Fan Clubs | beta

Most Underated & Overrated Musicians

ShaolinHandLock

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overated:

Any form of rap: Some call it vocal art, I call it lack of a singing voice. Except Betty Boo of course, she had nice boobies :)

Coldplay: Coffee table music, in other words, they are on your coffee table so your visitors will see you as hip and cool. Once touted as genius, until people realised that wailing about things and sticking strings on top wasn't actually genius at all.

Anything manufactured: By the fact they have massive marketing power, manufactured bands will always be overated, because they always rate themselves.

Robbie Williams: Robbie, will you just F off now please?

Underated:

All the people who have been plying the circuits, the singer song writers who hit a glass ceiling because they are not pretty or thin enough to sell records, the people who spend their time entertaining people and read how the performing rights have saved Robbie 4 million pounds in performance fees, whilst they are stuck with £80 a night.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Overrated

The Beatles: I appreciate the legacy that these guys have left and how many people they've inspired. I just can't listen to the music without thinking "this is so average at best". Maybe if I were a part of their moment in the sun, I would think differently, but music has evolved and I don't think their sound has kept up, as some old classics which have never dated, with what music has become. It's just completely "meh", no more or less than when I listen to the Kaiser Chiefs.

Oasis: Another band held in high esteem that I can't push myself to go out and actively listen to. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of their songs, but not enough to say that they're a great band. Certainly not to the level that they seem to think that they're at.

The Strokes: Boring, dull, all sounds the same, and IMO, pretty sh*t.

Killswitch Engage/Machine Head: I've bundled these two together because I can write the same thing for both. Generic heavy metal that goes nowhere and focuses more on what'll make a good pit than what actually sounds good. Plenty of metal bands that are far better, but these two seem to be held on a far higher pedestal than deserved.

Jay-Z: Bar "99 Problems", I just don't rate him. I think it's more his style than his content, but nothing about him grabs me at all, like an Eminem, Scribe, Method Man and Redman, etc. Certainly not the best ever, not whilst 'Nem, Dre and Nas are still rolling. Again, meh.

Underrated

Electric Six: Biased, naturally, but our generations' closest incarnation to Talking Heads (another criminally overlooked band) are known for being the band who did Gay Bar, the song with the glowing groins, and a cover of Radio GaGa. Most people don't realise that they're now on their fifth album and sounding better with every album. Clever lyrics, a non-seriousness about themselves, and a fun sound that needs to be heard by more people - but no one will ever see them as any more than a comedy "novelty" act, when in fact they are so much more.

AC/DC: A questionable choice, but too many people are under the impression that AC/DC are a simple rock band who peaked in 1980, have aged into generic old rockers on a par with Status Quo, and who take themselves too seriously. In fact, AC/DC are the most simple rock band who peak every time a new album is released because they sound no different to each other, have aged just like anyone else, who don't take themselves or their music seriously at all, and yet still have a place in music as important as a Madonna, Elton John, or Eminem, with a sound that suits 2008 as much as it did 1980. You don't go to #1 in the album charts with little hype and no form of digital downloading in the age of digitalisation, unless you're one of the most loved and important bands of the modern age. AC/DC are that. They're simple rock in times where simplicity is needed to counter the growning confusion of crisis in the world. With all these new bands coming out and singing about trees and love and complex situations and emotions, no one thinks to just make music that's fun to listen to. But then, nobody needs to - we have AC/DC, and no one does it better.

Jack White: More people should love Jack White. Is there anything he touches that doesn't turn to gold? The White Stripes are a great act with great music, The Raconteurs are a great band with great music, and he even made Alicia Keys sound bareable and James Bond seem like a movie I might actually go and watch sometime (a complete rarity as I've never watched a Bond movie in my life). An underrated guitarist, a competant singer with a unique and recognisable sound, and all-round good musician deserving of his riches, and more.

I think Black Sabbeth is vastly overrated they had one good song (IMO) Paraniod

Overrated

The Beatles: I appreciate the legacy that these guys have left and how many people they've inspired. I just can't listen to the music without thinking "this is so average at best". Maybe if I were a part of their moment in the sun, I would think differently, but music has evolved and I don't think their sound has kept up, as some old classics which have never dated, with what music has become. It's just completely "meh", no more or less than when I listen to the Kaiser Chiefs.

I think Mitch hit the nail on the head about these two band, we're listening to them now out of context. I'm not a big Sabbath fan, and I despise Ozzy, but I can understand and appreciate what they did back in the day.

Sabbath, almost single handedly, created a wonderful new genre that itself spawned hundreds of new genres. While I may not like them I do understand why such a big fuss is made of them.

Same with the Beatles, I like their music but it isn't exactly groundbreaking by todays standards. Look at the music around int he 60s though and you can see what all the hype was about.

EDIT: As for my most underrated band, I have to say a Canadian metal outfit called Warmachine. I think they're pretty big on the Canadian circuit but no-one over here seems to have heard of them. I have their first album and it's pretty immense, just good old fashioned metal.

Their MySpace is WarMachine

songs like Battle and Alive are classic.

Edited by Phil

I completely disagree. And if you don't respect my opinion, I might have to leave this forum.*

*I'm not leaving, but you should still respect my opinion.

You are entirely allowed an opinion, I for the other end think it's sh*t :)

So throw a little respect my way! :lol

As for the Beatles, you may not like their music now, but it inspired the generation a lot of you are listening to now. Funnily enough I think that the best Beatles songs weren't written by Lennon and McCartney, "Something" for example is an absolute classic song which does transcend the eras.

Don't also forget that when the Beatles recorded albums, they recorded the song live, they didn't have Track recording in those days, it's something a lot of bands rely on to make their sound a bit "different".

Edited by Saz

Underrated:

The Cribs - The three Jarman brothers (and now ex-Smiths guitarist, Johnny Marr), while having a little popularity due to their lo-fi sound and being linked with the british post-punk revival (thanks to bands like The Libertines), are still largely unknown. They've had three excellent albums, and Q Magazine recently dubbed them "the biggest cult band in the UK".

Well I challenge many modern bands to record in one take and still manage to be out there :)

I challenge The Beatles to entertain me for more than a song.

Let's clear one thing up - I don't find them overrated on influence and importance. I find them overrated on talent and sound.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
Overated:

Any form of rap: Some call it vocal art, I call it lack of a singing voice. Except Betty Boo of course, she had nice boobies :)

You reckon Staxx on deck is better than Eminem?

AC/DC: A questionable choice, but too many people are under the impression that AC/DC are a simple rock band who peaked in 1980, have aged into generic old rockers on a par with Status Quo, and who take themselves too seriously. In fact, AC/DC are the most simple rock band who peak every time a new album is released because they sound no different to each other, have aged just like anyone else, who don't take themselves or their music seriously at all, and yet still have a place in music as important as a Madonna, Elton John, or Eminem, with a sound that suits 2008 as much as it did 1980. You don't go to #1 in the album charts with little hype and no form of digital downloading in the age of digitalisation, unless you're one of the most loved and important bands of the modern age. AC/DC are that. They're simple rock in times where simplicity is needed to counter the growning confusion of crisis in the world. With all these new bands coming out and singing about trees and love and complex situations and emotions, no one thinks to just make music that's fun to listen to. But then, nobody needs to - we have AC/DC, and no one does it better.

I'd add a little asterisk onto that very well put statement. AC/DC pre Brian Johnson are CRIMINALLY underrated. Bon Scott remains to me the quintessential frontman. He had the voice, he had the personality, and some of the lyrics he wrote are nothing short of genius.

Also add in another vote for THIN LIZZY being underrated. Most people know... what, Boys are Back In Town, Whiskey In The Jar and maybe Dancin' In The Moonlight at a push. Bollocks. The band were so much more than those songs. Philo was a poet, and indeed, some of his lyrics were published as poetry in a couple of collections. They pioneered the twin lead guitar sound that many, many bands copied. They are a band that have an amazing back catalogue, and arguably the finest live album ever recorded in "Live and Dangerous". It's just a shame Philo's larger than life (and death) shadow looms over them as a collective unit.

You reckon Staxx on deck is better than Eminem?

Never heard of them, cool name though.

If you are referring to my creating music then the answer is an obvious yes, I write the music I want to listen to, Eminem compared to what I want to listen is a no brainer.

I think Eminem is gumph and overated, like I think most Irish Man U fans are glory hunting b*st*rds, it's just an opinion and should affect anyone else!