Fan Clubs | beta

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

DC

Credit: http://www.marvel.com newsletter

Official movie synopsis confirms the appearance of

Sabretooth, love interest and other mutants

Posted: 2007-12-14 Updated: 2007-12-14 15:54:35

20th Century Fox has released the following statement to update movie fans on "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," the highly anticipated X-prequel set to star Marvel's lovable Canucklehead:

"'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' is set to star [Hugh] Jackman and will be directed by Gavin Hood ('Tsotsi,' 'Rendition'). The producers are Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter (who produced all three previous 'X-Men' films), along with Jackman and his Seed Prods. producing partner, John Palermo. The film will be executive produced by Marvel Films' Kevin Feige.

"Leading up to the events of 'X-Men,' 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'—written by David Benioff ('The Kite Runner,' 'Troy')—tells the story of Wolverine's epically violent and romantic past, his complex relationship with Victor Creed, and the ominous Weapon X program. Along the way, Wolverine encounters many mutants, both familiar and new, including surprise appearances by several legends of the X-Men universe."

We can't wait! "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is set for a May 1, 2009 release. Filming is scheduled to begin early next year in Australia and New Zealand. Check back here on Marvel.com for more updates on the film!

There are rumours that both The Blob and Kestrel may be in the movie, as well as talk of Liev Schreiber portraying a young William Stryker. Brian Cox has expressed an interest in playing the role again however, using the "de-aging" techniques shown in X3 for Magneto and Xavier.

Tyler Mane was interested in reprising his role as Sabretooth, but has confirmed on his MySpace page that he will NOT be taking the role.

Robert Knepper has been cast, but no details of his role as of yet. He has played Russian's before on screen, so Omega Red could be a possibility.

There has also been speculation on a sequel set in Japan, which would most likely feature Silver Samurai.

With the movie being called X-Men Origins: Wolverine, it looks like there could be a cadré of X-Men prequels featuring the main cast.

X-Men Origins: Cyclops

X-Men Origins: Prof. X

X-Men Origins: Gambit

X-Men Origins: Mr. Sinister

X-Men Origins: Apocalypse

These are the one's I'd like to see. The Gambit/Sinister/Apoc movies could be used to introduce the characters for a fourth X-Men ensemble.

Edited by DC

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

It's ridiculous that we have'nt seen Gambit pop up yet considering how popular he is.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see an Angel film with the whole Dark Angel saga.

Anyway, the looks good. The origional trigology was fun and I got a geeky kick out of the whole "OMGIT'SANGELOMGIT'SICEMANOMGIT'SPSYLOCKEOMGIT'SQUILL!" thing.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on previous reports.

Credit: IGN

Sabretooth Cast in Wolverine?

Previously announced actor may have been rumored for wrong role.

by Stax

US, January 11, 2008

While the casting of Liev Schreiber (The Omen) in the Fox spin-off X-Men Origins: Wolverine has been known for some months now, a new rumor claims that the role the actor is playing is different than what earlier reports suggested.

According to CHUD.com, Schreiber will not play the younger version of Colonel William Stryker (portrayed by Brian Cox in X2: X-Men United) but rather Victor Creed, a.k.a. Sabretooth (played in X-Men by wrestler-turned-actor Tyler Mane).

Furthermore, CHUD says that Michelle Monaghan (Gone Baby Gone, M:I-3) is a frontrunner to play the Silver Fox. Live Free or Die Hard femme fatale Maggie Q was previously rumored for the role. In the comics, the Silver Fox was a member of the CIA's mutant covert ops unit called Team X alongside Wolverine and Sabretooth.

So who will play the younger Stryker? CHUD claims to have heard that Dexter star Michael C. Hall is a contender for that role.

Hall as Stryker is an interesting prospect, but I'm unsure about Schreiber as Sabretooth. I like Liev as an actor (his turn in CSI was fantastic), but I don't see him having the same physical presence as the near 7' Tyler Mane.

On a plus note, SILVER FOX!!!

• 1 month later...

More casting news...

News: Danny Huston strikes Wolverine

Plus word on Silver Fox and The Blob…

18 Feb 2008 9:26am

The last time we saw Danny Huston, he was running around a small, isolated town in Alaska devouring the natives for 30 Days Of Night. Now it looks like he’ll be menacing Hugh Jackman as he’s just signed up to play the younger William Stryker (as played by Brian Cox in X2). Stryker, of course, is the man who oversees the Weapon X programme, which is how Logan gets his Adamantium skeleton and famous claws.

IESB.net has confirmed the casting, and also lets slip another sliver of news: the role of Silver Fox, which was rumoured to be down to just Michelle Monaghan or Maggie Q, has in fact gone to relative newcomer Lynn Collins, seen in The Number 23 and Bug. She’ll be playing Logan’s tragic love interest who also hides a secret of her own.

Oh, and the IESB boys have also been tracking down word that Jackman’s talk of “other mutant cameos” looks to be coming to live in the form of massive mutant mangler The Blob. Apparently the huge, nearly indestructible lardo will be played practically with a bloke in a fat suit and then augmented with CGI.

Credit: http://www.totalfilm.com

Gambit Cast In Wolverine Movie

Taylor Kitsch in the role

Source: Superhero Hype

19 February 2008

Superherohype is reporting that Taylor Kitsch (TV's Friday Night Lights) has been cast as Gambit in the forthcoming Wolverine movie, confirming months of rumours that the character will make an appearance.

Kitsch has apparently signed a three picture deal, which would suggest that Gambit, a mutant with the power to make objects explosive by charging them with kinetic energy, will play a major role, but could mean that Fox is merely hedging its bets.

It's been a long wait to see Gambit in a X-Men movie, who's been rumoured since the first film was announced. We're a little disappointed that Lost's Josh Holloway won't be playing the role, because he would have been perfect casting, but we can't wait to see him and his explosive playing cards on screen.

In other Wolverine news, Aintitcool is repeating the long circulating rumour that Ryan Reynolds will cameo in the movie as Deadpool, a lesser know smart-ass mercenary character. As we said, the story's been doing the rounds for a while, but AICN says they have it confirmed. This would be fantastic casting.

Olly Richards

Credit: http://www.empireonline.com

GAMBIT!! Now that's some good news. Add in the potential three-picture deal and you have what appears to be a lot of forward planning on the part of Marvel.

Ryan Reynolds is also perfect for the Deadpool part (if that comes to pass).

Edited by DC

Guest Anime Otaku
Admittedly I only know the character from the Marvel RPG but Deadpool is an excellent foil for Wolverine but in a different way from Cyclops so I'm looking forward to that, almost makes up for no Maggie Q.

BBC News website have confirmed that it will be Ryan Reynolds to play Deadpool, Will.I.Am from Black Eyed Peas will play John Wraith. Interesting choice for the latter.

Never particularly liked Gambit myself, 90s invention and just a stereotype cool actor role to fill in a love interest for Rogue.

Got on my nerves...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a while since any news has been released on this movie, but that changes today.

At Comic-Con, Hugh Jackman made a surprise appearance and introduced some preview footage of the Wolverine prequel. There's no video of the footage online yet, but Empire did cover the story and give a description.

Wolverine Unveiled

First look at prequel footage

25 July 2008

One of the biggest surprises today at Comic Con came at the end of the Fox panel when, unscheduled, a very special guest appeared. Coming straight from filming in Australia, Hugh Jackman leapt onstage to introduce the first footage from Gavin Hood’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Needless to say the crowd went absolutely mental.

The footage was a sizzle reel of footage that will likely form the basis of the first trailer. Action-packed isn’t even the word for it and several scenes, including appearances from other well known mutant characters drew forth a storm of applause.

The footage begins with Jackman’s Logan and Liev Schreiber’s Victor Creed (aka Sabertooth) huddled in a prison cell in army fatigues (Creed’s fingernails are noticeably claw-like). Danny Huston’s William Stryker stands before them.

Stryker: “You were sentenced to death for decapitating a senior officer. Your sentence was carried out by a firing squad at 10:00 hours. How did that go?”

Cut to the two tied to stakes and a squad of soldiers opening fire.

Cut back to the cell.

Logan: “It tickled.”

Logan and Creed are seen escaping, followed by a shot of Logan silhouetted by a huge explosion as he walks towards the camera.

Stryker: “My name is Major William Stryker. Tired of denying your true nature?”

Creed: “What do you care?”

Stryker: “Oh I care. I care because I know how valuable you are. I’m putting together a special team. With special privileges. So tell me, how would you like to really serve your country?”

As this is said a variety of images flash across the screen including Logan with bone claws, an acrobatic Taylor Kitsch as Gambit with his staff glowing at both ends, Silverfox, The Blob and a very brief shot of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool – although he looked more like a normal Ryan Reynolds in a red t-shirt than the masked/scarred Deadpool of the comics.

Cut to: Images of the adamantium injection tank from X2.

Creed: “We didn’t sign up for this.”

Creed: “Who do you think you are?”

Creed: “This is what we do.”

Stryker: “Become the animal.”

Stryker: “Embrace the other side.”

Cut to: a series of images of Logan undergoing the Weapon X experimentation, being submerged in the tank and having adamantium bonded to his skeleton. We see an x-ray image of the metal going into his skull. His claws pop out – now metal-coated – and he springs from the tank in a classic Weapon X look with the adamantium injection spikes still protruding from his body. He attacks everyone around him.

Unidentified Voice: “We’re making him indestructible.”

Cut to: Logan as a boy, bone claws extended.

From there the action heats up with Wolverine clashing several times with Sabertooth in some impressive action sequences (Creed flies through the air, claws first, in one). There are also more images of The Blob and Gambit.

Logan in a jeep, which explodes, flinging him into the air where he latches onto the front of a helicopter with his claws.

Cut to: a close up of Logan facing off against Sabertooth

Logan: “I’m gonna cut your god damn head off. See if that works”

He pops his claws.

Jackman went on to say that they’ve just wrapped so nothing’s finished yet but he did say that fans can expect a large amount of “berserker rage” from the film and thanked geeks everywhere, without whom he “wouldn’t have a career.” He also singled out Wolverine creator Len Wein (who happened to be sitting next to Empire) for a very special thanks.

Now, whatever misgivings fans may hold over the film, there’s no denying they saw an impressive sequence, and if the rest of the film is as good as what was shown today then Wolverine may turn out to be a worthy X-sequel after all.

James Dyer

That sounds pretty impressive.

Guest Popsi

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/325/zivejrrn0.jpg

An on-set shot of Liev Shrieber as Sabretooth I found on my travels. I imagine this is from the scenes in the film talked about at Comic Con when Sabretooth and Wolverine were put in front of the firing squad.

• 1 month later...
Guest Al Stevens
:eek I have to see that, it looks amazing. Also hopefully when they decide to do another Xmen (not the origins ones) they will bring in gambit in within the first few seconds of the film

Depending on how successful this will be (and it's pretty much a lock to do well), the plan is to have a few more "Origin" films before commiting to another "X-Team" movie.

'Magneto' is already in pre-production, but there are plenty of other characters the studio feels warrant a stand-alone film first.

Guest Al Stevens
Depending on how successful this will be (and it's pretty much a lock to do well), the plan is to have a few more "Origin" films before commiting to another "X-Team" movie.

'Magneto' is already in pre-production, but there are plenty of other characters the studio feels warrant a stand-alone film first.

Oh that's cool also exploring a few more of the X men is a good idea. Either way I am not going to complain :)

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
That vid just made me drool on myself! it looks a brilliant film what I really have to see, I am really looking forwards to some of the other X-Men Origin movies too