Fan Clubs (beta)

X-Men: First Class - Singer returning to direct

DC

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banshee?

So this is less 'first class' and more 'let's think of some characters we haven't used yet and cram them in'

Banshee?

So this is less 'first class' and more 'let's think of some characters we haven't used yet and cram them in'

To be fair, they do need to replace Angel and Iceman with someone and Banshee isn't a bad choice.

There are also rumours that Kevin Pennington is up for the role of Multiple Man and Erica Hosseini could play Willow, while it's 99% confirmed Lucas Till will play Havok.

I still don't see how they can call this the first class though? I'm interested in seeing it, but it already sounds like the xmen chronology is shot to sh*t already.
It was "shot to shit" when the first X-Men movie came out (Iceman as a newbie), so I don't see how you can complain about it now. :lol

It'll be the first class because, in the movie version of the X-Men universe, this will be Xavier's first class of mutants to attend his school.

Mystique has now been officially cast for the movie... and she'll be played by relative unknown Jennifer Lawrence.

EDIT - In an update on the Kevin Bacon casting news, there are strong rumours (although, it must be stressed that they are only rumours at present) that he's going to be cast as Nathaniel Essex/Mr. Sinister.

Edited by DC

• 2 weeks later...
Another mutant to add to the line-up as Twilight's Edi Gathegi has been given the role of Darwin, a mutant with the power of reactive evolution. In a nutshell, his body adapts to ANY situation it's put in (fire-proof skin when caught in a blaze, ability to breath underwater, etc, etc.), so there could be some fun to be had with him, especially as the evolutions are reactive, meaning that sometimes they're not what he expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Some switching around has been going on with the casting as Alice Eve has left the production. She was due to play Emma Frost and has been replaced with January Jones. Also, Bill Milner (the young kid from Son of Rambow) is in as the young Magneto and Oliver Platt has been brought in to portray The Man In Black, while, in a piece of left-field casting, Zoe Kravitz (daughter of Lenny) will take on the mantle of Angel.

At the moment, the cast list comprises of:

James McAvoy - Prof. Charles Xavier

Michael Fassbender - Magneto

January Jones - Emma Frost

Nicholas Hoult - Beast

Caleb Landry Jones - Banshee

Zoe Kravitz - Angel

Rose Byrne - Moira McTaggert

Jennifer Lawrence - Mystique

Lucas Till - Havok

Edi Gathegi - Darwin

Jason Flemyng - Azazel

Oliver Platt - The Man in Black

Bill Milner - Young Magneto

and...

Kevin Bacon - (rumoured to be either) Sebastian Shaw or Nathaniel Essex

That looks random as hell; in both casting and characters. Looks like it'll be a rental movie for me, like origins: wolverine was.

this film is gonna blow, looks like they're just trying to use as many characters as possible and get as many new actors in as possible.

Guest Beefhead
this film is gonna blow, looks like they're just trying to use as many characters as possible and get as many new actors in as possible.

What he said. QFT

To be fair, new actors were kind of inevitable seeing as how it's younger versions (younger than Stewart and McKellen could be made to look for an entire running time) of the established characters.

I can understand some level of being unconvinced, I'm struggling to see why, with the likes of Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Rose Byrne, Jason Flemyng and Oliver Platt all starring and Singer overseeing the project, you're having such a negative reaction towards it.

Sure, it's not canon in regards to the comics (then again, depending on which writer's take you read, neither are the comics themselves), but neither were the first two X-Men movies and they were great.

I'd at the very least be inclined to reserve judgement until some footage is seen or stills of the actors in character are released.

the quality of actors in it isn't my problem, and by new I don't mean new to the franchise, I mean new to acting. Aside from from Macavoy, Flemyng, platt and Byrne it smacks of the studio basically saying 'lets find young, attractive actors and find characters for them.'

Only other one I've heard of is Hoult, who was in an obscure english teen soap and had a miniscule, instantly forgettable, part in Clash of the Titans.

I'm not getting excited because X-Men origins: Wolverine was w*nk and had exactly the same problem - lets just cram a load of comic book characters into the film and give them no development what so ever and just hope that their comic history gets them over with the viewers. Nobody I spoke to about the film thought there was any reason to include Gambit in the origin film aside from the fact he was called Gambit.

Plus, Singer's attached to it? Big wup, he directed Superman Returns and guess what? Yep, it was shit.

No problems with it not being cannon, I've come to expect that from major film studios, but this is supposed to be Xavier's 'first class'. There should be 4 or 5 mutants tops, just to see if the concept works.

Also, I don't want to start a debate but making Angel a woman? Why the f*ck was that needed, it just smacks of trying to change for changes sake. Worthington was the heir to his father's fortune, who was an arrogant, pampered tw*t. They've already shown him in the third film, so why the f*ck have they changed sex? And if it's a completely different character then what's the point?!

so to answer your question - all the reasons above are why I'm not getting excited about this film, and think it's gonna suck donkey balls.

I'm not getting excited because X-Men origins: Wolverine was w*nk and had exactly the same problem
I enjoyed the Wolverine movie, thought Deadpool (pre-scarring) was awesomely conceived and I thought Sabretooth was brilliantly portrayed as well, but if you didn't like it, I can see why you'd be wary of this one.
Nobody I spoke to about the film thought there was any reason to include Gambit in the origin film aside from the fact he was called Gambit.
I can give you a reason right now; in X-Men 2, Gambit's real name is on the list of mutants shown on Striker's computer, meaning he was, at one point in time, a prisoner of Striker's in the past.

With X-Men Origins: Wolverine being set in the past, and the seeds of Gambit's involvement having already been sown, it wasn't a huge leap of faith to include him.

There you go, one reason to include Gambit. I'm not saying it's the best reason or even the only reason, but it is a reason and that's what you were looking for.

Plus, Singer's attached to it? Big wup, he directed Superman Returns and guess what? Yep, it was shit.
He also did Public Access, The Usual Suspects, X-Men and X-Men 2, Apt Pupil and Valkyrie as a director (and sometimes producer) as well as being one of the producers on the awesome Trick 'r Treat.

His good far outweighs his bad and his run with ensemble casts is fantastic (both X-Men movies, Suspects and Valkyrie were all ensembles).

No problems with it not being cannon, I've come to expect that from major film studios, but this is supposed to be Xavier's 'first class'. There should be 4 or 5 mutants tops, just to see if the concept works.
Not all of the mutants listed are going to be in his First Class, so you may end up with only four or five mutants making up the team.
Also, I don't want to start a debate but making Angel a woman? Why the f*ck was that needed, it just smacks of trying to change for changes sake. Worthington was the heir to his father's fortune, who was an arrogant, pampered tw*t. They've already shown him in the third film, so why the f*ck have they changed sex? And if it's a completely different character then what's the point?!
This was the one sticking point I had until I read up on exactly which character she'll be playing. Turns out it's not the one with the feathery wings.

Angel Salvadore - aka Tempest - has the power of ice generation from her left hand and heat/fire generation via her right hand, as well as the ability to fly. She used to go by the name Angel and had the abilities of acidic spit and flight due to a set of wings like a fly, but was depowered by the Scarlett Witch during the House of M saga, so technology was used to give her the powers she enjoys as Tempest.

I've not read which incarnation she's going to appear as in the movie, but with her being called Angel, the odds are in favour of her pre-M status.