Martial Arts

Random Fight News

Guest bigmatt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dusty Finish
Apparently Cro Cop is fighting at UFC 99.

Yup, against Mustapha Al-Turk, although it's not 100% official. I have mixed feelings about this- on one hand, he was one of my favourite fighters 3 years ago, so I'd like to see him regain a bit of a dignity and aura before he retires (Al-Turk is a thoroughly beatable first opponent back for him). On the other, it's a bit too soon after his surgery for my liking, plus with the new breed of UFC heavyweight in Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez and Dos Santos, his time at the summit of the division has surely long since passed.

Elsewhere, BJ Penn is spouting off that he'd happily never fight in Nevada again. Jesus, just let it go, BJ- you were trounced. I'm as big a "Prodigy" fan as the next guy, but it's getting to the point where I'm hoping KenFlo knocks him off his 155lb perch.

Wonder how tickets are selling for UFC 99, Cro Cop is a massive draw in Europe and Al-Turk may get a few followers as well.

I remember back at UFC 70 in Manchester the place was full of Croatia football shirts. Adding him to the 99 card will surely boost ticket sale massively.

6000 Tickets have been sold so far.

Hypocritical politicians and boxing "experts" are calling to forbid MMA before they perform in Colonge. They've just slapped the over 18 stamp on it because apparently it's too brutal...

A load of bollocks if you ask me, they should take a glimpse of the rules and also take note that no one has died in the octagon. There has even been more death cases in boxing, these so called experts are just afraid that since boxing isn't that that it was, they want to stop the MMA craze.

If MMA or UFC in this matter is over 18, then every other sport should be too.

A load of bollocks if you ask me, they should take a glimpse of the rules and also take note that no one has died in the octagon. There has even been more death cases in boxing, these so called experts are just afraid that since boxing isn't that that it was, they want to stop the MMA craze.
Considering there hasn't been any in the UFC, that isn't exactly a wild claim to make. There has been more deaths in jogging, F1 and football if you want to expand it. On another note, boxing did have over 100yrs of a head start to build a bodycount. ;)

I do agree, however, that banning UFC is silly and so 1990s.

Saw a recent interview with Dana White where he talked about a promo trip he did to Germany recently, he was amazed in how far behind they are in their thinking. Probably about 10 years behind the US.

I'm not 100% sure on the state of boxing in the Germany. But i get the distinct impression that the world of MMA is winning over the boxing ferternity in the UK, the likes of Maccarinelli and Hatton have been seen at UFC shows, Steve Bunce did a great piece for Inside Sport a few years back where he talked up the world of MMA. Frank Warren has made his unfavorable views perfectly clear in the past but i get the impression that if he could have his way Boxing bills should only be attended by blokes who smoke cigars and wear dickie bows.

Guest Dusty Finish

Oops. And you were looking good for a shot at the winner of Lesnar vs Mir there, Monsieur Kongo! I think Velasquez is a bad, bad matchup for him.

Strikeforce appear to be lining up a fight between Andrei Arlovski and Brett Rogers. Looking good!

Ha! Thales Leites has accepted a match at UFC 101 against Alessio Sakara, but it will be the first match on the undercard.

Serves him right for that pathetic display against Silva at 97.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dusty Finish

Tom Atencio isn't skint yet..... Affliction III:Trilogy is go, with the expected main event of Fedor vs Josh Barnett, and an interesting clash od Gegard Mousasi vs Renato Sobral on the undercard.

Everyone will slate them, naturally, but they'd all be insane to miss this.

Guest Diablo
"at the end of Summer" according to Marshall Zelaznik. Apparently they're returning to Newcastle, and are also holding shows in Scotland and Ireland.

Guest The GS
"at the end of Summer" according to Marshall Zelaznik. Apparently they're returning to Newcastle, and are also holding shows in Scotland and Ireland.

I hope I have some sort of income sorted by then.. I really wanna see a live show.

Something may be announced next weekend as they have a show in Germany.

I think shows over here may become less frequent with them tapping into untapped areas in America as well as Europe.

Shame as i've had a really good time at the shows i've attended.

Guest Frank Botch

Anyone catch Strikeforce last night? Pretty good event all round I thought. Especially enjoyed the main event and Rogers demolishing Arlovski.

Results

Jake Shields defeats Robbie Lawler via submission (guillotine choke) 2:02 R1

Brett Rogers defeats Andrei Arlovski via KO 0:22 R1

Nick Diaz defeats Scott Smith via submission (Brabo choke) 1:41 R3

Joe Riggs defeats Phil Baroni via unanimous decision (30-27)

Mike Whitehead defeats Kevin Randleman via unanimous decision (29-28)

Holy shit, Jake Shields made Robbie Lawler tap on Strikeforce's latest card.

Shields is a beast.

I know it was last week, I've just had a chance to watch it. Fair play to Strikeforce for these catchweight bouts, but they need to make sure not to use up their ace card matches too soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The GS

I just watched Andy Lee win a "practice fight" on the Klitschko Undercard.

I thought it was a good performance and I don't care what the Sky Sports pundits thought. Of course they're not gonna hype up an Irish fighter.