Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XII: No speak Engrish

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carmina Burana ~ O Fortuna | Carl Orff ~ André Rieu - I've heard this music before, not in it's entirety or this particular version though. The beginning, as well as the dramatic part leading to the end were fine, but the singing in between dragged on a bit for me. I didn't hate it, but not something I'd listen to. 3/10.

The 3 Tenors O Sole Mio 1994 - Don't really know what to say about this. 2/10.

Giggles

Carmina Burana ~ O Fortuna | Carl Orff ~ André Rieu

I'm with Megs on this. These days it's used to hock merchandise. That's when music ceases to be music and becomes a jingle. A shitty corporate jingle that remindes people they need to put chemicals under their arms so the don't offend anyone else with their stench. the 13 year old me who discovered this in the film Excalibur would give this a 10/10, but the best the me of today can come up with for this is a 2/10. I literally never want to hear this ever again.

The 3 Tenors O Sole Mio 1994

I was hoping mobsters would have busted in and started shooting up the place. That didn't happen. I'm sad now. Same as the above really. One point per dude. 3/10

Laffarella:

Carmina Burana ~ O Fortuna | Carl Orff ~ André Rieu

I remember listening to this as a kid (incidentally, after saying how cool it was on the Old Spice advert and my Grandad playing me the full piece of music), and I thought it was amazing. And then the X Factor just ruined the sh*t out of it for me. Now I can't hear the opening of this without thinking of that d*ckhead announcer with the booming voice being all, "IT'S TIME FOR THE X FACTOR!!".

I f*cking HATE the X Factor, they are the ruiners of all that is good, which unfortunately includes this song. It used to be a 10/10, but from sheer overuse and it's frequent appearances on the goddamn bast*rd X Factor I can only give it 5/10 in good conscience.

The 3 Tenors - O Sole Mio 1994

Go on then, who else started singing "Just one Cornetto"? :lol

Again, another great piece of classical music, which just suffers from over familiarity and being shoved into a buttload of adverts. It's pleasant enough, but far from the best thing I've heard from the 3 Tenors. The vocal interplay is cool, and you can see that all 3 guys are having a laugh with this, but unfortunately it's another 5/10.

Right, time for my picks. We've had metal and classical so far, so how about some Europop for y'all? We're going Eurovison up in this b*tch!!

For my first pick we're going all the back to 1979 for a song which may be familiar if you follow the work of Uhaa Nation. If you don't, prepare yourself for (in my opinion) one of the finest foreign disco songs ever committed to vinyl. I'm expecting everyone to learn the dance moves for our next official TWO meet up.

Dschinghis Khan - "Dschinghis Khan"

[video=youtube;p2bvPzvFlP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bvPzvFlP8

Secondly, who like Polish hip-hop? How about Polish hip-hop with immense amounts of cleavage thrown in for good measure? Here's the song I thought should've won this year's Eurovision Song Contest:

**I guess this may be NSFW, dependant on how your work feels about gratuitous cleavage shots?**

Donatan & Cleo - My Slowianie (We Are Slavic Girls)

**skip to about 45 seconds in for the song to actually start**

[video=youtube;rr1DSgjhRqE]

WOOOO!! EUROPOP!! :tban

Edited by dsrchris

Well, some Germans heard "Rasputin" by Boney M and found another infamous dude from history to write a song about. Now, backstory time. I used to go visit my mate in uni when I had my year out, he used his CD player as an alarm and the CD he had was.... Boney M's greatest hits. I now bear a very really hatred for cheesey disco tunes. So sadly, despite finding this awesome I have to give it 2/10

however Chris's new nick name is DSRchingis Khan, fact.

10/10 because it's eurovision and that's possibly my most guilty pleasure of the year. Well played sir.

Now this, I like just for cheese. I like cheese. HOO! HAH! I did read it as DSRChris Khan and thought you were moonlighting...

8/10

Yes. The "wit" in me wants to give this one 2/10 for each outstanding point, but it's better than that. I kinda dig it in that once a year pissed up on cheap Kestrel Lager Eurovision way

8/10

Laffarella: Carmina Burana ~ O Fortuna | Carl Orff ~ André Rieu

Dramatic but overused as everyone has said, although while most seem to associate with the X-Factor, having never watched an episode of that show when I hear it the picture in my mind is the Annoying Devil off Balls of Steel. Still whilst I don't like Opera I do appricate the talent involved in being able to do it which is why I won't give this nothing bad, just a just below average 4/10

The 3 Tenors - O Sole Mio 1994

I have pictures of Cornetto's in my head as Chris alluded to. Again not a fan of classic music or artists (well unless you count Katherine Jenkins when she is not singing?) but everyone of a certain age group knows these three, knows this song and even if they don't like it they won't be too offended by it. Still though, not my cup of tea.3/10.

One of the breakdowns in the song sounds like a bit of an Ompa Lumpa song out of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Classic 70's cheesy pop, similar to a watered down ABBA in some respects - not something I'd like to listen to all the time but if it came on the radio (and what a weird and wonderful radio station that would be) I wouldn't turn it off. 5/10

It sounds like the Saturday's if they were from Eastern Europe musically but with more accordion. It's modern Europop cheese, produce and done rather well, with the addition of some lovely chesty ladies in the video - additionally the vocalist looks a little like Lily Cole. Again not something I'd listen to everyday but the fact that a) she looks like Lily Cole, b) boobs and c) accordion means I am giving this a 7/10

Chris Wood

I hate disco. I'm sorry, I just do. That said, I listened to this twice. It's so goddamn catchy and makes for a great entrance theme. The music is classic disco, the lyrics are very simply even in a foreign language and while they may be repetitive, that's keeping to the classic disco genera.

I would listen to this and enjoy it anytime it was played but wouldn't actively seek it out or play it myself. It's silly and fun. 6/10

Slavic girls are smokin' hot and this song it pretty baller. I obviously don't understand the words but that doesn't keep it from being catchy. The beat is pretty good; I love the accordion and strings mixed in. It gives it that ethnic flare that makes this track somewhat endearing.

Again, not a song or group I would actively seek, but I enjoyed it. Bonus point for the boobs. 7/10

Dschinghis Khan - "Dschinghis Khan" - I have no idea what to say to that. It didn't do anything for me. This left me feeling nothing either way, sorry. 2/10.

Donatan & Cleo - My Slowianie (We Are Slavic Girls) - This just annoyed me. Her voice annoyed me, especially during the chorus, and the constant clapping distracted me, rather than blending into the song. I found nothing to like here. 0/10.

Sorry it's taken me so long guys, I've been really busy with life and recently battling a nasty cold that has me pretty much hating almost everything.

Let's get it on!

First up is a drone type sounding ballad from Icelandic metal band Sólstafir. I love this song. It's a little long but very catchy, ethereal, full of emotion. It's long but doesn't feel that long, if you get what I'm saying. The female backing vox that comes in around the four minute mark add just another amazing layer to an already great track.

The title Fjara means Beach and the song is about someone who has lost their way and is struggling, and failing, to find the right path once again.

[video=youtube;XmGdSOhBx8E]

Up next is a track by German industrial band Einstürzende Neubauten called Stella Maris featuring German singer and actress Meret Becker. It a duet and basically a really neat love song. Not much more to say about it really. Short and sweet.

[video=youtube;dYmRnl_J9GI]

Enjoy!

Sólstafir - Fjara

Ooo, first thought - this would fit into Twin Peaks perfectly, and that means I like it. Plus the video is some freaky Scandinavian shit and everybody needs more of that in their life. I really like this.

9/10

Einstürzende Neubauten - Stella Maris

Digging the dude's Spanish Inquisition style hat first of all. Quite cool and quirky, this. Has a weird evil, dark udnertone to it that go against the lyrics; it's another David Lynch-esque kind of feel to it. Pretty cool.

7/10

Sólstafir - Fjara - This felt overlong to me. The music didn't feel like it really kicked in until around 3 minutes in. I'm not really a fan of the vocals either. So I didn't like it. The music video was cool though, so it gets extra points for that. 3/10.

Einstürzende Neubauten - Stella Maris - I didn't like this at all. I can't really describe why, I just found this borderline annoying. Sorry. 0/10.

My picks. First one, I have no idea what's going on or why. But I dig it and the song's pretty good too.

FINNTROLL - Häxbrygd

[video=youtube;GclKDei5hHU]

Next one, it's pretty close to my heart - it's by Runrig, sung in Scots Gaelic. Alba is Gaelic for Scotland, see...

Runrig - Alba

[video=youtube;U1AF3AXhnEc]

• 2 weeks later...