Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE Network

Guest Jayfunk

The middle ground would be to include PPV's in the network, but say, 6 months after they air. Charge network subscribers a "top-up fee"(Network) or "reduced price" (PPV) to view the live event.

That would preserve the majority of the income for the wrestlers and the PPV companies, while still allowing subscribers, who don't want to pay extra for the ppvs live, access to the shows eventually.

My guess is, the bulk of the people who are going to buy into the network aren't currently buying PPV's because if they're tech-savvy enough to be comfortable with paying money for the network, they're also tech savvy enough that they're not paying for the PPV's except, maybe, Mania. Also, they're probably not that bothered with the current product but just want access to the library.

Edited by etz

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HH-Evolution

Isn't this being billed as the complete package for the entire past/present/future though?

If they started reneging on that, they'd probably lose people who are interested in having live shows and such there as well...

I imagine that WWE have looked at the finances in relation to how many people who watch RAW who also go on to buy PPV events.

From this, they will have worked out that the $9.99 cost per month will generate more that the $40.00 for each PPV should they end up with more than 500,000 subscribers.

Of course, I'm generalising the figures a bit, but my guess is this is possibly how they have worked out the basic money side of things.

I can see a lot of ex-watchers purchasing the Network for the access to the older content meaning 1,000,000 subscribers might not be out the realms of possibility. If that figure also includes the eventual overseas territories, I'd predict them doing that with relative ease.

Anyone know numbers for similar services to put that into perspective? Struggling to think of something to compare it to. If its one million global then that doesn't seem like a lot. I'd imagine this will get way beyond that

Guest John Hancock

It's hard to make accurate comparisons, but Major League Baseball has a similar, though not identical, package called MLB.tv, which only has about two million subscribers. Non-championship baseball games and RAW tend to have pretty similar ratings (between 3 and 5 million viewers), which is good news for WWE, but the content is very different, because it's not like there's RAWs that aren't televised, where as there are plenty of baseball games that aren't.

Honestly, there's not much that you can make a fair comparison with, it's a pretty unique concept and situation, be that a good or bad thing.

I THINK Meltzer's thing is one-million US subscribers. Emphasis on the "think". I think it might be quite tough for this thing to actually make money, and it might get jigged around in a few years. I'd be surprised if it still has WrestleMania on for free in two years time. But, until then, it's still great news for the fans.

Edited by John Hancock

It's hard to make accurate comparisons, but Major League Baseball has a similar, though not identical, package called MLB.tv, which only has about two million subscribers. Non-championship baseball games and RAW tend to have pretty similar ratings (between 3 and 5 million viewers), which is good news for WWE, but the content is very different, because it's not like there's RAWs that aren't televised, where as there are plenty of baseball games that aren't.

Honestly, there's not much that you can make a fair comparison with, it's a pretty unique concept and situation, be that a good or bad thing.

If it works on worldwide subscribers, then I'd confidently (and rather obviously) state that WWE has more worldwide appeal that Major League Baseball.

Guest John Hancock

George Barrios, who is the CFO of WWE I think, says that they need a million subscribers in America, paying a minimum of $10 per month each (this was before the prices were confirmed) to break even. He also said the price could go up to $15, and that WrestleMania 30 could be the only WrestleMania that's free on the network as a publicity stunt. If they want to make significantly more money than they are right now, he predicts that they'd need between 2 and 4 million US subscribers paying about $12ish. He doesn't mention foreign markets as far as I can tell.

I really hope I've made a mistake there, because that sounds suicidally optimistic. In a comparison on financial terms, the UFC version of the same thing, but without free pay-per-views, needs 100,000 US subscribers to be profitable, and loses no pay-per-view revenue.

Again, this is stuff we shouldn't care about, it's all good for us, but it's not designed not last in it's current format, either knowingly or unknowingly.

EDIT: Looking at their share holder thingys, WWE made $84million from North American pay-per-view in 2013. If people are paying $10 a month, that means they need 700,000 people to subscribe for a full year just to cover the loss of pay-per-view. Am I working that out right? That's seems too low, someone else might want to redo that sum for me.

So a million subscribers to break even looks like it means just in America and Canada (does Mexico have WWE pay-per-view?).

Edited by John Hancock

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FreeSpirit

Credit:

wrestling-news.net

WWE NETWORK ANNOUNCES PROGRAMMING LINEUP

Stamford, Connecticut

Wednesday 19th February 2014

WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, has unveiled its programming lineup, which is highlighted by WrestleMania 30 on Sunday 6th April at 7/6c LIVE from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

In addition, for the first time ever, the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air LIVE in its entirety on Saturday 5th April at 9/8c on WWE Network. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita. A one-hour special will also air on USA Network on Monday 7th April , immediately following Monday Night RAW.

WWE Network will officially launch on Monday 24th February at 9/8c (morning) and fans will instantly have access to LIVE programming and the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library upon signing up exclusively at WWE.com.

WWE Network will be available through the WWE App on TV via connected devices including Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation 3, Sony PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

The programming line-up on WWE Network includes:

WWE WrestleMania 30:

WWE’s pop-culture extravaganza, WrestleMania 30, will air LIVE on Sunday 6th April at 7/6c from New Orleans. More than 70,000 fans from all 50 states and more than 30 countries are expected to converge on the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with millions more watching around the world. Current WWE Superstars will be joined by a host of WWE Legends for a celebration 30 years in the making.

WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony:

For the first time ever, the 2014 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air LIVE in its entirety on WWE Network on Saturday 5th April at 9/8c from the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita.

LIVE Monday Night RAW Pre-Show and WWE Raw Backstage Pass:

A LIVE, 30-minute Raw Pre-Show will air each week and premieres on Monday 24th February at 7:30/6.30c.

WWE RAW Backstage Pass will air LIVE each week immediately following Monday Night RAW, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Monday 24th February at 11:05/10.05c.

Friday Night SmackDown® Pre-Show and WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass:

A 30-minute pre-show for SmackDown will air each week and premieres on Friday 28th February at 7:30/6.30c.

WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass will air each week immediately following SmackDown, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Friday 28th February at 10/9c.

WrestleMania Rewind:

WrestleMania Rewind will provide fans with a comprehensive look back at the most groundbreaking matches and dramatic moments in WrestleMania history. The series premieres on Tuesday 25th February at 9/8c with a sneak peek on Monday 24th February 24 at 9/8c (morning).

WWE Countdown:

A one-hour, groundbreaking, interactive, countdown series that will put the power squarely in viewers’ hands by giving the audience the chance to discuss and rank WWE’s most spectacular Superstars, unexpected moments, best catch phrases and more through digital polling and social media interaction. The series premieres on Tuesday 25th February at 10/9c with a sneak peek on Monday 24th February 24 at 10/9c (morning).

WWE Legends’ House:

WWE’s greatest Legends reunite for a new title – only this time, they’re competing outside of the ring. Imagine a beautiful house in the suburbs – perfectly furnished, with gorgeous landscaping, a lovely pool and quiet, respectable neighbors. WWE Superstars from the past including Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tony Atlas and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will turn the neighborhood upside down as the house staff tries their best to keep these Legends on time, on speaking terms, and out of trouble in this new reality show. The series premieres on Thursday 10th April at 8/7c.

This is NXT:

A one-hour special that will take viewers inside the action-packed world of tomorrow’s WWE’s Superstars as they aspire to become the future of WWE. Featuring behind-the-scenes moments and in-ring action from WWE’s Performance Center, fans will get up close and personal with the next generation of Superstars. The series premieres on Monday 24th February at 11/10c (morning).

NXT ArRival:

WWE Network’s first LIVE in-ring event will air on Thursday 27th February at 8/7c. The lLIVE special will showcase the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars from WWE’s Performance Center, as well as appearances by WWE Superstars John Cena, Sheamus, The New Age Outlaws, and WWE Legends Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Thirty minutes prior to the event, the NXT ArRival Pre-Show will air at 7:30/6.30c and include exclusive interviews and appearances by NXT Superstars, WWE Superstars and Legends.

WWE NXT:

Each Thursday at 9/8c, WWE Superstars and Divas of tomorrow face off on WWE NXT, a one-hour, weekly show that features the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars. WWE NXT showcases the Superstars and Divas from WWE’s Performance Center as well as appearances from WWE Superstars and Legends in an intimate setting. WWE NXT broadcasts from the state-of-the-art Full Sail LIVE venue on the Full Sail University campus in Orlando, Florida. The series premieres on Thursday 6th March 6 at 9/8c.

WWE Superstars:

A one-hour, weekly show highlighting the best of WWE Superstars and Divas in heart-pounding matches. The show will also feature highlights from all WWE programming, as well as a special glimpse at everything going on in the WWE Universe. The series premieres on Thursday 27th February at 10/9c.

Beyond the Ring:

An all-access pass to the fast-paced action of WWE’s home video library. With classic matches and groundbreaking biographies of WWE Legends, fans will have all the action from WCW, AWA, ECW and WWE right at their fingertips. The series premieres on Saturday 1st March at 8/7c.

Best of RAW:

Every Wednesday at 9/8c, Best of RAW will feature the most memorable episodes from the longest-running weekly episodic show in television history. Each week, see some of the most incredible matches and controversial moments featured over the years on Monday Night RAW. The series premieres at a special date and time on Thursday 27th February at 4:30/3.30c.

Best of SmackDown:

For more than a decade, Friday Night SmackDown has brought amazing action and memorable moments to the WWE Universe. On Saturdays at 1/12c , WWE Network will showcase the most exciting episodes of SmackDown. The series premieres on Saturday 1st March at 1/12c.

Expansive Video-On-Demand Library:

In addition to LIVE and original programming, fans will have access to the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library the instant they subscribe. WWE Network will offer all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views as well as encores of RAW and SmackDown totaling more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch!

Guest Beefhead

WWE Network Official!

Been watching Hardcore tv and ecw ppvs all day. Worth my sixty bucks alone. Strangely no elimination chamber yet.

Apparently it's not geolocked, meaning that you can quite easily fake your way in by giving any US address and using Paypal to pay for it.

That's not to say it won't be geolocked in the near future, so you pays your $60 you takes your chances. I'm just putting the info I've heard out there.

I'm so tempted to spend the $60 tomorrow and do this, but it's $60 that I could spend at ACTUAL WRESTLEMANIA, so I'm kinda torn...

I think my subscription may have to wait until I get back...unless this free week is no obligation?