Fan Clubs | beta

Most Underated & Overrated Musicians

ShaolinHandLock

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScottyB
No, he's really not. Vanilla Ice was one of the first committee rap acts that was thrust upon the world with only profit in mind when execs saw rap was popular, kinda like flat pack indie grops now.

Scotty is clearly joking about Vanilla Ice

HH clearly knows his stuff :)

Don't also forget that when the Beatles recorded albums, they recorded the song live, they didn't have Track recording in those days, it's something a lot of bands rely on to make their sound a bit "different".

That isn't true, they did.

It would have been impossible to get those records if they didn't. There are various overdubs added, like guitar solo's, backing vocals, even orchestras added on after the backing track.

So the only difference to today is the digital aspect (you aren't record onto tape, so if you mess it up, doesn't matter, wipe it start again), and they have way more tracks than back then (which was probably 4, but then they bounced meaning where you can record more across the 4 tracks).

But yeah even when they didn't have a 4 track recorder, they used multiple 2 track ones, thus why Lennon's vocals are always doubled up on Revolver say.

Edited by Jung

Guest natalieeee
Overrated:

McFly- and not just from a "damn those pansy boys!" type of thing, but I just think they really suck and they're really annoying. Of course, very few people over 13 actually like them, but a few years ago them [and Busted] were a sore spot with me...damn pansy boys.

not true, i know loads of people older than 18 who like them!

agree with oasis tho

Guest Kanenite
Also add in another vote for THIN LIZZY being underrated. Most people know... what, Boys are Back In Town, Whiskey In The Jar and maybe Dancin' In The Moonlight at a push. Bollocks. The band were so much more than those songs. Philo was a poet, and indeed, some of his lyrics were published as poetry in a couple of collections. They pioneered the twin lead guitar sound that many, many bands copied. They are a band that have an amazing back catalogue, and arguably the finest live album ever recorded in "Live and Dangerous". It's just a shame Philo's larger than life (and death) shadow looms over them as a collective unit.

Definitely agreed. I got Live and Dangerous the other week actually, had it in my car and it fails to get boring. Such an electric band with a fantastic catalogue of songs.

Overrated:

Oasis- although I like Noel and Liam, so many of their songs sound the same, so if one's not very good, most of them aren't.

I hate it when people say their songs sound the same because they really don't. I'm extremely biased here because they're one of my favourite bands ever, but the reason being that they still continue to produce fantastic records that really aren't generic.

Edited by Kanenite

Guest DarkMatchJobber
I kind of felt the rest of D12 were quite underrated when they were going because despite Eminem being the main star/vocalist the others were quite good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated:

Arctic Monkeys: sure, they have a few good songs, and favourite worst nightmare was a decent follow up, but nowhere the levels of god-dom NME and every other mag were shouting about

Lily Allen: just an annoying lager lout chav whose songs don't really mean anything or say anything which interests me. Ghastly, simply ghastly

Underrated:

Ian Brown: Musical genius behind the Stone Roses (yes, Squire wrote lyrics and music too, but was also responsible for the not very good Second Coming), has gone on to release some great solo albums and the track F.E.A.R is an absolute gem.

Suede: Caught up in the Britpop whirl, their first two albums were great, rough around the edges provocative guitar pop, and when Butler left, they released a stunner in 'Coming Up'. A great pop record that one was.

Underrated:

Suede: Caught up in the Britpop whirl, their first two albums were great, rough around the edges provocative guitar pop, and when Butler left, they released a stunner in 'Coming Up'. A great pop record that one was.

Frikkin love them so I do. Trash and Beautiful Ones are great songs, some of my favorites ever.

Overrated:

Arctic Monkeys: sure, they have a few good songs, and favourite worst nightmare was a decent follow up, but nowhere the levels of god-dom NME and every other mag were shouting about

Totally agree with this, plus I thought "Whatever People Say I Am..." wasn't even that great an album, "Favourite Worst Nightmare" was far better, yet it still wasn't amazing.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Maybe thats an Australian thing, they are even today seen as one of the greatest pop acts of all time in the UK.

Yeah I know, same here, but sometimes you get the sense of "its just crappy gay songs" from people. Like all their songs sound the same. I wish I had a better way of explaining it. Maybe its an age thing, because I think it comes more from young people. Stupid kids. But I watched Mamma Mia the other day (I know, I know..) and it just struck me all over again how really freaking good their songs are.

Pop music in general is underrated. I have a great hatred for the hatred of 'manufactured pop'. I mean if you dont like the music, fine. But its the idea of 'They dont write their own music', 'They dont write their own lyrics', or 'They were manufactured by a record company' or 'These songs all sound the same' or anything else in that vein. If the music is good, and I find a LOT of it good, then I couldnt give the slightest f*ck where it came from.