Fan Clubs | beta

Gotham - TV show

Kam

We all still watching this I take it? Last nights episode was pretty good I thought; introducing Harvey Dent, setting up Arkham as a mental facility, Bruce n Selina.

It's been a bit formulaic, predictable, here and there but overall I've got to say I've really enjoyed this. Almost certainly a DVD boxset for ol' Boyo.

Cheers!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a theory (which is a bit of a stretch) that Penguin is actually going to be The Joker.

The writers / producers said there would be a potential Joker in every episode and people have taken that along with Cobblepot's physique, manic grin, psychotic attitude, penchant for knives and the seemingly playing everyone against each other and put that together to get to their theory.

As stated, it's a stretch, but it's interesting all the same.

There's a theory (which is a bit of a stretch) that Penguin is actually going to be The Joker.

The writers / producers said there would be a potential Joker in every episode and people have taken that along with Cobblepot's physique, manic grin, psychotic attitude, penchant for knives and the seemingly playing everyone against each other and put that together to get to their theory.

As stated, it's a stretch, but it's interesting all the same.

Guy I work with is convinced that we've all already seen the Joker, and that fella was in episode 1 (or possibly episode 2 at worst), and it was in a scene set in Fish Mooney's club. She's sitting around chatting stuff with her cronies and casually dismisses a stand-up comedian from the stage. It's such a quick scene and the guy barely gets a word in, and even the cut that shows him is very quickly/slicky done so you don't think anything of it.

I personally hope it's not that as it would be too obvious. I'm no Jokerphile but my understanding is that you just don't know who the guy is at. All. Whatsoever.

If I could speculate about how/where Joker is going to make and appearance then I reckon he's behind the whole Arkham, Maroni, Falcone thing. Possibly even the murder of the Waynes when you peel back enough layers. I think it would be pretty Joker-y for him to be conducting a gang war that keeps escalating. But out of all the characters I've seen the show, and I do look out for potential Jokers, I genuinely haven't spotted anyone obvious.

Cheers!

There's been a couple of potential Jokers so far. The other one that sticks out is the dude who was kidnapping the kids in episode 2, although that seems to be mainly based on him grinning a lot during the episode.

I think my favourite thing that a lot of people have missed is this little easter egg:

http://imgur.com/mX8XbVD

I wonder who could possibly be scrawling "smile" on the sides of buildings in Gotham?

Guy I work with is convinced that we've all already seen the Joker, and that fella was in episode 1 (or possibly episode 2 at worst), and it was in a scene set in Fish Mooney's club. She's sitting around chatting stuff with her cronies and casually dismisses a stand-up comedian from the stage. It's such a quick scene and the guy barely gets a word in, and even the cut that shows him is very quickly/slicky done so you don't think anything of it.
He's been taken out of the running by the showrunners and was mainly put in the first episode as a red herring.

Guest Yodahew

Mid series finale. Gordan has a new job.

I thought this series was meant to be about everyone but bruce wayne? An entire episode about bruce and selina?!? Yawn.

The show is essentially about the murder and investigation of Thomas & Martha Wayne which, in my opinion at least, IS what made Gotham Gotham. The gangsters, the corrupt police and Mayor, the germination of these villains, young Bruce coping with their loss... it's the story of how and why Gotham is what it is today.

I think it's a brilliant show personally. Not flawless, not the best I've seen, but still brilliant.

Cheers!

I have to agree with Boyo, I think its fantastic, I used to enjoy reading up on batman and his rogues gallery so seeing all the incarnations in the series is a treat and the fact there's probably many more to come is great! Penguins portrayal is fantastic I never really cared for the character before but I'm enjoying him in this.

I do need to watch Arrow though and about a 100 other recommended series'!

The introduction of Victor Zsasz was very well done and the subtle nod to his comic-book incarnation's need to tally his victims was brilliantly slipped in there. They didn't overdramatise it or expound on it in any way; it just is something he does that if you know the comic-book lore, gave you tingles of excitement and if you didn't, made Victor that bit sicker in the head.

Also, getting Tommy Elliot in early doors and again, making no big waves over who he will become is a testament to how restrained the writers are with the building blocks they have. It's taken as a given that we know who (most of) these characters become, so instead of beating us about the head, they let us discover their downfall along the way (Harvey Dent briefly losing his temper was another little bit of subtle foreshadowing).

As for Arrow, that and Flash simply work and have taken what made shows like Smallville work over shows that didn't (Birds of Prey for example) and created two fantastic shows, with great characters, amazing versions of a lot of the comic-book heroes and villians while also, somehow, being able to make a dark show like Arrow and a generally lighter-toned (although with its dark moments) show like Flash co-exist without it seeming forced.

All three shows, along with the also great Constantine and Agents of SHIELD, had brilliant mid-season finales, so the future looks good for comic-book adaptations on the small screen.

Add into that and along with the following (which have all been announced, but are in different stages of development) bode well for the next few years -:

DC

Supergirl

Krypton

Young Justice

Titans (a live action Teen Titans show)

Vertigo

iZombie

Preacher

DMZ

Scalped

Lucifer (Sandman spin-off)

Wildstorm

Global Frequency

Marvel

Daredevil

Jessica Jones

Luke Cage

Iron Fist

The Defenders

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think the most recent episode aired in the US has given us, at least in my book, our strongest candidate for a Joker.
If you didn't see the teasers leading up to the show, then the pretty much blatantly said it was.

They talked about the villains they've introduced so far and then said the next one is "no joke" before showing the laugh.

Of course, I'm not 100% convinced he will be The Joker, but he's the best shout so far.

No I don't bother with the teasers for the next episodes, I like to approach an episode fresh with no possible spoilers or things I am I forced to look out for. But whilst he might not be the guy that does, damn did he do a good impression.

Also, for those familiar with the US version of Shameless, the actor also plays Iain in that series on Showtime. That character is bi-polar and at the moment manic as anything and played brilliantly which might have helped him get the part in Gotham.

• 2 months later...