Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC Fight Night Mega-Thread

King

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I literally ran out of time to watch the Henderson/Dos Anjos show, I caught most of the Bisping/Le one though and Bisping gave Cung quite the beating. Time for Cung to step down now and be a very useful UFC ambassador to China.

Guest bigmatt
I thought it was tonight too until they absolute last minute. Terrible promotion from the UFC considering how big a deal Bisping is.

EDIT: Also, really, really strange news coming out of the show. Two fights in, the UFC threw one of the judges out for submitting "bizarre" score cards. Looks like he was either taking bribes, or literally didn't understand the rules. Because the show was in China, there's no proper athletic commission, so all the judges and referees were hand-picked by the UFC themselves, which means they also have the power to fire them mid-show. Kenny Florian was apparently openly calling the judging "awful" during the prelims.

Other fun facts, Michael Bisping is now the most successful UFC fighter to never get a title shot. No one else who hasn't had a shot has so many wins.

Also, there's another show happening right now, because f*ck you for trying to watch all the UFC shows, and Ben Saunders, after, almost 21 years, has become the first person ever in the UFC to win a match with an omplata, which is noteworthy because it's like the third move most people learn in any sort of grappling.

After an internal review, the UFC organization announced today that a breach of its independent regulatory protocol occurred on Saturday night during UFC FIGHT NIGHT MACAO.

After the second fight of the night, UFC President Dana White requested that Howard Hughes, one of the event's five assigned judges, be removed from working any further bouts. Pursuant to UFC's protocol, neither White nor any other UFC executive possesses such authority. Nevertheless, protocol was breached and Hughes did not work further bouts on Saturday night.

The UFC organization has always been in support of government regulation and oversight. Additionally, the UFC has established a protocol when required to self-regulate events due to the lack of an official athletic commission, federation or other regulatory body. In those instances where UFC holds events in locations without a regulatory body, the UFC's protocol dictates that the organization's internal regulators will handle all commission functions independently and without interference by company executives or employees.

The UFC remains committed to maintaining the strictest regulatory environment for competition and vows that no similar breach of protocol will happen again.

Both White and the UFC apologize to Mr. Hughes for calling his professional judgment into question. Hughes has judged more than 25 UFC fight cards and the UFC looks forward to him working on its events again in the future.

http://ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-Regarding-Judging-at-UFC-Fight-Night-Macao

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Hancock

There's another of these tomorrow night, and it looks great. Mousasi, Overeem, Lauzon, someone's getting f*cked up.

Interesting side note, it's on a reservation, so it's under the jurisdiction of the native American athletic commission, and they're using a much smaller cage than usual (who know's why, maybe they're scared buffalo spirits might try to graze in the bigger cage because of racism) which means much, much more people punching each other in the head, and much, much less Carlos Condit moonwalking.

Guest The Beltster
Jesus Christ, anything that Overeem had after that Lesnar win, ANYTHING, any sort of mystique or whatever, its gone. Its so far gone its never coming back, this dude has such a glass chin its not even funny. Steroid Overeem is awesome, regular Overeem pretty much stinks.

Guest John Hancock

That show was a great argument for UFC always using WEC-sized cages, and a pretty good example of why WEC was so good. Tiny cages forever!

Overeem needs to pick a fight with an absolute nobody, win, and retire before it gets any more embarrassing. If the JDS fight happens, he'll actually die.

Guest The Beltster
I think the JDS fight will happen. Gives JDS a win and its still a huge name fight. I'd love to see it even if the Reem is washed up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Hancock

There's one of these Saturday night in Japan, and it looks like a belter. Not sure what time of day it's going to be on T.V. though.

There's also already great news going into it that Mark "Anthony Johnson" Hunt is just so f*cking fat that there's a serious chance he's going to miss the weigh-in limit tomorrow. That's the weigh-in limit for the heavyweight division. According to Ariel Helwani, he's currently 285lb, which is 19 pounds over the maximum weight for a UFC heavyweight, and, really, for a UFC fighter in general. It's worth remembering that Hunt is only 5'10. I know BMI is bullshit, but, just for the fun of it, in BMI terms, that would make Mark Hunt morbidly obese.

Edited by John Hancock

Guest John Hancock
They basically just massively dehydrate themselves. It's ridiculously dangerous, but a quirk in the rules that's probably impossible to solve realistically. You'd be amazed how much weight you can lose in a day if you really want to, but things like this are really the only time there's any point to it, because the second you drink a glass of water, you put it all back on again. I've done it a little bit in the past, because I had a trainer who had the ludicrous idea that I could do light-heavyweight tournaments (spoiler, I can't), and it's just the stupidest thing for anyone to do.

Guest The Beltster
Dehydration via working out wearing sweat suits, sitting in saunas, having tepid salt baths. It can literally shut down your system and cause you to slip into a coma and die. Its retarded and they should change the rules to where you have to hit certain weight points every day for the last 7 days leading into the fight which would force people to lose it gradually and not drop it all in the last half day.

Guest The Beltster
I downloaded it earlier, it was good fun. Well worth a watch. Sexyama fought too, I had no idea he was still even in the UFC. Apparently he hadnt fought in 950 days or something!