Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XII: No speak Engrish

2/10 isn't a gimmick, it's a way of life. :lol

I meant to mention this on yesterday's podcast, but I actually love how 2/10 has become the new 0/10. Like, giving something 0 is bad, but for some reason 2/10 just seems so much worse now.

I think it's become bigger than Shao's original usage of it now anyway. He may have brought the beauty of 2/10 to our attention, but now it's just become part of my normal vocabulary. If I'm p*ssed off at work and someone asks how my day is going, I rate it a 2/10. If someone asks me how good a game is that I thought was awful, it gets 2/10.

2/10 has become my new standard for awful, and I hope it stays in the TWO vocabulary for a long time to come. :lol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rammstein - Moskau

[video=youtube_share;RYM9IylxOQY]

For many this band don't need an introduction and are an obvious choice for a club were we aren't allowed an English speaking band or a non-English song. Many would go for a more obvious choice or one from the earlier career such as Du Hast or Sonne etc but for me, its this song which gives you not just German but Russian as well! It's just really catchy, still got the heavy and electronic influences from the earlier work and one of my favourite Rammstein songs.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Flashback

[video=youtube_share;8KVqNnY60Vo]

AKFG are more indie then rock or punk but this is one of their shorter punky efforts, in fact their first track off their first full length from back in the mists of 2003. It's as a result my favourite track of theirs due to my love of punk music and more accessible for me out of their whole body of work but its a good starting point to listen to and see them evolve from.

This is quite alright for a 2 minute track, it works really well. A little longer and may have gotten bored of it but yeah a nice sprint.

7/10

Rammstein - Moskau

This is by far one of my favourite tracks and probably my favourite album from Rammstein. Just imagine the most dirtiest underground inhumane mafia-like crime in let's say...Moscow and have this song as the soundtrack to whatever is happening, while reading an essay from Etz. I don't want to even say what I'm thinking, just translate some of the lyrics and you'll get where I'm coming from. This song just strikes as something perverted that it's just turns you into a creep listening to it. Then package it in the German and Russian language with that echoing or whistling keyboard and accordion, damn.

10/10

Gringles

Rammstein - Moskau

Man, "Reise, Reise" is such a great album. I don't even need to listen to this since I know it like the back of my hand. I'm still gonna though. While I like this track, it's nowhere near my favourite Rammstein track (which fluctuates between P*ssy, Sonne, Ich Tu Dir Weh, Hilf Mir, Mein Teil, and Keine Lust) or even the best track on the album for that matter (Mein Teil or Keine Lust, surely?).

That being said, it's still Rammstein, and it's still great. 8/10

I know these guys, they did "Haruka Kanata" from Naruto, right? If it's the same band, then I'm disappointed at the lack of gallop bass in this song. It was actually pretty cool just for two minutes. I echo Shaun's sentiment that I may have got a bit bored of this had it been any longer, but it's pretty neat little 2 minute pop song. 7/10

In other news, my picks are causing me problems. At the minute I've got it down to 5, but I want to use all of them damnit!! :lol

Rammstein - Moskau -

Didn't feel this and I love a lot of Rammstein. I'm not a massively industrial metal fan and I know that the roots of the band stem from there so I do find myself occasionally finding tracks that just aren't my cup of team. I have a similar issue with Fear Factory. So for this one a simple 4/10

Asian Green Day before Green Day became a bloated pop punk corpse left rotting on the beach of the mainstream. I can dig it, like aall punk it doesn;t really work on the big stage but I'd imagine in a small venue this would rock a heck of a lot more. 7/10

Rammstein - Moskau

I'm not on board with the whole Rammstein thingmabob; Some of their stuff is OK but a lot of it sounds very cut-n-paste to me. I think their stage show (which admittedly is incredible) gets them a hall pass. Haven't heard this before, but I'll be honest, I liked it. I can be objective now and then, see ;)

7/10

Not sure about the Green Day comparison, perhaps more Bad Religiony to me? Anyway, I like this but echo the comments about it not overstaying it's welcome. Short, sharp and pretty cool.

7/10

Rammstein - Moskau

I'm not on board with the whole Rammstein thingmabob; Some of their stuff is OK but a lot of it sounds very cut-n-paste to me. I think their stage show (which admittedly is incredible) gets them a hall pass. Haven't heard this before, but I'll be honest, I liked it. I can be objective now and then, see ;)

7/10

Not sure about the Green Day comparison, perhaps more Bad Religiony to me? Anyway, I like this but echo the comments about it not overstaying it's welcome. Short, sharp and pretty cool.

7/10

I will ignore you comparing a bland japanese pop punk band to one of the greatest punk bands ever created. Where's the multi-part harmonies or searing lyrical content? Nah mate, nah..... ;)

Sometimes Mean White Boy Bobby

Rammstein - Moskau

Being a sucker for anything remotely industrial, I'm pretty familiar with Rammstein so I've heard this song before. I love the angry open and how the song becomes tempered by the female vox. It's hard to not get pumped listening to this band. They have an emotional quality that appeals to me and this song's got that in spades. I wouldn't call it my favorite Rammstein song, but it's far from their worst. I really like the female backing vocals, so much that I had to comment on them twice. 7/10

Oh yeah this is totally like the Japanese Bad Religion just not as intense. I love me some Bad Religion so I'm totally okay with this. It was short enough to have been a great choice for last clubs Sprint and Marathons picks in the sprint category. So short in fact that I had to give it a second listen and didn't mind at all.

There's a lot of energy there but like I said, not as much as Bad Religion, but that's good. No one likes a copycat. The singer is pretty good and briefly shows off his range. The rest of the band is very competent. The little bridge or "breakdown" reminds me of something else I can't quite place. Overall this was pretty good. Would listen again. 7/10

Guest Beefhead

BABYMETAL - ギミチョコ!!- Gimme chocolate!!

This thing is ****ing epic. Somebody posted a live performance from some metal festival here in the us on my Facebook page, and I freakin loved it. 9/10

Dir En Grey - didn't like this too much. Sadly I don't know what it is that didn't work just that it didn't. Let's see how bout 4/10

Rammstein - Moskau

Rammstein is Rammstein 9/10

Yeah this pretty cool I like this almost as much as gimme chocolate. 8/10

BABYMETAL - Gimme chocolate!!

I was not expecting to like this as most metal songs are not my thing but this was not bad at all. For novelty value along you gain extra points but I found myself actually liking this. I listened to it a second time and it grew on me again. 7/10

Dir En Grey - "Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami"

I am afraid this is not me at all where as I love the guitar and drums the sound and tone of the singers I do not like at all it grinds on my nerves. For the instruments alone I will give 5/10.

I am now shocked this is my favourite so far it has shown me that I need to move my taste in music to accept more gendres and to be more open minded before I think about reviewing a song as I was expecting to hate this as well. I would look this group up and listen to more songs they have done as this is good. 8/10

Rammstein - Moskau

Well I was not expecting this I like this song as well I had never heard of Rammstein before but metal is mot my thing but strangely this is actually not bad at all. Not sure if I would buy an album or have there songs on my phone but if it came on the radio I would not turn it off. 6/10.

Edited by Laffy

I have been listening to a lot of Andre Rieu thanks to my dad. He does everything from pop, drinking songs and classical. I was going to do the Dutch drinking song but chose instead my favourite classical song.

Carmina Burana ~ O Fortuna | Carl Orff ~ André Rieu

[video=youtube_share;GD3VsesSBsw]

My next song takes me back to the 1994 Italian World Cup and the first time I had heard the three tenors sing and was introduced to something called classical music. I was hooked, this is them just having fun trying to outdo themselves it is one of my favourite memories. When ever I am down I listen to this.

The 3 Tenors O Sole Mio 1994

[video=youtube_share;ERD4CbBDNI0]

Edited by Laffy

I'm not an opera fan, this piece of music has been so overused since the Old Spice ad made it famous that I can't even listen to it anymore. 0/10

And this is the ice cream ad music so yeah.... at least there was some fun in it from the tenors. 3/10

These reviews say nothing about how well each piece is performed, they could be the best versions sung by the greatest operatic singers ever. I like one piece of opera really and that's nessun dorma and only then if it's sung by Paverotti or Harry Secombe, which I know is a little random but there you go.

Yeah, it's NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DRAMATIC MUSIC for beginners. It's an awesome tune, it has to be said - but overkill is the name of the game. And Andre Rieu is a monster and must be stopped. He's brainwashing old people into following him blindly. My folks think he's some sort of God.

5/10

This was like The Spice Girls of male opera singers at the time; couldn't go anywhere without hearing them. Opera and classical... I appreciate the skills and the talent but it's just so not my bag. Except Zadok The Priest...

5/10

Just something I can't get into at all. Sorry folks :/