC or something?). The drummer is awesome and the vocals are nice and upfront without being in your face. Yeah, guitar solo! Perfect way to send it home. 8/10

MyNiggaMookie

Pearl Jam - Pendulum

When Eddie sings it's like he's singing directly into my soul. I love this man like some love the man Jesus. How do I review Pearl Jam, my favorite band of all the times, without coming across as a markish fanboy? Like this, bitches... 10/10

I really don't listen to this band enough. I haven't even heard this full album yet, but if this is any indicator then I need to get it right now. I love the heavy ethereal feel mixed with some straight up rock and roll, pounding beat and piercing vocals. This track takes you on a nice little journey. 8/10

LadyLaffy

'Orbits' Wayne Shorter

The first four notes of this song will haunt my dreams. Can't believe that went on for a full minute. I just couldn't get into this. I'm a fan of improv in general but free form jazz never appealed to me in the slightest if that's even what this is? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to jazz. Sorry, Laf, this just ain't my jam. 3/10

Trace Adkins - Watch The World End (feat. Colbie Callait)

Sweet mercy, the only thing worse than free form jazz is contemporary country. There's just no way I could do it. I can't take country music seriously. I grew up around it and I hated it then just as much as I do now. Go hock your wears somewhere else Trace Adkins. Tapped out 2:10 seconds. 1/10

I'll submit my picks tomorrow. Need a day to think about it.

Wayne Shorter - Orbits

Man hard piano at the start but straight after that it drifted into the background. Same with Maxx, I'm not into improv jazz, it was kinda of there. That being said, maybe I have to check out the Miles Davis version.

5/10

Trace Adkins ft. Colbie Caillat - Watch The World End

Couldn't bear this, I'm not into this form of country music and no way a fan of Trace Adkins. This is like one of those background songs which would find it's place on one of those southern rich family telenovelas. Heard it in full though, sorry Laffy, each to their own.

1/10

Ancient Order of Shao (who could’ve probably done with **NSFW**ing his picks :P )

Da Mafia 6ix ft Yelawolf - Go Hard

Yeah…I like Hip Hop, I don’t really get along with stuff that’s all guns/b*tches/n*ggas/bling/repeat. Which is what this is. And the video with the dude prancing about like some kind of bad man with his “gat” is frankly laughable. I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but all this bragging and talking about killing folks just doesn’t do it for me. 3/10

It’s not as bad as the last one, but it’s still not quite my cup of tea. Why do so many rappers have to rap about horrible things they want to do to people? Why do they all want to be villains? What’s their obsession with “cutting a ho”? I don’t get it, and I never will. Oh well, 4/10.

Sac Magique (it’s French for Magic Bag, if you don’t watch Tiny Tots TV)

Over the Wall – Radiator

So they’re definitely talented guys who can write a song, but this isn’t my kind of thing at all. It’s a bit bland for my liking, and the guys voice kinda grates on me a bit. It reminds of the singer from Placebo a bit, and that guy gets right on my wick. I think the coolest thing was the keyboard, which had a nice 80’s 8-bit vibe going to it. Other than that, not for me really. I don’t hate it, but I couldn’t in good conscience give it more than 3/10. And now I feel guilty, because I know how much Magic likes these guys. :lol

The Birthday Suit ft. Scott Hutchinson – A Bigger World

Yeah I agree with Shaun, there’s definitely a bit of Ian Curtis about this singer. I don’t mind this actually. Not the kind of thing I go out my way to listen to, but it’s inoffensive enough on the ears. I actually quite like how the violin fits in, I like the upbeat tempo of the song, if you take the vocals out it reminds of a little of Arcade Fire. Which isn’t a bad thing. Yeah, probably a 7/10 for this one.

S2J (man of a 1004 theme tunes)

Pearl Jam – Pendulum

I’ll happily admit to never seeing what the big deal was about Pearl Jam. “Jeremy” annoys me, “Even Flow” was only cool because it was in the Streetfighter Anime, yet (much like Guns and Roses) my friends can’t believe I don’t like this band. Having listened to this, I still don’t see what the fuss is (sorry Shaun). It’s just a bit…dull? 4/10

Queens of the Stone Age – I Appear Missing

Tune!! In fact, one of my favourites from the whole album (which in and of itself is phenomenal). It narrowly misses out to “My God Is The Sun”, “I Sat By The Ocean” and “Kalopsia” in my favourite songs off the album, but it’s still a brilliant track. Easily a 10/10 for me.

Lafferella

Wayne Shorter – Orbits

I’m quite partial to some jazz, but this is a little too free-form for me to be able to sit and listen to this solely. It works really nicely as background music (for example, I’ve listened to it at work while I’ve been doing other stuff and it sits in the background beautifully) but it’s not something I could sit and listen to at home, or just on my earpods while on the train or something. Not bad, but a bit too experimental for my tastes. 6/10

Trace Adkins – Watch the World End

Sorry Laf, but this just isn’t my thing at all. I frequently argue with my cousin about this kind of stuff since she loves Country Music and I like…well, Johnny Cash, and that’s about it! :lol Seriously though, this dude is awful. The schmaltzy lyrics…I can feel them attempting to give me diabetes through my ears. Yikes. Man, it sounds like it should be on the soundtrack to some awful chick-flick playing while Rachel McAdams finally gets her man and kisses him in the pouring rain. Yeugh. 1/10 (and it only gets 1 for making me think of Rachel McAdams. Mmm.)

I'm right there with you. I try to be respectful of everyone but some people just ask for it. I've never struck a woman but goddammit I've been close. I think all guys have that moment where they're like, "I'm gonna have to kill a bitch?" Thankfully I'm not a sociopath so I just always walked away if things got that heated. :lol

Education is very important and should be a bit more individualized. Not everyone learns the same way. I've seen some horrible things in my life and have lived through tragedy after tragedy and all it's done is make me a stronger, better person. I'm more open minded and far less materialistic than when I was younger. Optimistic too. Go figure, with my life I thought I'd be a die hard cynic forever. Guess I grew out of that.

I have my own thoughts on spiritualism. I do believe in something higher than myself and I think humanity will eventually get our act together and start doing massive good all over the world.

A bit off topic, but this thread needs the traffic anyway.

I'll review what I haven't sometime tomorrow, I'm not in the mood right now.

That being said...

If we were to systematically eliminate all forms of mental illness I wonder how many people would still be possessed? Anyway, this is dark and creepy but lacks the punch the last track had. This is just a bit over the top for me. Whoever had the second verse is a lot better than whoever went first, same with the third verse. Both way better than the first guy. I don't see myself listening to this ever again. 5/10

But the 'first guy' is the late great Lord Infamous. Who also had the second-last verse on the first song I posted.....

It’s not as bad as the last one, but it’s still not quite my cup of tea. Why do so many rappers have to rap about horrible things they want to do to people? Why do they all want to be villains? What’s their obsession with “cutting a ho”? I don’t get it, and I never will. Oh well, 4/10.

Slightly off-topic, but I've never understood why rap is always singled out for stuff like this, when death metal and country and other genres do it as well and don't seem to bother anyone.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons for it, but I can't be bothered going into it all right now.