Fan Clubs (beta)

Guardians of the Galaxy

Maxximus

I thought the balance they had between it being a 12 rated movie with the odd thing thrown in for the adults was really well done too.

The line about the black light and the Jackson Pollock painting had all the adults in the cinema laughing, and all the kids laughing, but not knowing why.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fattyfudge
I enjoyed it more than The Avengers... I thought the characters had a far more of an edgier backstory with wives/families being killed, rather than sort of the presteen hero stewreotype

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seen a quote that summed it up

DC: Don't know if audiences are ready for Wonder Woman given the complexities of the character

Marvel: HERE'S A LIVING TREE AND A TALKING RACCOON WITH A MACHINE GUN

Guest John Hancock

I'd say definitely better than The Avengers, and I'd also say they're similar in that Joss Whedon, quippy, unnatural style. I just think Guardians of the Galaxy played it better. It was funnier, it went further in it's weirdness, it never tried to take itself all that seriously, it was, overtly, a children's film for children, it was happy being popcorn, blue-facepaint-alien-trash. It had the confidence to be what it seemed like The Avengers almost was, but was scared of becoming, which is something I blame on my personal dislike of pretty much everything Joss Whedon's ever done, and the after-math of Nolan's Batmans, where comic book films became very, very scared of embracing the stupidity of their source material.

I liked it a lot, but I had my problems. I thought some of the emotion was just really uncalled for. Rocket Racoon scream-crying, the over-long Mum-death in the intro, it was all trying a bit hard, and seemed just really out of place with the "weee, friendship!" tone of the rest of the film, I just found it really jarring and awkward. Also, I thought the action was shot TERRIBLY. Every fight scene, I had absolutely no idea what was going on, I had no concept of who was doing what to who, it was just very fast flashing images, and then a shot of everyone laying on the floor.

Those were my only criticisms though. I thought it was genuinely funny and weird and subversive and brave. I thought it new it's audience, and it's tone, and, other than the weird emotional bits, stuck to it's ridiculous guns from beginning to end. Also, as someone who hates blue screening when it's that prevalent, I didn't really mind it all (the only time it stuck out was the prison scenes, where some of the colouring was a bit off), and I think that's an effect from it being set in an unrealistic world full of unrealistic people (although I did recognise loads of shots of London during the final battle, which was kinda weird) so the difference between what you're seeing on the screen, and what actual life looks like (which is what pulls me out of things like The Avengers) wasn't so jarring. I also liked that, like the Toy Story trilogy, it was a kid's film with ingrained adult appeal, not a kid's film that occasionally tips it's hat to the parents in the audience by making a joke about something kid's wouldn't understand, and then getting back to the kid stuff. It's cool to see an adult-friendly film that's so kid-stuff heavy, with sociopathic racoons, and talking trees, and spaceships, and face-paint-aliens, and creepy baddies, and an actual sense of fun and joy in anything. It wasn't just men, dressed like men, walking around, being men/ars*holes. I can't imagine many good kids toys will come out of The Avengers series. I imagine a lot will come out of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edited by John Hancock

• 1 month later...