Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight News

Guest bigmatt

Guest MastersGonads

Am I the only one getting a tad tired of David Haye? There is part of me hoping the one of the Klitschko brothers knocks him the f**k out..

And what happened with Kevin Mitchell? Back in 2005 he was predicted to be the next big thing, but seems to have disappeared of late

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but here goes.

Although rock band Limp Bizkit was originally scheduled to perform at UFC 100 in the Mandalay Bay Events Center, it appears that Zuffa will be replacing their segment with a timely tribute to the ‘King of Pop’ – Michael Jackson who has recently passed away at the age of 50.

Jackson was known to be an avid mixed martial arts fan who secretly attended many UFC events. He was seen last seen at UFC 84 in May of 2008 concealing his identity to avoid gernering media attention, the president of the UFC Dana White praised Jackson for attending past UFC events and for his continuous support for mixed martial arts ;

I know Michael attended live UFC events a few times in the past. You know we lost a great ambassador for the sport and he truly help the sport grow, so offering a tribute is the least we can do.

White then announced a special post fight ceremony to be held where Michael Jackson will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame.

I know the hall of fame is more for the fighters, but Michael helped the sport grow so I think we can make an exception in this one instance.

Many fighters under the UFC banner were influenced by Jacksons music including current UFC Middleweight champion who himself expressed his interest in taking part in the tribute:

I first heard his music when I was very young. He touched me very much back then, I would love to perform ‘Thriller’ in honour of my idol. He [Jackson] deserves a good send off and I am happy that [the] UFC is paying their tribute to a legend.

Others influenced by Micheal Jackson included former Welterweight champion Matt Hughes,

“I know people think of me as just a country music fan, but his [Jackson's] music transcended all social bounds. I would have to say my favourite song of his was ‘Dirty Diana’. I can remember days when I didn’t feel like training and I used to put that song on and it would get me fired up.”

This thing has just gotten a little bit too far now.

Guest Dusty Finish
Hey, anything that keeps the woeful Limp Wristed from assaulting my ears and eyes is A-Okay with me, even if the reasoning behind it is.... well, a little silly.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Meltzer said that Limp Bizkit were out because they argued with UFC about the venue and stuff. So this is only a kayfabe reason.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dusty Finish
There are unconfirmed rumours doing the rounds that Kimo Leopoldo has died of a heart attack :( .

Guest Diablo
21/07/09 - Kimo Leopoldo is not dead

Rumours of the death of early UFC star Kimo Leopoldo are completely unfounded, it has been established.

A notorious troll posting on The Underground forum at MMA.tv earlier today managed to fool many MMA media outlets and even roped in mainstream sites such as TMZ with a post about Kimo having died of a heart attack in Costa Rica last night.

Despite a simple Google check revealing that the BJJ instructor source cited in the post does not exist, multiple sites were happy to run with it and found themselves citing each other as the rumour became self-perpetuating.

Yahoo! Sports writer Kevin Iole has posted a Twitter item stating that he had “just spoke to Kimo's publicist. He was NOT in Costa Rica last night. Was in Orange County and alive at 11.

The publicist added that "No one has heard from him today" but that does not lend any truth to the rumour, which cleary stated Kimo was in Costa Rica yesterday.

Source

It appears the main event of Affliction “Trilogy” will not survive its original incarnation.

According to a report on Sherdog.com and multiple sources MMAWeekly.com spoke with Tuesday night, the Aug. 1 card’s headlining bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett will be scrapped just days before it was scheduled to grace the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Sherdog.com report cited multiple sources that said the California State Athletic Commission would not license Barnett due to a “positive test result,” presumably on the athlete’s pre-fight medical paperwork.

Barnett initially said he was unaware of the denial, but later added, “no matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Barnett’s manager, Shannon Hooper, did not respond to messages requesting comment on the situation.

LINK

just found that over on the forums for MMATycoon.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
According to a recent Twitter entry by UFC president Dana White, "The Hungtington Beach Bad Boy" is back in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

White simply "tweeted": "Welcome back Tito" on his Twitter page.

So it seems to be official. It has been rumored for a while that Ortiz was headed back to fight in the UFC.

Credit: Wrestlezone.com

Guest Dusty Finish
Word is that Franklin - Henderson II is being reconsidered already. If this is true, what are the odds that Franklin - Ortiz is announced as the new main event of 103?

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
With there not really being much in way of compertition outside UFC now I think Fedor may take the plunge and do a fight or two for them

Meltzer sez that the announcement at the moment is to announce a partnership with ESPN Radio, but that's more than likely a smokescreen for something bigger.

The Sobral/Mousasi match from Trilogy has been snapped up by Strikeforce for their August 15th show, with Sobral's Light Heavyweight title on the line. Me happy.

Guest Dusty Finish

Obviously, everyone (myself included) wants to see the Fedor in the UFC thing finally happen, but- and I hope I'm wrong- I just can't see it.

The guy is contracted to 3 more fights with M-1. M-1 don't really appear to have any tangible assets past Fedor Emilianenko, and have made it abundantly clear that the only way Fedor in the Octagon happens is through co-promotion. Dana won't co-promote with anyone, for a couple of reasons: he sent Chuck & Vitor over to PRIDE in good faith 5 years ago, and got diddly squat in return. The UFC really has no need to co-promote with anyone at this stage- for all intents & purposes, they are MMA in the mind's eye of the masses. Most importantly....

... what's in it for Dana & Lorenzo? Not a fat lot, would be the succinct answer. Any such deal would benefit M-1 as it gets their name out to an audience previously unfathomable to them. Ludicrous as it may seem to some so-called MMA puritans, but Brock Lesnar is in a different stratsophere to Fedor in as far as being a bankable commodity in the western world in 2009. Lesnar vs Nogueira or Carwin would draw easily as much as Fedor vs Lesnar, and at much less cost (literally & figuratvely) to Zuffa.

I hope to eat these words some day soon.

Wel, there is one loophole that was being explored. Fedor had a 3 fight deal with Affliction, he fought twice, UFC have picked up fighters contracts...

fedors camp have claimed that the cancelled third fight counts, but we I dont know how watertight that is.