Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight News

Guest bigmatt

Guest bigmatt

As most other forums have one of these I thought this could be used for bits of fight news,that don't seem to fit anywhere.

I'll kick it off with this:

Amir Khan's new trainer will be announced at a press conference on Thursday.

The 21-year-old has parted company with Salford-based Oliver Harrison after winning all his 17 professional fights since turning pro in 2005.

The Commonwealth lightweight champion looks set to team up with a higher-profile trainer in Britain or the United States as he presses for a world title bid.

Khan's promoter Frank Warren will hold a press conference in London on Thursday where it is expected he will announce the Bolton fighter's new coach.

A Sports Network spokesman said: "We're looking to announce the new trainer on Thursday.

"Frank has been speaking to Amir about it. There were a few trainers in the frame - a couple of British trainers and a few Americans."

In contention

Several names reportedly in contention for the position are Americans Buddy McGirt, Freddie Roach and Roger Mayweather.

McGirt, a former trainer of the year, already works with former British light-middleweight title challenger Matthew Macklin and Liverpudlian prospect Paul Smith and has previously trained world champions including Arturo Gatti and Antonio Tarver.

Khan spent time in Las Vegas recently with current pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather and his trainer/uncle Roger - which he described as "an amazing experience" - while Roach is also regarded as a top trainer having worked with the likes of Oscar De La Hoya, Manny Pacquiao and Bernard Hopkins.

Khan's next fight will be at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena on June 21 against an as yet unspecified opponent.

Sky Sports

This really interests me as it is quite a big move.I like Oliver Harrison but a big trainer might be good for Amir.Who do you think he should get?Freddie Roach is an interesting name I havent made my mind up though who would be best for Amir.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigmatt
Oliver Harrison has admitted he has been left dismayed to read in the newspapers that he was being dropped as Amir Khan's trainer.

Salford-based Harrison had overseen Khan move to the professional ranks and guided him to victory in all 17 of his fights, picking up the Commonwealth title along the way.

However it was announced on Tuesday that Khan would be splitting from Harrison to work with a big-name American trainer.

But Harrison has not spoken to the 21-year-old since his last win over Martin Kristjansen at the Bolton Arena on April 5 - and has been forced to follow developments in the papers.

Harrison told The Bolton Evening News: "We were just around the corner from a world title, which we would have won.

"I thought we got on so well on a personal basis as well as professional, but I haven't heard anything from Amir since the Bolton fight. I have just read what has happened in the papers.

Improved

"It just doesn't add up. I don't understand why he has gone to an American trainer. I trained him for all 17 of his fights, which he won with 13 knockdowns. He improved with every fight."

Khan is expected to announce on Thursday who he will be his new trainer, with Buddy McGirt believed to be the favourite to land the role.

And Khan's father Shah admitted he was disappointed that the three-year association with Harrison was coming to an end, however claimed the decision was made prior to the Kristjansen fight.

"Oliver has got Amir to this level and we felt that to get to the next level may take somebody from America," he said.

"But we would have loved for Oliver still to have been involved.

"Amir's amateur coach Mick Jelley is still a big part of Amir's set-up so that goes to show how we look after his former trainers. But we simply have not been able to get in touch with Oliver to discuss this.

"The only alternative we were left with was to put everything in writing. It was not the best way but it was the only way that remained open to us. We have a fight coming up on June 21, and we had to make decisions."

Sky Sports

Guest Frank Botch
Amir Khan will be trained by Dean Powell for his next fight.

The unbeaten 21-year-old confirmed he has split with Oliver Harrison, the trainer for all of his previous 17 professional contests.

A breakdown in communications" was the reason for the decision to part company with Harrison, revealed Khan's father Shah.

Powell, who has trained former world champions Duke McKenzie and Lloyd Honeyghan, will work with Khan until his next fight at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena on June 21.

Promoter Frank Warren is hoping to announce the opponent for the Birmingham fight next week.

A decision on a permanent trainer will be taken afterwards, with Khan possibly looking to America.

Sky Sports.Seems strange to get rid of a trainer without a permanent replacement in mind.

Guest bigmatt
Sky Sports.Seems strange to get rid of a trainer without a permanent replacement in mind.

Yes but I think there might be more to this breakdown in communications which could explain it.

Guest Frank Botch
You're probably right.Harrison dosen't seem to have a clue as to why he was axed though. But I suppose he wouldn't tell us if he knew anyway.From what I've read the favourite for the post seems to be Buddy McGirt.

Guest bigmatt
You're probably right.Harrison dosen't seem to have a clue as to why he was axed though. But I suppose he wouldn't tell us if he knew anyway.From what I've read the favourite for the post seems to be Buddy McGirt.

Yeah I've read exactly the same on both points.There has to be more to it as the whole thing is very strange,its a shame for Harrison as he has done a good job,but it might be the right thing for Amir.I ts really strange I understand both side but there is plenty that hasn't been said.

Guest bigmatt
Rendall Munroe made a successful first defence of his European Super-Bantamweight title with a seven-round stoppage of France's Salem Bouaita.

Leicester binman Munroe won the title just eight weeks ago but was back in action at Harvey Hadden Leisure Centre in Nottingham against the veteran number one challenger.

Munroe, 27, took his record to 15 wins from 16 fights with an all-action display that eventualy overwhelmed the 33-year-old.

He landed plenty of punches as he pressurised Bouaita throughout and hurt his opponent with a jolting left at the end of the sixth.

Bouaita's corner cited an injured arm as the reason for his failure to appear at the start of the eighth round, although Munroe was well on top and looked to be heading towards a comprehensive victory.

"It was tough - I think he just came for the payday - all he kept on doing was holding me all the time," Munroe told Sky Sports. "What could I do? I just kept pushing forward.

"He just came here to try and survive but I was too strong for him."

Napa

Earlier in the evening, Hackney's Ian 'Dapper' Napa made a third successful defence of his British Bantamweight title within seven months.

The 30-year-old - Britain's smallest professional fighter at 5ft 1in tall - earned an overwhelming points verdict over Belfast's Colin Moffett.

The victory gives Napa a Lonsdale belt outright.

Moffett, 33, went to toe-to-toe with Napa for 12 gruelling rounds but could not match the champion for slickness or class.

Moffett shipped a right hand at the end of the 11th round and although he appeared to slip, veteran referee Micky Vann administered a standing count.

Napa won 119-109, 117-111 and 119-108 on the judges' scorecards to take his record to 17 wins from 23 fights.

Sky Sports

Guest bigmatt
Maccarinelli set for June return

Enzo Maccarinelli hopes to regain a world cruiserweight title

Enzo Maccarinelli is set to make his return to the ring on 28 June, BBC Sport Wales understands.

The Welshman suffered a major career setback in March when he lost his WBO cruiserweight crown to David Haye.

An opponent and venue has yet to be confirmed, but fellow Welshman and former world champion Gavin Rees is in line to face Amir Khan in September.

Rees, 27, lost the first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title to Andreas Kotelnik in Cardiff in March.

But he is on a shortlist to take on Olympic silver medalist Khan, 21, for the Bolton man's Commonwealth lightweight title.

An official announcement of Khan's opponent is expected on Tuesday.

606: DEBATE

Could Rees upset the odds against Khan?

Former British super-featherweight champion Michael Gomez and Scotland's Ricky Burns are also thought to be in contention to meet the Olympic star.

Rees's fellow Enzo Calzaghe-trained stable-mate Bradley Pryce will defend his Commonwealth light-middleweight title in the chief support bout in Birmingham.

Khan had targeted a showdown with Rees before the Newbridge man's loss to Kotelnik - the only blot on his 28-fight career - as he said he was eager to claim the WBA crown.

Khan has won all 17 of his fights, with 13 knock-outs, and would tower seven inches above the 5ft 3ins Rees.

But the Welshman has upset the odds before, his defeat of Souleymane M'Baye for the WBA title in July 2007 stunning the boxing world.

BBC NEWS

Hopefully a sucessful straight forward comeback for Enzo.

I would love to see Khan v Rees.Khan's the more talented fighter but Gavin Rees is secure in his game and along with the senior Calzaghe usually has the tactics spot on.Saying that though I would expect an Amir win.

Guest bigmatt
Oscar De La Hoya dominated Steve Forbes to win a unanimous decision in a 12-round non-title bout at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles.

In his first bout in nearly a year, the 35-year-old outclassed his opponent, winning decisively on the judges' scorecards - 119-109, 119-109 and 120-108 - to improve his record to 39-5 with 30 knockouts.

The 31-year-old Forbes (33-6, 9 KOs) never seriously challenged or hurt De La Hoya during the bout.

De La Hoya is now set to face Floyd Mayweather Jr on September 20 in a rematch of their bout last May, which was won by Mayweather on a split decision.

The bout - set at catchweight of 150 lbs - was billed as a homecoming for LA native De La Hoya, and a crowd of around 27,000 turned up at the home of the LA Galaxy to cheer him on.

But it was the naturally smaller and quicker Forbes who started fast, producing some slick combinations in the opening rounds.

Once De La Hoya got into gear though the result was never really in doubt.

The 'Golden Boy' established a stiff left jab that proved the key to his domination, and mixed in some good body shots and uppercuts.

He did manage to open a cut over the right eye of Forbes, but never really looked like stopping the former 'Contender' star.

Afterwards De La Hoya said: "That's the way Stevie Forbes fights. I was hoping I would stop him or knock him out, but since nobody else has I knew he was going to be a tough customer.

"I'm a little disappointed because I worked hard in the gym, but it just shows you he's not the 2lbs Steve Forbes but the 800lbs Steve Forbes.

"The idea was to fight by standing more straight up, using the jab and being aggressive at the same time. After 12 hard rounds I feel sharp after a year's lay-off.

"It accomplished my goal of the first of three and I'm ready to have two big exciting fights in September and December."

De La Hoya said the deal with Mayweather is not signed yet, but added: "I'm going to go after him because I know I can beat him."

Sky Sports

Guest Jack

Did you catch the DLH fight, mate? I thought it was a pretty good performance from him. Good workrate, nice combinations and his defence was really good too. I'm not going to pick him over Mayweather on this performance, but it was a good warm-up fight. If he had had this bout prior to the Mayweather fight, maybe the result would have been different.

A good undercard too. Nice to see Ortiz pick up another knockout win. I like this kid.

Guest bigmatt
Did you catch the DLH fight, mate? I thought it was a pretty good performance from him. Good workrate, nice combinations and his defence was really good too. I'm not going to pick him over Mayweather on this performance, but it was a good warm-up fight. If he had had this bout prior to the Mayweather fight, maybe the result would have been different.

A good undercard too. Nice to see Ortiz pick up another knockout win. I like this kid.

Yeah I did mate,I was very impressed I have to admit.He came in looking good.He fought at a good pace and took Forbes seriously.I liked the amount of respect he showed Forbes by boxing a straight fight and looking compact.He really showed off his class and I want to see the return match more now than ever.Its something that DLH has failed to do before showing that much professionalism and it was a good fight to watch.His jabs and footwork were great.

I havent seen the undercard yet will give it a watch tonight or tomorrow,I am looking forward to the Ortiz fight I havent seen too many of his fights but the ones I have he was devastating such as Maussa.Hes a strong kid and a hard hitter as well I expect quite a bit from Vicious Victor.

Guest bigmatt
Carl Froch will step up his bid for a world title showdown with Joe Calzaghe by taking on Rubin Williams at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham on Saturday.

Froch had been due to face Denis Inkin in an eliminator to become the mandatory challenger for the WBC's super-middleweight title.

However with Inkin pulling out of the contest for the second time, the WBC has made Froch their No.1 contender for the belt currently held by Calzaghe.

And Froch will look to close in on a fight with Calzaghe - should he return to the 12st division following his victory over Bernard Hopkins at light-heavyweight - by beating Williams.

Froch had seemed set to fight Alejandro Berrio on the bill at Nottingham - which will also feature WBC light-welterweight champion Junior Witter's third world title defence against Timothy Bradley - but the Colombian also pulled out.

Promoter Mick Hennessy said: "Williams has stepped up to the plate so fair play to him. Others like Alejandro Berrio didn't after his team verbally agreeing to fight Carl 10 days ago.

"After Denis Inkin pulled out twice, and then Team Berrio changing their minds, Carl is obviously the one everyone wants to avoid now in the super-middleweight division. But Carl will fight for the prestigious WBC title in the fight after this one, so he can't afford any mishaps."

Credit

Although Froch is full of praise for Williams stepping in at late notice, he is determined to put on a show to reinforce his standing in the ranks.

He said: "Williams is a tall, rangy box puncher so he will be a good test for me, he has been very active this year and has already fought against two world-class fighters that's why he is ready to fight me right now.

"Williams deserves a lot of credit. He's obviously prepared to fight anyone, he has a true fighters' heart, unfortunately I can't say the same for Inkin or Berrio.

"I've heard all of Inkin's excuses, viruses, bad back, etc; I don't buy it for a second. After doing this a second time to me the man's got no honour he is a coward, he does not deserve to share a ring with me.

"I am disappointed with Team Inkin for allowing this to happen. I could compile a list of things that have gone wrong with me in the lead up to both of these fights, from viruses to injuries to everyday niggles, but as fighters we would never fight if we took Team Inkin's attitude.

"Berrio was just as bad by mucking us about, one minute saying he was in and the next saying he was out.

"It doesn't matter who is in the corner though, I will still win in style and show everyone why Joe Calzaghe is avoiding me."

Sky Sports

Guest bigmatt
WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev has been forced to pull out of his re-match against Nikolai Valuev due to illness.

The duo had been due to go toe-to-toe for a second time on May 31 in Oberhausen.

However a virus has ruled Chagaev, who won the first meeting via a majority decision, out of action. No new date has been set for the bout.

"Ruslan Chagaev is weakened at the moment by a badly treated virus and has to definitely interrupt his training in order to be cured once and for all," Michael Ehnert, Chagaev's doctor, said.

Valuev has fought his way back to become the number one contender for the belt, winning his last two since the defeat to his rival from Uzbekistan.

Since being crowned champion in April 2007 the unbeaten Chagaev has defended the WBA title just once due to health problems.

He recorded a unanimous points decision over Britain's Matt Skelton in Dusseldorf in January of this year.

Former world title challenger Rubin Williams inisists he "will not be making up the numbers" when he faces Carl Froch at the Nottingham Arena on Saturday night.

The 32-year-old American is determined to make the most of his late chance to return to the top level after stepping in to face Froch after initial opponent Denis Inkin withdrew for a second time due to injury, then Colombian fighter Alejandro Berrio reneged on an earlier commitment to fight.

Williams, who has won 29 of his 34 fights but lost his last two, was stopped in round seven of an IBF title challenge against the then unbeaten Florida puncher Jeff Lacy in 2005.

Williams said: "I am definitely not coming here to make up the numbers. I am coming here to knock out Carl Froch and take my place where I belong back at the top of the rankings.

"I respect what Carl has achieved but he hasn't fought anybody like me. I was delighted when I was given the opportunity because I was fit and in shape and I am ready to make the most of it."

Up for it

Promoter Mick Hennessy insists he is delighted with the deal, despite Williams' record being considerably inferior to that of Inkin or Berrio.

"For whatever reason Inkin and Berrio both pulled out but we are delighted to have persuaded someone of the quality of Williams to step in," said Hennessy.

"It says a lot that he took the fight and it proves he is up for it."

Froch and Williams will square off in a packed out Nottingham Arena in what is billed as a final eliminator for a shot at the WBC super-middleweight title held by Joe Calzaghe

Sky Sports

Guest bigmatt
Junior Witter hopes to go one better than Joe Calzaghe by winning in style when he defends his WBC light-welterweight title against unbeaten American Timothy Bradley in Nottingham on Saturday.

It was a below-par Calzaghe who scraped a split decision when he fought Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas last month, and while the Welshman managed to leave Nevada with both his unbeaten record and reputation intact, Witter knows he must produce a performance as well as gain a result.

The Bradford man's switch-hitting style has hardly endeared him to fight fans and also been a factor in Ricky Hatton's decision to, so far at least, avoid a contest.

However, a fine win over Bradley this weekend would crank up the calls for a super-fight between Witter and his chief domestic rival.

Witter said: "I look at what Joe did against Hopkins and he did enough to win but he didn't shine. I've got to go out there and win, but I've also got to go out there and shine."

Tough test

Witter undoubtedly faces a tough test against Bradley but is looking to deliver after his scheduled contest against Demetrius Hopkins, due to be held Stateside last month, was cancelled when his opponent withdrew.

"It's worked out very well," Witter added. "The cancellation was a pain but it's turned out better for me. I'm back in sooner rather than later and it's against a more dangerous opponent.

"Bradley has a great record and he's a decent puncher. He's very confident, he thinks he's going to be a legend and he's coming to win. That's just the sort of test I want at this stage in my career."

Also on the card, local hero Carl Froch bids to move closer to a shot at the WBC super-middleweight title when he faces another replacement American, Rubin Williams.

But John Murray's English lightweight title fight against John Fewkes has been called off as the unbeaten Sheffield fighter is suffering from a stomach ailment.

Rubin Williams has pulled out of his super-middleweight bout with Carl Froch at the Nottingham Arena on Saturday.

Veteran American Williams was unable to leave the United States due to personal problems.

Froch will now face Poland's Albert Ryacki - who is unbeaten in 15 professional fights - instead.

The news will come as more frustration for Froch, who was originally to have taken on Denis Inkin in an eliminator for a shot at the WBC's 12-stone title.

But the Russian withdrew for a second time due to injury and Colombian Alejandro Berrio also turned down the opportunity, leaving promoter Mick Hennessy with little time to come up with a replacement.

Froch said: "It's always difficult to fight an unbeaten fighter as he doesn't know how to lose and obviously he will put everything on line as he could gatecrash the world title but I am in prime condition and looking forward to fighting on Saturday night."

Sky Sports

Sam-Skelton Update!

Friday, May 9 2008

The European heavyweight title fight between Sinan Samil Sam and Matt Skelton, originally scheduled for May 30th in Istanbul, will now most probably take place on July 4th in the same city. Fighters scheduled for the May 30 Arena Box-Promotion undercard have been shifted to a May 30 event in Bilbao, Spain, in cooperation with local promoter Arturo Moral (Stock Eventos). Appearing on the Bilbao card will be light welterweight Sergej Sorokin, middleweight prospect Mahir Oral, Olympic gold medallist Odlanier Solis and the already announced bout between Konstantin Airich and "Brixton Bomber" Danny Williams.

http://www.fightnews.com

Edited by bigmatt

Guest Frank Botch

Some UFC news ( if you just want boxing in here let me know)

Chris Leben was sentenced Thursday to 35 days in jail, Clackamas County Circuit Court officials in Oregon confirmed to Sherdog.com.

The UFC middleweight turned himself in to authorities last week after violating the terms of his probation stemming from a DUI arrest in 2005.

Although Leben was given credit Thursday for time served, the Clackamas County sheriff's office said he will not be released until May 27 at 9 a.m. -- less than two weeks before the June 7 UFC card in London. Leben had been scheduled to fight Michael Bisping at the event, but according to the Wrestling Observer, the UFC has cancelled the fight.

After news spread last week that Leben was in jail, Icon promoter T.Jay Thompson explained that the fighter had turned himself in and was hoping to ease the process of securing a visa that would allow him to travel to London for his fight.

"When Chris moved to Hawaii, he was in the process of completing classes for his probation on an old DUI in Portland, Oregon," Thompson wrote in a message posted on mixedmartialarts.com. "We worked hard to get his probation transferred to Hawaii but were unsuccessful. When he got the call to fight Bisping on June 7th in London, he knew what he had to do."

Source: Sherdog

Guest bigmatt
Some UFC news ( if you just want boxing in here let me know)

I set it up for all fight news so its cool with me mate.

Guest Frank Botch
Jason Day will fight Michael Bisping on June 7 in London, the Canadian middleweight told Sherdog.com Friday.

Chris Leben had been scheduled to face Bisping. However, Leben was sentenced Thursday to 35 days in jail.

Last week Leben turned himself in to authorities after violating the terms of his probation stemming from a DUI arrest in 2005. He was given credit Thursday for time served and his probation was revoked, but he will not be released until May 27 -- less than two weeks before UFC 85.

Source: Sherdog

Guest bigmatt

Vitali Klitchko return:

WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter will take on former title holder Vitali Klitschko later this year, according to reports.

The fight is said to have been slated for October, providing Peter comes through a mid-summer defence against an as-yet unnamed opponent.

The 'Nigerian Nightmare' would have an unblemished record had he not lost on points to Klitschko's brother Wladimir in 2005, since when he has won six times.

Peter is hoping to unify the belts with a rematch against Wladimir in 2009 - the younger Klitschko currently in possession of the IBF and WBO titles.

Vitali Klitschko has been out of the game since making the first and only defence of his WBC title against Britain's Danny Williams, after which he suffered a series of injuries.

However, despite currently running for Mayor of Kiev, the 36-year-old still has his heart set on a comeback although another back injury caused him to pull out of a return before Christmas.

Sky sports

What do you think of this?

Paul Truscott produced a stunning performance to beat Osumanu Akaba on points and claim the vacant Commonwealth featherweight title.

The local boy delighted the raucous home crowd in Middlesbrough by claiming the belt after 12 tough rounds of boxing.

Fighting for only the 11th time as a professional, Truscott caused an upset by taking a unanimous verdict on the judges' scorecards.

What makes the victory even more impressive is the fact that the 22-year-old had never before been beyond eight rounds in his career.

Emotional

"All the knockdowns I've had since I was a kid, I've proved them wrong there," an emotional Truscott said to Sky Sports.

"I didn't think I lost a round, maybe some of them were close but I didn't think I lost one of them.

"A lot of his shots were hitting my gloves and not getting through. He didn't hit that hard either, people said he was a 'banger' but he wasn't.

"I was learning round-by-round. Now I've done 12 rounds and I've proved I have got a chin."

Although the verdicts gave it 116-112 twice and 115-113 in Truscott's favour, it was a close call throughout.

Power

Akaba showed at times some of the power he possesses, although he seemed to struggle with the pace - no surprise, considering he had boxed just five rounds since September 2005.

The Golden Boy from Ghana came out with some wild shots at the start of the fourth, causing blood to stream from his opponent's nose.

However, to his credit Truscott overcame the early onslaught and landed plenty of telling punches on the counter.

Roared on by his loyal supporters, the hometown hero produced a rousing finish in the last as both men almost fought themselves to a standstill in front of the Sky cameras.

In the end it was Truscott who had done enough to get the nod from the judges, a fine result not just for the fighter but also for a region that is in desperate need of a champion after some lean times in the ring.

Nice addition to British Boxing.I've never seen this Kid.

Edited by bigmatt

Guest bigmatt
Junior Witter lost his WBC light-welterweight title on a split decision to Timothy Bradley at the Nottingham Arena on Saturday evening.

Witter was down in the sixth and struggled to impose himself on the more aggressive Bradley, for whom victory extended his unbeaten record to 22 contests.

The eventual outcome had looked unlikely when Witter started strongly, landing with a sweetly timed right hand while dominating the opening round.

But Bradley's tactic of following in behind his powerful right hand began to pay off as the fight entered its middle rounds.

Knockdown

The 24-year-old Californian, who was fighting outside his home state for the first time, got his reward in the sixth with an overhand right that looped over Witter's guard and landed cleanly to send him to the canvas.

Witter comfortably beat the count but spent the remainder of the round backpedalling before the bell came to his rescue.

Despite heavy swelling and a steady trickle of blood emerging from under his right eye, the Bradford fighter regrouped during the seventh and came back impressively to edge the eighth, during which Bradley was warned for illegal use of the head.

The fight remained even heading into the final stages with both men looking to sway the judges with a strong finish.

Neither managed it as the closing rounds were also close affairs, Bradley impressing in the 11th before Witter found new life in the last.

The judges were left to determine the winner and gave it to Bradley on a split decision by margins of 115-113 and 114-113, while the other scorecard had Witter by 115-112.

The defeat is Witter's first for almost eight years and - at the age of 34 - leaves him to contemplate if he has a future in the ring, especially as hopes of a lucrative domestic super fight with Ricky Hatton now appear as distant as ever.

Sloppy

"I'm gutted, I can't believe it," Witter told ITV 1 afterwards.

"I thought I'd done enough to win. I know I had the knockdown but I thought I worked hard enough in the rest of the fight to win comfortably.

"I don't think you saw the best of me tonight. Timothy Bradley came out and fought and took some good shots. He caught me with a hell of a shot.

"But I was just a bit sloppy. It was a perfect shot. He'd been trying it all night, I knew he was going for it. But I won rounds before it. I won rounds after that.

"I'm still going to carry on, no way am I retiring after that. There's a lot more in the tank. There are better nights for me to come and Junior Witter will be back. As a world champion."

Junior Witter has vowed to carry on boxing despite his light-welterweight title defeat to American Timothy Bradley at the Nottingham Arena on Saturday night.

Witter's points defeat to Bradley ended any faint hopes the 34-year-old had of securing a domestic super-fight with Ricky Hatton.

Despite the setback, 'The Hitter' insists he has no qualms about the hard road ahead which will include a mandatory shot at the European title contested between Giuseppe Lauri and Londoner Colin Lynes in Turin next week.

Witter said: "There is no way I am retiring after that. I will go for the European title and come back that way.

"I have no doubts I will get back to the top and reclaim my title."

Damning review

The split decision defeat was hard for Witter to take, but the decisive moment came in the sixth round when Bradley caught the Bradford-born boxer off guard and he was forced onto the canvas.

The victory extended Bradley's unbeaten record to 22 fights, and Witter's trainer Brendan Ingle gave a damning review in the aftermath of the fight by claiming his fighter produced his worst display to date.

"That was the worst I've seen from Junior tonight," he said. "He never got going and I would say he was only 50 per cent out there.

"But we won't give up and we'll come back the hard way. If that means fighting for the European title or even the British belt then that's what we'll do. You haven't seen the last of Junior.

"Remember he fought a very good unbeaten fighter, got back up after a heavy knockdown and only lost by a single point. But I cannot dispute the verdict, even though I think I a draw might have been more fair."

Two of the three ringside judges rewarded the American's greater work rate with 115-113, 114-113 decisions with the third adjudging it 115-112 to Witter.

I think he can stop talking about Hatton now,it won't happen.

Guest bigmatt
British super-middleweight champion Carl Froch showed his class as he saw off Albert Rybacki inside four rounds at the Nottingham Arena.

Froch was determined to put on a show for his home-town crowd after he had been left frustrated by several projected opponents pulling out of the fight.

Denis Inkin and Rubin Williams had both previously withdrawn from a scheduled bout with 'The Cobra', and the eventual presence of Rybacki proved little threat as the 30-year-old powered his way to victory.

Froch has now turned his focus to a showdown with undefeated WBO & IBF super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe, however many doubt whether the fight will ever come to fruition.

Dominant

It was only 37-year-old Rybacki's third fight since December 2004 and he offered little in the early stages as two Froch left hands made sweet connection. A left hook to the body saw Froch end the first round strongly, although he was dominant throughout.

The second round was less eventful until Froch appeared to floor Rybacki only for referee John Keane to rule it a slip.

Rybacki seemed to be coming out of his shell in the third only to be firmly discouraged as Froch hit him twice in the ribs, soon following up with a sustained attack culminating in a brilliant right uppercut.

Froch's timing, range of shots and power were clearly superior against the outclassed Pole who, to his credit, seemed to be soaking up the punishment.

However, as the world title contender continued landing powerful shots at will, referee Keane stepped in and waved it off in the fourth to spare Rybacki further punishment.

Carl Froch has turned up the heat in his quest for a WBC super-middleweight title shot by insisting he doesn't mind who he fights as long as he is granted a shot at the gold.

The Nottingham fighter took out his frustrations on late substitute Albert Rybacki with a one-sided fourth round stoppage at the Nottingham Arena on Saturday night.

Froch was quickly into his stride against the previously unbeaten Pole, who had stepped in at two days notice following the withdrawals of Denis Inkin and Rubin Williams.

Unbeaten run

'The Cobra' dominated the fight from start to finish and gave referee John Keane no option but to stop the fight as he extended his unbeaten run to 23 fights.

Froch said: "It's been a nightmare for me mentally but I've come through it and now I'm in exactly the same position as I would have been, which is the mandatory challenger for the WBC title."

With Joe Calzaghe certain to vacate, Froch could find himself standing toe-to-toe against the likes of former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor or the winner of the imminent clash between Fulgencio Zuniga and Jean Pascal for the vacant crown.

Froch added: "Now it's all about keeping the momentum going because it's been frustrating having to hang around for six months. I don't care who I fight as long as I get my shot at the world title."

Sky Sports