Fan Clubs | beta

Most Underated & Overrated Musicians

ShaolinHandLock

I thought I might list what I think are the most overrated and underated musicians. My first list will be of solo artists, and my second will be groups. Be Warned: My list will only feature rap artists!

Most Underated (Solo):

Shaquille O'Neal - I seriously don't know why Shaq cops all the bad reviews for his albums. He is actually a pretty darn good rapper, yet most reviews I've read of his albums make him out to be a joke. Anyway, I have Shaq Fu Da Return, and it is a pretty good album, featuring high-profile guest appearances from RZA, Method Man, Redman and more. I certainly don't view Shaq as a joke rapper. I may have only heard one of his albums, but it was pretty good.

John Cena - Like Shaq, Cena is seen as somewhat of a joke rapper, even though his album is pretty good too. I don't know why he uses The Time is Now as his entrance theme, as I thought it was the weakest song on the whole album. John Cena may not be the best rapper ever, but he is pretty good.

Fat Joe - Fat Joe has seemed to lose his fanbase in the last couple of years. After making the good, but not special, All or Nothing album, I thought he might have lost his touch. But with the follow up album Me Myself and I, Fat Joe proves he is a very good rapper, who has far better lyrics than quite a few rappers who are popular today.

Blaze Ya Dead Homie - Blaze seems to be highly ignored all the time, even though he is a great rapper, who has a unique voice. His album Clockwork Gray shows how good Blaze really is.

X-Raided - X-Raided is a very good lyricist, and his album The Unforgiven is one of the best albums I've ever heard. X-Raided is currently in jail for murder, having been locked up just as his debut album Psycho Active was released in 1992, but he continues to record new music in jail.

Most Overrated (Solo):

Jay-Z - I seriously don't know why Jay-Z gets all the attention and good reviews he gets. The album The Blueprint was quite dissappointing to me, despite getting very good reviews. His album Kingdom Come was much better, but Jay-Z is still overrated in his lyrics and his voice. I don't dislike Jay-Z, in fact I like quite a lot of his stuff, but he is still overrated.

Soulja Boy - How did this moron get a record deal?

Most Underrated (Group):

Axe Murder Boyz - The Axe Murder Boyz (or AMB for short) bring high speed raps and are a highly underrated group who don't get the recognition they deserve.

Prime Suspects - The Prime Suspects were signed to Master P's No Limit Records, and in 1998 their debut (and only) album Guilty Til Proven Innocent was released. Since then, they seem to have disappeared, but their album remains one of the most underrated of the No Limit catalouge.

Most Overated (Group):

None!

Feel free to add your own Most Underrated/Overated Musicians. :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

Jay-Z....overrated.....Jay-Z.....overrated.....

Nope, not getting it. But whatevs floats the boat and all that, I guess.

Anywho, Black Thought, and maybe The Roots in general but specifically him, is very underrated. He's one of the best rappers I've ever heard.

The Rolling Stones, also, I find overrated. Never really understood it. I dig The Beatles. I can dig other 'old' music, as it all seems to me. The Stones I just dont get. They're rubbish.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I knew I'd get a response like that. :lol

I am a fan of Jay-Z, but the reason I say he's overrated is because a lot of people seem to think he is one of the best of all time.....which I don't. :)

Which is where you fail :P

Seriously, you've heard Reasonable Doubt et al and you dont think he's up there with the greatest? Who do you think are the greatest then, out of interest?

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Which is where you fail :P

If you say so. :lol

I guess it comes from my disappointmant from the Blueprint album, apart from a few songs, I found it pretty average. Blueprint 2.1 and Kingdom Come on the other hand, I enjoyed much more. Plus I enjoyed the 2 underground freestyles I have. I'd still not rate him one of the best of all time though.

EDIT - I actually haven't heard Reasonable Doubt.....although I've heard quite a few tracks from it, as I have Jay-Z's Greatest Hits CD. As for who I'd class as the greatest.....the list would be too long! :lol

Guest Anime Otaku
Overrated - The beatles

This.

I also kinda agree with Jay-Z being overrated, he's good but IMO he's not the best NYC rapper, I'd place Nas above him, among others.

Underrated: Umm, most of the Japanese bands I like are probably underrated over here by virtue of having limited publicity.

MC Hammer: Most people look at his silly clothes and dismiss him but if you just listen to the "Can't touch this" minus the video he's actually a really good rapper.

Be Warned: My list will only feature rap artists!
So why not just call the thread "SHL's Most Underrated/Overrated Rap Artists"?

As for myself, I'd say that Coldplay are vastly overrated and Paramore are underrated.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer

I guess because he can call it whatever he wants.

I would agree with SHL on Soulja Boy, he is a joke.

Guest Anime Otaku

I just thought of one you might want for your over rated groups SHL: The Beastie Boys. Don't get me wrong they were a great group but the 5 bouroughs album was really pretty poor compared to their other albums. Maybe part of their problem though was that they started off really strong so they didn't really have anywhere to go but down.

Also I'm not sure the likes of De La Soul and A tribe called Quest are as good as some people make out.

Guest ScottyB
As for myself, I'd say that Coldplay are vastly overrated and Paramore are underrated.

I'd agree on Coldplay, but disagree totally on Paramore, not that they're bad, but most people seem to like them.

U2 are overrated.

Overrated:

Slipknot. A few good tracks, but generally just a noise, if you ask me. Not even a good noise.

Lou Reed... just awful. Blah!

Underrated:

THUNDER~~~!!! Seriously, nearly 20 years in the business with little or no media help... the guys are just awesome.

Logan. These guys are gonna be HUGE in the next 2 years.

My most underrated would be The Tragically Hip. They're one of the best band's ever to come out of Canada.

Absolutely brilliant but you don't hear much about them outside our country. Here is one of my fav video's it's a song called Little Bones from they're Road Apples CD. Just in case you've never heard of them before.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I also kinda agree with Jay-Z being overrated, he's good but IMO he's not the best NYC rapper, I'd place Nas above him, among others.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Because then if everyone else decided to add their own, and they were'nt rap, it would make the title look silly. :lol

Guest Jayfunk
My most underrated would be The Tragically Hip. They're one of the best band's ever to come out of Canada.

Better than Nickleback?

Also i don't think the beatles or the stones are overrated.

I think Black Sabbeth is vastly overrated they had one good song (IMO) Paraniod