Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club 11.5: Is This The Worst Song You've Ever Heard?

ShaolinHandLock

You people are insane. I didn't expect much positive scoring for the Steezy Ant track, but this is ridiculous. Some of those guys are veteran rappers on the underground horrorcore scene, and almost all of them are considered really good rappers by not only myself, but loads of other people.

And to answer you Omega, yes, at least half of those guys (possibly all of them) make money from their music, even if it is only a little bit since they are all independent artists and not on major labels.

It wouldn't bother me if people just didn't like the song, but two reviews in a row calling it the 'worst thing ever'? I could easily show you something 100 times worse with thousands more fans, and they also make money from their music.....I don't get anything anymore. :?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are insane. I didn't expect much positive scoring for the Steezy Ant track, but this is ridiculous. Some of those guys are veteran rappers on the underground horrorcore scene, and almost all of them are considered really good rappers by not only myself, but loads of other people.

And to answer you Omega, yes, at least half of those guys (possibly all of them) make money from their music, even if it is only a little bit since they are all independent artists and not on major labels.

It wouldn't bother me if people just didn't like the song, but two reviews in a row calling it the 'worst thing ever'? I could easily show you something 100 times worse with thousands more fans, and they also make money from their music.....I don't get anything anymore. :?

If it's the worst thing I've ever heard then it f*cking well is. Show me the stuff you think is worse, maybe it is but for a fact that song is the worst attempt at serious music I've ever listened to from professional artists. FACT because it's my ears and my tastes.

You should stop doing the music club if you genuinely cannot bear being told something you like is horrible. It's tiresome in the extreme to try and baby you through it every time this happens.

Guest John Hancock

I had to listen, just to see what all the fuss was about. It was bad. It certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard, because it wasn't from Japan, but it's very, very rubbish. It would be standard "guy who thinks he can rap but can't" shlock if it wasn't 13 minutes long. I think it's the length that's offensive. The people saying it's the worst thing ever, I'd imagine, don't like rap, and haven't listened to much of it. It's like how Human Centipede is unimaginably gross if you're not into horror movies. If you're into rap or whatever, you've probably heard a thousand things just like that, and a fair few things even worse. It's just very badly made and badly done, and kinda thoughtless and bland. It reminds me death metal, like Cannibal Corpse or whatever, when you just hear a Cannibal Corpse song, and you're like "Oh, okay then", like it's just a noise, it's a whole genre of noise. That whole underground horror-core rap thing just all sounds like people mumbling over those really stock beats that you can download for free. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's just mumbling, and then the guy f*cking around with a microphone, distorting it for no reason and all that lark. It's all very silly.

Speaking of the thread in general, someone better post "Decline" by NoFX as their marathon track.

Guest Inno

I have the whitest rap playlist imaginable on Spotify, so I do listen to *some* rap. But that was awful. And I can't stand Cannibal Corpse either :D

:: EDIT ::

And Shao? It's nothing personal directed at you, honest. That's why I wanted to specifically get my review in first before it looked like I was jumping on a bandwagon. Believe me, I just called it as I heard it. I pretty much guarantee, you of all people in this club, are gonna despise my choices. We just seem to sit at the far end of the musical spectrum. That ain't a bad thing - if nothing else, you got an extra view on a couple of YouTube vids I would never have watched otherwise :)

Edited by Inno

Show me the stuff you think is worse, maybe it is

Here you go

[video=youtube;np8hx9o5qk0]

[video=youtube;ZnZpFvPhUo0]

And I have far more examples than that, but I don't want to fill the thread with them. And the craziest thing? The Prophet Phantomz actually have a record deal, despite the fact that every song I've heard from them has sounded amateur and rapped off-beat.

I had to listen, just to see what all the fuss was about. It was bad. It certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard, because it wasn't from Japan, but it's very, very rubbish. It would be standard "guy who thinks he can rap but can't" shlock if it wasn't 13 minutes long. I think it's the length that's offensive. The people saying it's the worst thing ever, I'd imagine, don't like rap, and haven't listened to much of it. It's like how Human Centipede is unimaginably gross if you're not into horror movies. If you're into rap or whatever, you've probably heard a thousand things just like that, and a fair few things even worse. It's just very badly made and badly done, and kinda thoughtless and bland. It reminds me death metal, like Cannibal Corpse or whatever, when you just hear a Cannibal Corpse song, and you're like "Oh, okay then", like it's just a noise, it's a whole genre of noise. That whole underground horror-core rap thing just all sounds like people mumbling over those really stock beats that you can download for free. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's just mumbling, and then the guy f*cking around with a microphone, distorting it for no reason and all that lark. It's all very silly.

Speaking of the thread in general, someone better post "Decline" by NoFX as their marathon track.

Well this post is all kinds of wrong, regardless of whether you like the song or not. I'll just say this, in regards to the parts I've bolded:

1. You say they can't rap? Based on one song? Okay then...

2. You say that it's bland....I specifically chose this song because I personally thought that it wasn't bland. It's an odd mishmash of rappers with differing styles, a few German rappers and a unique beat, which brings me to my next point...

3. The beat was produced by Da Evilist, who is a veteran on the underground horrorcore scene as both a producer and a rapper, and he sells his beats. There certainly isn't any free stock beat stuff here.

4. The end statement is a complete generalisation, especially when looking at this very song. Not only do none of the rappers on the song mumble (hell, the German rappers do the whole guttural growl thing), but every rapper has a different and distinct style. Not only that, but only about 3 or 4 rappers on the song, out of 14 total use the vocal changing stuff.

Music Club XI: Sprints and Marathons

No one cares. No one cares what you think. You don't review your choices, you review other peoples choices. The only time it's vaguely worth commenting on something is if someone has clearly gone out of their way to rubbish your choices, which hasn't happened.

I reiterate that all four of your points posted previously mean diddly squat. If inno or me hate the song then we hate it. Even john's point that there's some objective reason we must hate rap (despite me giving ODB 7/10) is bunk. I didn't like it, I would never listen to it again. If I hate it then I hate it and you can't and shouldn't pretend we have to rate it well or that our opinions on it are wrong because of whatever reasoning you believe makes them good. I don't give two flying monkey farts if sleazy ant is king of horror core, I think he sounds like a drugged downs sufferer after a serious concussion.

I listened to both those examples of "worse" songs. They sound of exactly the same quality to me, literally none. Maybe the first example was more off beat but you can hear what he's actually saying (not an improvement per say because all the lyrics in all of these abominations sounds almost identical 'I wake up in the morning and I want to kill, because I'm ill, in the head, want you dead, murder stab stab dripping red' etc etc). I almost never say I could do that when talking about music but I genuinely think I could sit there and "rap" horrorcore lyrics over a beat with distortion on my voice and sound as good as these guys and I have no talent to rap at all.

Guest John Hancock

New thread to avoid it derailing the actually music club. For newcomers, we're talking about this;

[video=youtube;pAteCeU6tpk]

For the record, I would agree that both the songs SHL just posted are worse than this. I guess I fall in the middle of the two emerging camps by thinking it's both terrible and yet not the worst rap ever.

Edited by John Hancock

I haven't heard a worse song than this, I've heard songs I hate more than this but at least those songs had either decent production or intelligible vocals or in fact intelligent vocals. For instance I hate this song much more than Sleazy Ant's effort:

[video=youtube;57Zm1MDGYkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zm1MDGYkA

However it's no where near as bad as any of the horrorcore stuff SHL posted. Amateurish would be being kind. However they are professional hence why if I listen to this:

[video=youtube;c-HULgTRNoQ]

It's not worse because it's a bunch of idiots in garage sending a demo into guitar magazine. They may aspire to be professionals or aspire to get paid but they don't, they don't have a record deal and don't produce songs. Therefore how sh*t they are is forgiveable, nay even funny, because you aren't supposed to take thgem seriously.

I listened to both those examples of "worse" songs. They sound of exactly the same quality to me, literally none. Maybe the first example was more off beat but you can hear what he's actually saying (not an improvement per say because all the lyrics in all of these abominations sounds almost identical 'I wake up in the morning and I want to kill, because I'm ill, in the head, want you dead, murder stab stab dripping red' etc etc). I almost never say I could do that when talking about music but I genuinely think I could sit there and "rap" horrorcore lyrics over a beat with distortion on my voice and sound as good as these guys and I have no talent to rap at all.

And that bolded line completely sums up the problem I have with everything you're saying. It's objectively wrong.

You can objectively say that the other two songs I posted as examples are lacking quality, as both are rapped off-beat and have poor audio mixing. You can't say that the Steezy Ant song is objectively bad when it is professionally produced, mixed, mastered, rapped on beat by professional rappers, and easily had a lot more work put into it than the two amateurish examples I posted.

It's the same argument you can have with any 'hated' music in general, you can subjectively find it terrible, but you can't say it lacks quality when it's made by professional music producers who know what they're doing.

And as for the lyrics all sounding the same, that's complete nonsense. I could, again, provide tons of examples of horrorcore rap songs which sound absolutely nothing alike lyrically.

And to end, this is exactly why I haven't bothered releasing any of my new music. It may be a vast improvement on everything else I've recorded, and it may be the first stuff I've made with zero vocal manipulation, but when professional rappers are attacked as having 'zero quality', what hope do I have?

EDIT - Oh, and I forgot - as far as horrorcore as a genre is concerned, there was a time when it was on top of the music charts. These two albums in particular. Perhaps you've heard of them.....:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Eminem_-_The_Slim_Shady_LP_CD_cover.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/The_Marshall_Mathers_LP_second_cover.jpg

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

It's the same argument you can have with any 'hated' music in general, you can subjectively find it terrible, but you can't say it lacks quality when it's made by professional music producers who know what they're doing.
That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard for countering an opinion.

Just because something is professionally produced by people who know what they are doing within a certain genre doesn't mean it can't suck.

I mean, look at all the great movie directors, producers or actors who have released horribly misjudged (at best) films. Game companies that have released great games in the past have made absolute stinkers and music producers that have shown they know how the studio works from a technical capacity won't change the fact the artist sucks.

EDIT - Oh, and I forgot - as far as horrorcore as a genre is concerned, there was a time when it was on top of the music charts. These two albums in particular. Perhaps you've heard of them.....:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Eminem_-_The_Slim_Shady_LP_CD_cover.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/The_Marshall_Mathers_LP_second_cover.jpg

"Horrorcore to da bone, G!" :lol

[video=youtube_share;fa6MtfZ2-cM]

You see, I can cherry pick too. The albums you quoted may have harder-edged tracks on them, but they are mainstream albums by a mainstream rapper.

Nice try though.

Edited by DC

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard for countering an opinion.

Just because something is professionally produced by people who know what they are doing within a certain genre doesn't mean it can't suck.

I mean, look at all the great movie directors, producers or actors who have released horribly misjudged (at best) films. Game companies that have released great games in the past have made absolute stinkers and music producers that have shown they know how the studio works from a technical capacity won't change the fact the artist sucks

But that's totally subjective. Look at all the games and films that are considered the worst ever, they are all filled with errors and mistakes and other stuff that would suggest that at least some of the people involved didn't know what they were doing.

Besides that, everybody, no matter how talented, has made something bad at one time or another. That's not what I'm talking about though, I'm talking about the whole generalisation and attack of a whole genre of music and attack on the musicians involved based on only a few songs. I don't pass judgment on peoples talent based on one song, and I get annoyed when other people do, just because everybody here seems to hate the Steezy Ant song I posted, it doesn't mean that he or the 13 other rappers involved are suddenly talentless hacks.

Hell, even with music genres I hate I don't attack the people who made them or the people who like them. My negative reviews in the music club in the past have all been for stuff I couldn't stand listening to, but I don't attack it, and I certainly don't write it off as objectively bad just because it's not for me.

I]"Horrorcore to da bone, G!"[/i] :lol

You see, I can cherry pick too. The albums you quoted may have harder-edged tracks on them, but they are mainstream albums by a mainstream rapper.

Nice try though.

I'm not cherry picking anything. My Name Is counts as Horrorcore. As I said before, there are so many types of Horrorcore rap out there, with mini-subgenres, that it covers a huge variety of styles and artists. Whether it's mainstream or not doesn't mean a thing.

I'm not cherry picking anything. My Name Is counts as Horrorcore. As I said before, there are so many types of Horrorcore rap out there, with mini-subgenres, that it covers a huge variety of styles and artists. Whether it's mainstream or not doesn't mean a thing.
Horrorcore - a subgenre of hip hop music based on horror-themed lyrical content and imagery

At what point does My Name Is fall into that category?

Shao, you are easily the worst person in the history of the internet when it comes to handling negative feedback.

Horrorcore - a subgenre of hip hop music based on horror-themed lyrical content and imagery

At what point does My Name Is fall into that category?

Shao, you are easily the worst person in the history of the internet when it comes to handling negative feedback.

I see you took that off Wikipedia. Two can play that game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is

Look at the following on that page:

Genre: Horrorcore

Categories: Horrorcore songs

Now, for more proof. From Eminem.net:

Eminem, born Marshall Bruce Mathers III, 17 October 1973, Kansas City, Missouri, USA. This white rapper burst onto the US charts in 1999 with a controversial take on the horrorcore genre.

The song he charted with? My Name Is.

Besides that, look at the lyrics from the song. There are countless Horrorcore songs with the same style, which is both over-the-top and tongue in cheek. And the definition of Horrorcore is much more complicated than that anyway, as there are countless mini-subgenres of Horrorcore which all sound very different from each other.

OK, I concede that it falls under the genre (however loosely), but there is now way you can compare the quality of the Eminem studio albums and that Steezy Ant thing.

It's like saying The Room is comparable to s Don Juan DeMarco or Benny & Joon because they are both romantic-comedy-drama movies in the English language. Sure, they are both movies, they are both romantic-comedy-dramas and they are both in the English language, but they are not in any way comparable in quality.

I was going to use The Royal Tenenbaum as the "good" comparison (as it's just a great, great movie), but it's not a romantic-comedy-drama and Love, Actually isn't as good as Johnny Depp twosome.

It's like saying The Room is comparable to s Don Juan DeMarco or Benny & Joon because they are both romantic-comedy-drama movies in the English language. Sure, they are both movies, they are both romantic-comedy-dramas and they are both in the English language, but they are not in any way comparable in quality.

But that is exactly what I was talking about before. The Room can be seen as objectively bad, because the general opinion is that Tommy Wiseau has no idea what the hell he's doing when it comes to making a movie. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter, as The Room is full of mistakes and nonsensical nonsense.

The Steezy Ant song has nothing wrong with it in regards to production and execution. Comparing it to the Eminem song isn't what I was trying to do, as comparing it to that is like comparing a low budget independent film or a direct to TV/DVD film to a big blockbuster cinema film, of course the quality is going to be different.....but just because it's different, it doesn't make it inherently bad.

EDIT - To put it another way, if the majority of people give something positive reviews, does that mean that it's objectively bad? The Room has a majority of negative reviews, the likes/comments on Steezy Ant's music are majority positive....

EDIT 2 - And besides, he's only one of the people on the track, there are 13 others......

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

You can objectively say that the other two songs I posted as examples are lacking quality, as both are rapped off-beat and have poor audio mixing. You can't say that the Steezy Ant song is objectively bad when it is professionally produced, mixed, mastered, rapped on beat by professional rappers, and easily had a lot more work put into it than the two amateurish examples I posted.

And this is where you fail, as you always do in these discussions.

The reason? Because you bold my quote and then don't actually read it properly:

I listened to both those examples of "worse" songs. They sound of exactly the same quality to me, literally none.

I've bolded the bits that matter, without sounding egotistical, and it's that I listened to both songs and TO ME there is no difference in the quality of either song. I pointed out the reasons for that, regardless of whether you or anyone else agrees is of no matter.

You may think because you like the genre and know about the rappers somehow you have some insight that makes your opinion trump anyone elses who doesn't like it but again that's where you are wrong. For all your knowledge of horrocore you have stunted knowledge about almost everything else, you can't even bring yourself to consider anything else without a direct comparison. For you to accuse other people who like rap in general but don;t like your posts of being not objective is laughable. Really honestly laughable. Cannot take less seriously.

You should stop posting anything you don't want to hear people dislike. You cannot take it. it is not for the rest of the world to agree with you, like what you like or praise things you want praised. Everyone lets you post 2/10 without much more than a passing joke at how narrow minded you are about music but you have to sh*t your diapers if someone makes any kind of negative comment about something you like.

EDIT:

The Steezy Ant song has nothing wrong with it in regards to production and execution.

Really?

Chorus vocals are too loud compared to the backing track, vocals of the other rappers vary in volume, the beat is too trebley, there was something else about the hook that was wrong but I'm not going to listen to that abortion again just to point out that it may not have anything wrong with it production wise within the confines of the musical diarrhea that is Horrorcore but those are just a few points I can pick out as "wrong" in general. So yeah, again objectivity non-existent.

Edited by Omega

Guest bigmatt

This thread is hurting my head. I can't follow the specific example because I know absolutely nothing about it but Shao you seem to misunderstand objectivity and subjectivity. Take your last post as an example:

The Room can be seen as objectively bad, because the general opinion is that Tommy Wiseau has no idea what the hell he's doing when it comes to making a movie.

No, it can't. It's a movie, it's art. Objective means uninfluenced by personal tastes, feelings or experiences. Objective truths are things that are true regardless of your experience of them. They're tangible. "The general opinion" of The Room is just a collection of individual subjective opinions. It doesn't matter how many individual, subjective opinions there are that agree that it's a terrible movie, it is still subjective. If every person on earth watched the film and agreed it was terrible, that still wouldn't make it objectively terrible.

You seem to have this idea that some sort of technical proficiency negates something from being judged subjectively, without realising that technical proficiency is subjective itself:

And even if he did, it wouldn't matter, as The Room is full of mistakes and nonsensical nonsense.

The Steezy Ant song has nothing wrong with it in regards to production and execution. Comparing it to the Eminem song isn't what I was trying to do, as comparing it to that is like comparing a low budget independent film or a direct to TV/DVD film to a big blockbuster cinema film, of course the quality is going to be different.....but just because it's different, it doesn't make it inherently bad.

Paul Cézanne was dismissed in this way. There's a genre of painting called bathers, and traditionally it was executed in a very technical, proficient, lifelike and "proper" way such as by Cezanne's contemporary William-Adolphe Bouguereau:

http://williambouguereau.org/Bathers%20William-Adolphe%20Bouguereau.jpg

Cézanne's take:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/upload/img/cezanne-bathers-les-grandes-baigneuses-NG6359-fm.jpg

His critics screamed that he couldn't paint, he was objectively bad. But he could. He could have painted the first painting because he was an excellent painter but he chose not to. "Production" and "execution" virtues and "mistakes" are subjective too.