Fan Clubs | beta

X-Men: First Class - Singer returning to direct

DC

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, I'm still not feeling this film yet. Either it's looking a bit rubbish right now, or X3 and Wolverine: Origins blinded me, and now I can't see anything good in X-Men films.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is plenty good to see in X men based films, but it's going to take a lot to pass Kelly Hu in a leather catsuit.

Oh, wait, I see. You mean story-wise. I'd have to conceed the whole movie franchise then, the stories have never been great. Seriously, I thought the whole point from the start was improbably good looking people with improbable powers basically blowing shit up and looking both cool and sexy as hell while doing it. Or have I missed, like, an entire layer or something?

Edited by etz

isn't X2 the one where Jean Grey Needlesley dies, Wolverine turns into a blubbering pussy and Nightcrawler is nowhere near as awesome as in the comics?

Yeah, greatest superhero script ever.

None of the above is accurate Phil. First wolverine does nothing of the sort and they did a great job with nightcrawler. Yes Jean dies but not in a needless way. In a well wrote and acted way. True x3 made it look needless by bringing her back.

Guest Sparrow
None of the above is accurate Phil. First wolverine does nothing of the sort

Well yeah to be fair, Phil is right, Wovie does turn in to a blubbering loser and I am not a fan of his father like figure to Rouge, It's lame.

and they did a great job with nightcrawler.

A okay job. I mean he could have been a lot worse but he could have been a lot better too.

The scene when he is first introduced and takes out all those people, that is pretty cool.

Yes Jean dies but not in a needless way. In a well wrote and acted way. True x3 made it look needless by bringing her back.

Wait how does the fact that Jean's death being well wrote and acted make it a none needless death? That has nothing to do with it.

X2 having 'the best written superhero script ever.' :lol Oh man, you so crazy.

To cheer up Omega I will now quote Cracked.com...

Wait a second ...

Why did she need to leave the plane at all?

Jean's powers are telekinetic -- she thinks about something and it happens. Nothing we know about her powers says the walls of the plane would block them, and even if they did, she could have just stood in the cockpit and knocked out the windows. If she had immediately started fixing the plane and told everyone to shut up while she concentrated, they probably could have been half way to Acapulco before the water even got to them.

We didn't just make up this solution, by the way -- it's the one she actually uses in the Marvel novelization of the movie. The book had a different ending where, lo and behold, Jean fixes the ship from inside and doesn't die needlessly, and they all live happily ever after. But if that had happened, we wouldn't have been able to see Wolverine and Cyclops hug out their differences, and we definitely wouldn't have wanted to miss that.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18904_6-heroic-movie-deaths-that-could-have-been-easily-avoided.html#ixzz1FdBz1kxy

yep that's what I meant when I said it was needless, it just looked like they wanted to kill somebody off and that was the way they chose to do it.

Also, in the comics Nightcrawler is (from what I can remember) a very upbeat, wise-cracking mutant. The movie changed him into a very brooding, melancholic character. It didn't quite fit. I did, however, completely forget about the opening scene which was absolutely awesome!

Also, when Jean dies Wolverine is blubbering like a baby and ends up hugging Cyclops in a man-hug of solitude, it completely rapes Wolverine's character.

EDIT: I wouldn't call them 'problems', just things that were included that didn't quite make sense.

I don't think there's been a truly spectacular comic book film yet, even my favourite, Punisher: War Zone, has its fair share of duff moments.

Edited by Phil

T'be fair on the Jean Grey thing - they killed her off so they could go into the Phoenix story in the third film.

They could've come up with a more sensibly way of finishing her off though, if they felt it was SO necessary.

As for Nightcrawler - I think for his introduction it worked well to be a rather more sombre character who, if had been a part of the third, developed into the happier, more playful chap that we know as he finds a proper home and family to be a part of.

Just ma' take on things :P.

I seem to remember Nightcrawler was always sombre, he just put up a front. In fact I'd say the guy sufferend from a deep depression.

Jean Grey could have been sorted far, far easier than that.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, they killed her in an incredibly stupid way so they could shoe-horn in the creation of Phoenix 1 with the least effort possible or build up, but then that died on it's arse due to X3 being one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of paying to see. The whole Jean Grey thing was a horrible, horrible bit of scripting; rushed, illogical, pointless, unexplained and wildly out of character.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, my superhero tolerance is very low indeed. X1, X2, and the Robin-less Batman's are the only superhero films I can remember liking off the top of my head.

I thought X-3 had a lot of good parts (Xavier dying, the translations of Beast and Angel, Wolverine going all T800 at the end), but contained too many faults (Juggernaut, the piss-poor translation of the Phoenix character) to be worthy of the two earlier films.

When I first read that Phoenix was going to be in the third film, I got so excited (my mind going back to the arc in the 90s cartoon), but the end result was pretty pathetic.

EDIT - I thought Ghost Rider was great fun.

Guest John Hancock
The only thing I liked about X3 was the "Oh it's ___" geek-pop every time they introduced a new character without naming them. They had a lot of characters from the comics as sort of incidental background characters.