Fan Clubs | beta

Most Underated & Overrated Musicians

ShaolinHandLock

Apart from being vastly influential, one more amazing thing about the Beatles is their transformation. To use a modern analogy, it's like if the Backstreet Boys turned into Tool.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman
Redman is one that I dont get in terms of being one of those "greatest of all time" names. He's good, I enjoy him a lot, sure, but I cannot put him up there.

If you say so. :lol

I guess it comes from my disappointmant from the Blueprint album, apart from a few songs, I found it pretty average. Blueprint 2.1 and Kingdom Come on the other hand, I enjoyed much more. Plus I enjoyed the 2 underground freestyles I have. I'd still not rate him one of the best of all time though.

EDIT - I actually haven't heard Reasonable Doubt.....although I've heard quite a few tracks from it, as I have Jay-Z's Greatest Hits CD. As for who I'd class as the greatest.....the list would be too long! :lol

woah son. Can't call Jay-Z overrated if you haven't heard Reasonable Doubt.

Not to mention, any best rapper ever Top 10 list that doesn't have Hov in it just struggles to be credible. He's been every bit if as lyrical as Nas as well as consistently being a fixture in mainstream.

Dre

Kinda funny you say that. I love Dr. Dre, but the fact that he's released rap albums, yet writes none of his own material is a negative. Ice Cube, Ren, The DOC, Eminem, and Jay-Z should get as much credit for The Chronic and 2001 as he has as they penned almost every word that came out of his mouth. As a prodoucer he's priceless though.

As for me overrated:

John Lennon: Seeing as how I'm of the firm belief that McCartney and Harrison > John, seeing the unequalled praise for ole Lennon isn't awesome. The man is class, yes, but to me, he's further proof that dieing in your prime = ratings.

Nirvana: Really?

Tupac: See Nirvana and Lennon I guess. Has an entire coast of relentless diehards it seems. What irks me most is that I couldn't place him in my top 10 based off lyricism alone. And before any jumps on the "the massage man, the content!", I can't stand him for the same reason Nas annoys me. Listening to a Tupac is listening to a confused hypocrite...a confused hypocrite who damn near single handedly caused the death of himself and Biggie.

Underrated:

The Bee Gees: Disco isn't dead, because disco didn't really exist. Disco is just pop music from that time, which makes The Bee Gee's complete and utter pop music icons. Not even just for the fact that they've created a few songs which define their era...they also wrote songs for other artists. Legends.

Duran Duran: Some people would like to foolishly blast Duran Duran for being fake, manufactured; a predecessor of the 90's boy band craze. That's all fine and well except for one thing...they wrote their own songs. Instead of being created in the image of what was hot, what was hot was created in the image of them. Some people struggle an entire lifetime, trying their hardest, giving a super concerned effort to do what's hip to try and score some praise. Duran Duran did it relentlessly. They weren't trying to fit into the scene, they were the scene. Plus, they made a dance song about a Bond track 15 years before Madonna tried and did it so much better.

Redman is one that I dont get in terms of being one of those "greatest of all time" names. He's good, I enjoy him a lot, sure, but I cannot put him up there.

I don't think anyone could seriously stand in front of you and say Redman is a potential GOAT. He's had a plethora of hot 16's and made a really good album with Meth, but so many people from LL Cool J, KRS-1, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Tupac, Nas, Jay-Z, and Big Pun would instantly come before him. You'd have to be downright amazing to talk someone into believing Red is greater than most of the Wu-Tang Clan

----------------

Now playing: Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E.

via FoxyTunes

Edited by Fidel Cashflow

Underated:

the singer song writers who hit a glass ceiling because they are not pretty or thin enough to sell records, .

Are you describing yourself? :P

Guest Jimmy Redman
I don't think anyone could seriously stand in front of you and say Redman is a potential GOAT. He's had a plethora of hot 16's and made a really good album with Meth, but so many people from LL Cool J, KRS-1, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Tupac, Nas, Jay-Z, and Big Pun would instantly come before him. You'd have to be downright amazing to talk someone into believing Red is greater than most of the Wu-Tang Clan

Agreed. I have heard it about from some people though, which is why I mentioned it.

I think when you look at Dre in terms of his worth you need to class him as an overall hip-hop artist, including his producing and his rapping. You cant really have him in, say, a "Best Rappers Ever" list, but if you look at his overall body of work (NWA, The Chronic and 2001, Snoop, Em, etc.) and his influence, there arent many who are as big or as important as Dre in hip-hop. The same sort of thing goes for Timbaland, only more recently and on a smaller scale. He's a good rapper but an excellent producer, and you add them both together to get what Dre, and Tim, is and has been to hip-hop.

Agreed. I have heard it about from some people though, which is why I mentioned it.

I think when you look at Dre in terms of his worth you need to class him as an overall hip-hop artist, including his producing and his rapping. You cant really have him in, say, a "Best Rappers Ever" list, but if you look at his overall body of work (NWA, The Chronic and 2001, Snoop, Em, etc.) and his influence, there arent many who are as big or as important as Dre in hip-hop. The same sort of thing goes for Timbaland, only more recently and on a smaller scale. He's a good rapper but an excellent producer, and you add them both together to get what Dre, and Tim, is and has been to hip-hop.

To me, Dr Dre is primarily a producer, his rapping comes second. And I agree about Redman, I am a fan of Redman, but I wouldn't call him one of the greatest of all time. :)

Just for the record, since I instigated his mentioning, I don't think Redman is the greatest rapper of all time (or even in Wu-Tang), but if you put one of his CDs next to any of Jay-Z's, it's a no contest to who I will personally listen to. Jay-Z will never get a look-in anymore as far as I'm concerned. F*ck, I'll listen to Jimmy Redman over Jay-Z, let alone any other Redman.

Just for the record, since I instigated his mentioning, I don't think Redman is the greatest rapper of all time (or even in Wu-Tang), but if you put one of his CDs next to any of Jay-Z's, it's a no contest to who I will personally listen to. Jay-Z will never get a look-in anymore as far as I'm concerned. F*ck, I'll listen to Jimmy Redman over Jay-Z, let alone any other Redman.

Same here. And by the way, Redman isn't a member of Wu-Tang! :)

Anyway, I'd even (and have) listen to Macho Man Randy Savage over Jay-Z.* :lol

*Not that Jay-Z's bad or anything....

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest Jimmy Redman

I hope you didnt misunderstand me, I didnt think you were calling him the GOAT, but your mention of him reminded me of that general idea.

And as SHL said, Redman isnt in Wu-Tang. Method Man is, Redman isnt.

As a matter of fact I have an awful voice, in my opinion of course, which is a shame because I do like rapping, but I'd shudder to think how I'd sound doing it out loud.

I just thought of 4 more underrated rappers:

Bizarre of D12 - Always seemingly in Eminem's shadow, Bizarre is a very good solo artist in his own right.

Proof of D12 - Like Bizarre, Proof was always in Eminem's shadow. Proof released 2 albums and 1 mixtape in his life, and they prove how good he was as a solo artist.

Boondox - Any rapper who can use country music as a source of inspiration, then turn it into rap, is highly underrated in my opinion.

Warcloud aka Holocaust - A Wu-Tang affiliate, Warcloud/Holocaust stands out. Why? He's one of the best lyricists I've ever heard.

And if anyone wants proof about how good Warcloud is, here it is:

LANGUAGE WARNING! The Mods can remove if necessary.

Warcloud - Mad Axes

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIoulrVFAU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIoulrVFAU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'm reminded that Immortal Technique is the greatest rapper no-one has ever heard of.

"Dance With The Devil"

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

One of the best raps songs I've heard.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Anime Otaku
Vanilla Ice was criminally under rated.

No, he's really not. Vanilla Ice was one of the first committee rap acts that was thrust upon the world with only profit in mind when execs saw rap was popular, kinda like flat pack indie grops now.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
I think Eminem is gumph and overated, like I think most Irish Man U fans are glory hunting b*st*rds, it's just an opinion and should affect anyone else!

Ohhhhhhhhh if I didn't care so much I would be greatly offended at this, if that is your definition of a Irish 'glory hunting bastard' because I am 'Irish' then most football fans are glory hunters as not many are from where their teams are from.

And Eminem can sing as well as rap :) he can sing 20 times better than you too but thats just my opinion so don't get offended.

The staxx on deck thing was just a joke, no offence meant.

Scotty is clearly joking about Vanilla Ice...aren't you? :eek

Edited by The Genetic Jackhammer

Underrated:

Pendulum- I don't think they've had a bad song yet, and although a lot of people may recognise their music, they tend not to know that the song is by Pendulum

Hovercraft Pirates- Small band from somewhere around the north of Ireland, and I really doubt they'll ever be known [certainly not well] from anywhere outside of there, Ireland or the UK, but they're really good and have some really good songs. Although their songs tend either to be really good or really bad, not much middle ground.

Overrated:

Oasis- although I like Noel and Liam, so many of their songs sound the same, so if one's not very good, most of them aren't.

McFly- and not just from a "damn those pansy boys!" type of thing, but I just think they really suck and they're really annoying. Of course, very few people over 13 actually like them, but a few years ago them [and Busted] were a sore spot with me...damn pansy boys.

Guest Jaycey Baby
Underrated:

Pendulum- I don't think they've had a bad song yet, and although a lot of people may recognise their music, they tend not to know that the song is by Pendulum

Under-rated? Couldn't get away from the ****ers last year. There are so many bands that do the rock/dance crossover thing so much better. I admit they're good live, but they wouldn't know subtlety if it clocked them over the back of the head with a sledgehammer.