Fan Clubs | beta

Retro Gaming Memories Thread!

Guest Inno

Well seeing as so many of us are reliving the past in the other thread, how about this one for the BEST memories of old games?

Mine... well they start on the Amstrad CPC 464 with Matchday II; Emlyn Hughes International Soccer; Batman; Head Over Heels; Knight Tyme; Elite; Renegade...

*sigh*

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of the best games from my youth (which I still love to this day) are:

Road Rash - Good Lord! What a game! What. A. Game!! I seriously loved Road Rash what with the chains and the kicking and the simple of premise that you were racing on a motorbike, for cash, and trying to basically kill the other guy...who was also riding on a motorbike. Strangely, despite the rather simple narrative, this game rarely got repetitive.

Paper Boy - I had this on the NES and I really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it immensely, in fact. The simple premise of this game was that you had to ride your bike, guide it past various obstacles and then chuck your newspapers in to the letterboxes of the houses. At the end of the level there would usually be a BMX rack for you to die on :lol. Amazing game.

California Games - Arrrr-Agg-lll....*Boyo drools*...oh, how I loved California games when I was a wee nipper!! A bit like Paper Boy, I just loved the BMX level but reserved a soft spot for the Hackey-Sack and the Surfing games. I played this all day when I was in primary school!

Brutal Sports Football - A weird game that game to my attention when I was in my late mid-teens, when I got my first PC. It was loosely based on American Football and featured teams of basically Orca-Vikings who carried weapons, grenades and spiked helmets. The objective was to basically punt this pig-skin in to a soccer-like goal. The best thing I loved doing was dropkicking the skin from three yards into someone's face and watching their head fly off! Proper violent game yet I think it stayed under the radar a bit.

Grand Theft Auto - The original top-down version. Holy Jeebus Moly-Moo! How playable was this game!? I still have it somewhere. Believe it or not, I did go out and buy one of the much later GTA (Vice City? I believe it was called? Really 80's themed) with the first -person view and massive depth of gameplay. Bah! Give me this 16 bit blocky retard of a game any day of the week.

Flashback - Dearest Billy! For those who grew up with the arrival of the NES, the Master System and the Atari Lynx, who later laughed at the Mega CD and went and bought their first PC instead (like Boyo), then you would remember that Flashback was a f*cking revelation when it was launched. The graphics; oh lordy-loo, the graphics were out of this world. No other way to put it, but no one had ever seen a game simply look as real, and feel as real as Flashback did. Obviously it looks dated now but at the time you were seriously kool if you had Flashback.

Mortal Kombat - Despite revisionist history telling you otherwise, Mortal Kombat kicked Streetfighter 2's backside all the way back to Ryuken. Raiden, Scorpion and Sub-Zero looked, fought and played like nothing we'd ever seen before. Johnny Cage had that brilliant splits thing, Kano had that Terminator eye, and that bozo with the 6 arms was a bee-yotch to beat :lol.

Steel Battallion - Moving on to the XBox now, with two special mentions. Does anyone remember Steel Battallion? I have this game, and paid over £170 for not just the game but that ruddy-great controller-station that you had to buy just to play it. The controller was desk-sized, with two joysticks, a plethora of buttons including a geniuine "launch control" button (with lock), and the b*st*rd also came with pedals AND gears!! Once you mastered it (and not many did) Steel Battallion was a fabulously immersive game.

Halo - Just brilliant. I don't need to say much more about this game as I'd imagine most of you would have played it and hold it it rather high regard :).

Cheers!

Guest Anime Otaku

I got Halo when I got my 360. I found it to be pretty uninspiring TBH.

Loved Elite 2, is there any games around like it? Secret of Monkey Island was great too. Also got to mention the old Sonic and Mario games. Maybe too recent to be really retro but Farenheit (sp) is amazing if you're an adventure fan.

Acorn Electron

Orion Crappy little game where you had to avoid aliens and pick up the parts to your ship then fly off again.

Elite Great game, except I could never save anything to tape, due to the connection lead or something I dunno, so I always had to start at Lave!

Spectrum +2

Aliens Dunno why, I could never win it or know how to play it, but it was good fun.

They stole a million Plan a heist, it was brilliant fun to try get your robbery off perfectly. I must see if I can get this on emulation!

Ghostbusters Played it more on my mate's C64, always died under the staypuft marshmallow man, but it didn't matter!

Super stuntman Learn the course, fly over the barriers, was tough, but rewarding.

Commodore Amiga

Rockstar ate my hamster Music management sim meets spitting image, I could never win, but I loved to play this game, another for the emulator list.

Eye of the beholder 1 & 2 3d adventures that took you down dungeons and into a party of monsters, truly nailbiting stuff at the time.

Gameboy

Super Mario Took me ages but I finished this game and it was an achievement for me at the time.

PC

Tie fighter How good was this game??? It was really involving and took a lot of skill and it just felt right!

Monkey Island 1 & 2 No explanation needed :)

Sam & Max Hit the road Hilarious and challenging.

Day of the tentacle I'm sure you're getting the idea by now :D

Playstation

Final Fantasy 7 Classic, epic, brilliant and involving storyline, from the moment you start playing to that last scene, you really care and the battle system was easy to manage.

Hogs of war Oh... my... GOD! How fun was this game??? There SO should have been a sequel! Imagine Worms in 3D but with pigs set during the 1st world war and voiced by Rick Mayall, hell, even that explanation has got me wanting to play!

Guest Dante Spears

Megaman 3, Jeopardy, and some game where you delivered newspapers are my earliest memories of gaming.

I also remember one of those medieval sidescroller like Golden Axe, and playing it in the lounge room while on vacation.

I also remember those countless hours infront of the window in winter playing Pokemon Reed, catching pokemon, testing out those cheats that everyone said were in the game (ie catching Togepi, going through the wall in Pallet Town, going behind Bill house etc.)

Guest Jayfunk
A couple of the best games from my youth (which I still love to this day) are:

Road Rash - Good Lord! What a game! What. A. Game!! I seriously loved Road Rash what with the chains and the kicking and the simple of premise that you were racing on a motorbike, for cash, and trying to basically kill the other guy...who was also riding on a motorbike. Strangely, despite the rather simple narrative, this game rarely got repetitive.

Paper Boy - I had this on the NES and I really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it immensely, in fact. The simple premise of this game was that you had to ride your bike, guide it past various obstacles and then chuck your newspapers in to the letterboxes of the houses. At the end of the level there would usually be a BMX rack for you to die on :lol. Amazing game.

California Games - Arrrr-Agg-lll....*Boyo drools*...oh, how I loved California games when I was a wee nipper!! A bit like Paper Boy, I just loved the BMX level but reserved a soft spot for the Hackey-Sack and the Surfing games. I played this all day when I was in primary school!

Brutal Sports Football - A weird game that game to my attention when I was in my late mid-teens, when I got my first PC. It was loosely based on American Football and featured teams of basically Orca-Vikings who carried weapons, grenades and spiked helmets. The objective was to basically punt this pig-skin in to a soccer-like goal. The best thing I loved doing was dropkicking the skin from three yards into someone's face and watching their head fly off! Proper violent game yet I think it stayed under the radar a bit.

Grand Theft Auto - The original top-down version. Holy Jeebus Moly-Moo! How playable was this game!? I still have it somewhere. Believe it or not, I did go out and buy one of the much later GTA (Vice City? I believe it was called? Really 80's themed) with the first -person view and massive depth of gameplay. Bah! Give me this 16 bit blocky retard of a game any day of the week.

Flashback - Dearest Billy! For those who grew up with the arrival of the NES, the Master System and the Atari Lynx, who later laughed at the Mega CD and went and bought their first PC instead (like Boyo), then you would remember that Flashback was a f*cking revelation when it was launched. The graphics; oh lordy-loo, the graphics were out of this world. No other way to put it, but no one had ever seen a game simply look as real, and feel as real as Flashback did. Obviously it looks dated now but at the time you were seriously kool if you had Flashback.

Mortal Kombat - Despite revisionist history telling you otherwise, Mortal Kombat kicked Streetfighter 2's backside all the way back to Ryuken. Raiden, Scorpion and Sub-Zero looked, fought and played like nothing we'd ever seen before. Johnny Cage had that brilliant splits thing, Kano had that Terminator eye, and that bozo with the 6 arms was a bee-yotch to beat :lol.

Steel Battallion - Moving on to the XBox now, with two special mentions. Does anyone remember Steel Battallion? I have this game, and paid over £170 for not just the game but that ruddy-great controller-station that you had to buy just to play it. The controller was desk-sized, with two joysticks, a plethora of buttons including a geniuine "launch control" button (with lock), and the b*st*rd also came with pedals AND gears!! Once you mastered it (and not many did) Steel Battallion was a fabulously immersive game.

Halo - Just brilliant. I don't need to say much more about this game as I'd imagine most of you would have played it and hold it it rather high regard :).

Cheers!

i agree 200% with the bold ones

Guest Jaycey Baby
The ultimate retro game for me would be Super Metroid on the SNES. You won't wring more atmosphere out of a 16 bit chip! Good call on Flashback, but surely XBox games don't class as retro yet... Do they?

Guest Michael89

My first console was the Sega Master System with the built in Sonic The Hedgehog game, that was great. Only game I had.

Then onto the Megadrive, only two games for that, Sonic The Hedgehog & Robocod, loved them, don't think I ever completed them though.

Then onto the Playstation. I wasn't a major gamer so there were many classics that I never played. Favourites were : Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Driver, Reloaded, Tony Hawks Skateboarding, Wipeout, Gran Turismo 2, Alien Trilogy, more that I can't think of. I used to have loads of demos that I loved playing too but never bought the actual games, which was a shame.

Hewson went through a phase where everything they released was genius: Exolon, Cybernoid, Ranarama, Uridium... loved 'em

Bubble Bobble on any platform, but specifically on CPC was fantastic.

Guest MojoPogo
I remember the first time i pulled off a spinning piledrive on SF2 in the arcade. I actually did physically leap about 5 ft in the air shouting YES!. I looked like a right numpty. But it didnt half earn me instant respect.

Guest Dave7g

I had the Wrestlemania Arcade game on Snes for a while when I saw the actual machine in an arcade one day.

One coin, first ever game, completed. I'm not nearly that good anymore, It's old age.

Guest Dante Spears

Not me. I freaking hated Halo. I don't understand why people keep throwing all these perfect games scores at it when the game is by no means perfect.

Guest Hanahbananabob
I vaguely remember playing Sonic The Hedgehog on the Mastersystem....but my earliest memory has gotta be playing Alex Kidd on the megadrive and having to defeat random opponents in games of rock, paper, scissors! Awesome stuff xD

Guest Hanahbananabob
That was the mastersystem, Alex Kidd in Miracle World I believe. It was built into the machine.

i think there were two different alex kidd games.....i have one for the megadrive...Alex Kidd and the enchanted castle i think its called?? i probably did play the original one, but i cant remember it well as i would have been about 5 when we had it...

There were LOADS of Alex Kidds, so quoteth Wkki:

The Alex Kidd franchise included:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World - 1986, Master System | 2008, Wii Virtual Console

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - 1986, Arcade Version | 1989, Master System

Alex Kidd BMX Trial - 1987, Master System (Japan-only)

Alex Kidd: High-Tech World - 1989, Master System

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - 1989, Mega Drive/Genesis | 2007, Wii Virtual Console

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World - 1990, Master System

Sega Superstars Tennis - 2008, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2

I dont remember Enchanted Castle having the Rock, Paper, Scissors (which is why I said it was t'other one) but seems I was wrong.