Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight News

Guest bigmatt

Guest Jung
I think he can stop talking about Hatton now,it won't happen.

Yeah Witter blew it big time and at 34, might not even get another title match let alone Hatton. It seems he was concentrating too much on Hatton and overlooked his opponent, who looked impressive, looking fresh, inspired and dedicated, all which Witter painfully didn't.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigmatt
Yeah Witter blew it big time and at 34, might not even get another title match let alone Hatton. It seems he was concentrating too much on Hatton and overlooked his opponent, who looked impressive, looking fresh, inspired and dedicated, all which Witter painfully didn't.

Yeah I think the Hatton talk was a bit of a front.He badly wanted that payday and was doing everything he could to give the fight some spice to entice Hatton into fighting him.The futures bleak now where can he go from here?

Guest Jung
Yeah I think the Hatton talk was a bit of a front.He badly wanted that payday and was doing everything he could to give the fight some spice to entice Hatton into fighting him.The futures bleak now where can he go from here?

Well Bradley did say in his post-match interview that he'd give Witter a rematch. I'd say thats his only hope if he wants to stay at this level. Otherwise its just a downward spiral.

Guest bigmatt
Well Bradley did say in his post-match interview that he'd give Witter a rematch. I'd say thats his only hope if he wants to stay at this level. Otherwise its just a downward spiral.

Yeah thats true.

Guest bigmatt

This is interesting:

Amir Khan has indicated he could be ready to relocate to America if it proved necessary to secure the services of a world-class trainer.

Khan is considering his options having recently parted company with former trainer Oliver Harrison.

He has employed Dean Powell to see him through his forthcoming fight against Michael Gomez next month, but that is expected to be a temporary appointment.

Big-name American trainers such as Buddy McGirt and even Roger Mayweather have been mentioned as possible contenders to link up with Khan in the longer term, but the Briton could be forced to move Stateside if he wanted to clinch such a partnership.

That, while not his preferred option, is not something that would frighten the Olympic silver medallist who feels a relocation across the Atlantic could benefit his career.

"At the moment I like to be train over here and in an ideal world I'd like an American coach to come over here," he said.

"But if it came down to the fact that I had to go to America, I'd do that.

"I'd like to take that chance. It would be a different atmosphere over there and a different environment to learn in.

"I think it could bring something different out in me. I would look forward to the challenge."

Sky Sports

Guest bigmatt
Scotland's Alex Arthur has been crowned WBO super-featherweight champion after Joan Guzman of the Dominican Republic vacated the belt in order to move up to the lightweight division.

The duo were scheduled to meet in Arthur's home town of Edinburgh at the start of the month, but the bout was delayed as Guzman's camp left it too late to apply for a visa for their fighter.

Arthur was declared 'interim' champion as he waited for the fight to be rearranged, but saw that status upgraded once Guzman opted to test himself in the 135-pound division.

Arthur admitted he was delighted to claim the world title and insisted he was confident of beating Guzman, known as 'The Little Tyson' if the two had met inside the ring as planned.

" I'm delighted with the decision by the WBO to give me full world champion status, but I felt that I won the title when I beat Koba Gogoladze last July," he explained.

" I'm confident that I would have beaten Guzman had the fight been rescheduled but I believe that I am among the elite super-featherweights and want to prove myself as the best out there.

"I'm proud to be Edinburgh's first world champion for 30 years, and am looking forward to making the first defence of my title. My reign now begins!"

Arthur's promoter Frank Warren added; "Britain has lost a few of its world champions over the last few months, but we have got one back with Alex now declared as world champion.

" I believe he will be a long-term world champion. I'm working hard at the moment to deliver a new date and challenger for Alex."

Ricky Hatton says only Floyd Mayweather is likely to get him boxing back in Britain.

The Hitman has revealed that The Homecoming against Juan Lazcano will probably be his last on these shores before he sees out his career back in America.

But having held initial talks with the Pretty Boy about a rematch, Hatton says he would be looking for home advantage if it comes off - at Wembley Stadium.

"As far as fighting in England again, this could be my last fight," he told skysports.com. "But we'll have to wait and see.

Fantastic show

"I would love a rematch with Floyd. It's very easy to say that but first the key is to re-establish myself and get back to winning ways by putting on a fantastic show against Juan Lazcano, to show fight fans and critics that Ricky Hatton has got a lot more to offer.

"Maybe Floyd would like to come over here to England should I get past Lazcano and Malignaggi.

"He's done so much in his career so far, there's not really much more he can do. He's got his fight coming up against Oscar and if he were to beat Oscar, there really isn't anything more he can do.

"Maybe it appeals to Floyd to come and fight outside the United States for the first time and come across to England to fight me. I have no doubt that for Floyd Mayweather, a fight in England could get 100,000 people, probably at Wembley Stadium.

"Floyd is wanting to build his fanbase, his popularity and appeal to the people and I think he would go right up in people's estimations if he came over to fight me in my backyards - like I fought him in his backyard.

"If his profile can go any higher, he would get plenty of fans if he could do that, so it's a possibility, fighting in England."

Mayweather first has to come through another rematch, this time with Oscar de la Hoya who, as Lazcano's promoter, will be flying into Manchester for the fight next week.

Golden Boy Promotions have also signed Hatton on a three-fight deal - after this one - and chief executive Richard Schaeffer admits that Hatton is now big box office in the States.

The Mayweather fight did exceptionally well on pay-per-view and with three more fights to come on HBO, including a likely New York showdown with Paulie Malignaggi, America's gain is likely to be Britain's loss.

Entertained

"The fans know that when Ricky Hatton is going to enter the ring, they're going to get entertained, get their money's worth and have one heck of an exciting fight," Schaeffer told skysports.com.

"The fact is, fight fans might have heard about Ricky, but with the 24/7 shows (screened on HBO and Sky Sports) and then his performance against Floyd, he really has captured the hearts of American fight fans and sports fans period.

"I have no doubt Ricky Hatton today is bigger than he was before and more appreciated and loved over here in the United States and around the world.

"The American fight fans can't wait to see him live on Versus (who are screening the fight in America) and then hopefully in the Fall, back here in the United States.

"That is a testament to Ricky. No other fighter even comes close to selling 55,000 tickets for a fight."

Sky Sports

If Hatton v Mayweather goes ahead in England then I will have to get tickets and it looks like it will be the last time I can see Hatton in England.No guarantee its going to happen though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Frank Botch
World Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik made short work of despatching Welsh challenger Gary Lockett in Atlantic City.

Making his first defence of the WBC and WBO titles, the man from Youngstown, Ohio scored a technical knockout after just one minute and 40 seconds of the third round at Boardwalk Hall.

Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs) knocked down Lockett (30-2) twice in the second round before sending him to the canvas again in the third.

Upon returning to his feet, Lockett watched as his corner threw in the towel, ending the bout before the challenger suffered any more punishment.

After taking a hard right hand to the head midway through the first round, in the second the challenger went down to one knee after receiving another pair of punishing rights to the head.

Rocked

Back on his feet as referee Eddie Cotton's count reached eight, Lockett was rocked with another crushing right hand with 17 seconds remaining in the round, again dropping to one knee but returning to an upright position at the count of eight.

With blood trickling from his nose as well as from under his left eye, Lockett gamely answered the bell for round three but saw his dream of producing an upset win quickly ended.

Lockett said: "I just couldn't see the punches coming. He's a fabulous fighter. Every time he threw punches, it felt like he was making me pay for it."

Pavlik said: "I was catching him with good shots. He was smart to take a knee when I hurt him. I knew each time he took a knee, I had buzzed him."

On the undercard, Britain's Kevin Mitchell made a winning debut Stateside with a fifth round stoppage of Walter Estrada.

The Dagenham super-featherweight floored the Colombian with a body shot and was deemed unable to continue, with Mitchell extending his record to 27-0 with 20 knockouts.

The WBO super-bantamweight match-up between champion Daniel Ponce de Leon and Juan Manuel Lopez was never likely to last long and so it proved.

The knockout artists went at it from the opening bell and it was Lopez who landed the big bombs, sending the Mexican to the canvas with a right hook just two minutes into the fight.

Ponce de Leon crumpled under a flurry of punches soon after and was clearly in no position to continue after failing to make it to his feet.

Lopez moved to 22-0 with 20 stoppages while Ponce de Leon, in his seventh defence slipped to 34-2.

Credit:Sky Sports.

I think nearly everyone expected Pavlik to win but he really looked great last night.So who's next for Pavlik?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest bigmatt

Interesting Q&A with Brock Lesnar.

Q&A with Brock Lesnar

With UFC 86 in the rearview mirror it’s time to look ahead to some of the summer’s other big fights. One of those will be a battle between UFC heavyweights Heath Herring and mixed martial arts newcomer and former professional wrestler Brock Lesnar Aug. 9 at UFC 87 in Minneapolis, Minn. Lesnar, who lives in Minneapolis-St. Paul, will be entering the Octagon for the second time in his career, following a first-round submission loss to former heavyweight champion Frank Mir at UFC 81. Lesnar's UFC 87 matchup with Herring was arranged after his original opponent, Mark Coleman, pulled out of the fight with a knee injury. Lesnar recently took the time to talk to me by phone about his career and his preparation for UFC 87.

MMA Stomping Grounds: Why did you decide to get into mixed martial arts?

Brock Lesnar: Oh man, um ... originally it was the decision to be a part of the NFL because contractually I couldn’t fight in MMA, so I just knew I was done being a pro wrestler for the time being, at least for the company I was working for. (Editor's note: Lesnar played for the Minnesota Vikings for a little over a month during the 2004 preseason, before being released by the team).

MMA Stomping Grounds: How was the transition to MMA?

Lesnar: I’ve enjoyed it. I’m able to train at home and be at home every night. It brings me back to the competitive side of who I am. It’s something I wish I would’ve done a long time ago, but hindsight is 20/20.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What was your biggest concern with joining the UFC?

Lesnar: I didn’t really have any concerns. My biggest concern was, financially, making sure that I wanted to do it.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What was it like making your debut in the UFC on the main stage against a fighter like Mir?

Lesnar: Well, it was an honor. I’m glad the company thinks highly enough of me to put me in a co-main event and it was an exciting first fight for me. It was only 90 seconds long [and] an outcome that I would like to reverse, but I enjoyed it. It takes awhile for people to find exactly who they are, and I think this is definitely me, for sure. We’re all put on this earth for some odd reason and some job title and I think this is what I should be doing.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What do you like the most about mixed martial arts?

Lesnar: This is who I am and it’s a chance for me to live out, competitively, who I am and I enjoy the sport. It’s a growing sport and it's become very big -- and it’s going to get bigger -- and I’m just glad to be a part of it. Life is all about timing, too. I’m glad the timing has worked out for me to be a part of this.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What part of the UFC’s growth excites you the most?

Lesnar: We just signed a merchandising deal with a company to make action figures of myself and other fighters, and [the UFC] is growing in different areas. It’s becoming a legitimate contender to pro wrestling, hockey, basketball, football ... it’s becoming one of those sports. Before long I imagine there will be trading cards and all kinds of merchandise that give fighters another avenue to make money, instead of just fighting.

MMA Stomping Grounds: How would you respond to fans of the sport and fighters lower on the totem pole who believe you got a big push because of your popularity in wrestling?

Lesnar: Tough [expletive deleted], buddy. Get in line. That’s just the way it is. This is a business and it’s a sport, it’s entertainment and it’s all three of those words wrapped into one. [uFC president] Dana White and [co-owners] the Fertitta brothers didn’t buy this company to say, ‘Hey let’s see if we can run this thing into the ground and not make a dime.’ They bought it to make millions and make it what it is, and that’s what they are doing. I’m just trying to have fun and get a little piece of the pie. I really enjoy it. I’m proud and honored to be a part of it. And it’s not like I didn’t pay any dues either. I wrestled amateur when I was 5 years old and put more miles in airplanes and working out. I’m 31 this year and I’ve paid dues. If [other fighters] want to be mad I think they should focus on how they can become a big contributor. They are mad because they aren’t making any money.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What was your reaction when Coleman had to pull out of UFC 87?

Lesnar: After looking at Mark, I respect Mark a lot but it worked out for the better. Mark, I believe, is over the hill and had been out of the league and regardless of the injured knee, I don’t think it would’ve made a difference.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What did you think when they proposed Herring instead?

Lesnar: Heath is a younger guy, he definitely has a lot of experience and he’s a tough SOB. He’s a brawler and brings to the plate a whole variety of things that we’re looking at as a fighter. He’s well rounded with hands, feet and it’s a challenge for me, and I accepted the challenge when Mark pulled out. I’m looking at this fight where I’ve got a lot to gain and he has a lot to lose.

My back is against the wall in this fight too, because I said from the beginning I wanted to fight credible opponents and that’s what Dana is handing me in Frank Mir and Heath Herring.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What do you think about another newcomer to mixed martial arts, Kimbo Slice?

Lesnar: I don’t have a comment on that. It’s not worth commenting on it.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What’s been the toughest part of your transition to mixed martial arts?

Lesnar: Well there’s one thing I’ve got that you can’t take away and that’s a huge wrestling background. Another thing too is I’ve been able to keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open, and my trainers will tell you that. I’m trying to learn and absorb as much of the fight game as I can to be a well-rounded fighter and prepared for anything. I’m just another one of the guys who has his sights on becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.

MMA Stomping Grounds: After seeing the success Cheick Kongo had in taking Herring to the ground, do you think your wrestling will give you an advantage?

Lesnar: I would imagine it would, I hope so. For me, I’ve got to be well prepared on my feet too. I might run into somebody I won’t be able to take down so I’ll have to stand and bang as well. Wrestling has taken kind of to the backburner as I try to brush up with my jiu-jitsu, hands and feet to become well rounded so I will see no surprises when I get into the Octagon.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about you?

Lesnar: I don’t know. I don’t really care.

MMA Stomping Grounds: What’s one thing about you that most people might not know that you think they should?

Lesnar: That I love my family very much.

MMA Stomping Grounds: Are you looking forward to fighting in Minnesota?

Lesnar: Oh, absolutely. Any time I don’t have to get on an airplane and to be in front of my hometown [fans] is great. The state of Minnesota has been great to me and now people that want to come and see this and witness a UFC event don’t have to get on a plane and spend a lot of money. It’s right in the backyard and it’s a good thing for the city and for the state.

The Baltimore Sun

• 3 weeks later...
CREDIT:Sportinglife

Ricky Hatton will head into his world-title clash against Paulie Malignaggi in November without trainer Billy Graham in his corner after confirming their 11-year partnership has come to an end.

Graham has ended months of speculation about his future by announcing he will retire from the sport following one final job in the corner of journeyman Ojay Abrahams in Watford this Friday night.

Hatton's father Ray was quick to pay tribute to Graham, who took the teenage Hatton into his Salford gym and moulded him into one of the finest fighters Britain has ever produced.

Ray Hatton said: "Ricky and Billy had a meeting yesterday in which Billy admitted he was not going any further. It was quite emotional because they have been together for so long.

"It's a sad day. Billy will always be remembered as one of the world's great trainers and to go out after a win in front of 58,000 people in Manchester will be a fitting end to his career.

"But everybody knew Billy had been struggling in recent years with a few health problems and it was becoming increasingly painful for him to train Ricky. We knew the bombshell was coming and it was just a question of when."

Hatton is now likely to be trained by Graham's assistant Lee Beard for his fight against Malignaggi. He will sit down with his team to discuss a permanent replacement in due course.

Some interesting Hatton news.

• 1 month later...

From the Hitmans website

After weeks of speculation since the departure of Billy Graham from Team Hatton, Ray Hatton has just advised me that the following details can be released to all of the fans on Rickys offical website.

As many people are aware Lee Beard has been working with Team Hatton over the past couple of years and has since become Matthew Hattons full time trainer. Ricky has been impressed with Lee's work and will start his training camp in a new location with Lee, that new location will be The Village Hotel in Ashton Moss where a gym has been constructed for Ricky & Team Hatton to use.

In the 1st week of October Floyd Mayweather Senior will come over to the UK to visit Ricky and then instead of Rickys usual 2.5 week american training camp he will fly out to the states 5 weeks prior to the fight to continue his training camp at a Las Vegas gym with Floyd Mayweather Senior & Lee Beard.

2 weeks ago Ricky cut short a vacation in the states to head out to Las Vegas where he met with Floyd to discuss a possible partnership. It was during the car ride that the initial signs looked good, with James Brown playing on radio, Ricky showcased his signing abilities, prompting Floyd to state that Ricky was "The blackest white man he knew".

After spending time with each other and discussing what they would want out of a potential partnership Ricky & Floyd agreed to work with one another for the bout with Malignaggi.

A press release will be put out shortly.

But one things for sure, the Hitman is excited about his future and raring to go!"

• 2 months later...

Bit dissapointed that Pacquiao v De La Hoya will be on SBO

I'd expect a pretty poor buy rate on SBO, even with Khan and Maccarinelli fighting.

Setanta were able to offer Calzage v Jones jr, Haye v Barrett and Couture v Lesnar in the space of a week for the subscription alone.

SBO are asking for £15 to watch the most anticipated fight in the world this year no doubt, and the comebacks of 2 top british guys after defeats. But just 2 weeks after the asked £15 for Hatton v Malignaggi and 2 weeks before Christmas whilst we apparantly suffer a economic downturn.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Redman
Just saw the news that De La Hoya got raped by Pacquiao for 8 rounds before he quit. I know little about boxing, but it shocked me all the same. Anyone watch it?

I contemplated buying it just to see Khan get whupped but he was fed a jobber and managed to win.

And yeah, I was surprised to see De La Hoya lose too, although I like Manny, he's pretty explosive.

Guest MastersGonads

Wow! I did not see that one coming...

Would have pretty much bet my left bollock on DLH having to much power in the end for Pacquiao, but he looked jaded from start to finish, and you have to think, this should be the signal for Oscar to give up the in ring action and stick to Golden Boy Promotions, because on last night's evidence, Hatton under the tutilage of Maywather Snr would have the same outcome as Manny Pacquiao did...

Sad way to end if it is his last...he has been such an inspiration to many...

Guest Frank Botch

The De La Hoya fight drew 1.25 million buys according to HBO,by way of Meltzer.

This is more than Wrestlemania this year right?

Guest Frank Botch

Oh ok thanks.This is just the first estimate so its possible that the buyrate was even bigger.

De La Hoya is still the king of PPV.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...