Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 116 - July 3rd - Spoilers

Paul

Guest The Cork
Why/how are there 2 Heavyweight Champions?

Carwin is 'Interim' UFC champion, meaning while Brock was out injured, if he wasn't able to make it back fit to defend the actual title, Carwin would be next in line to receive it. If Brock wins, there is no more 'Interim' stuff anyway, same with Carwin as he would be the actual champ.

He beat Frank Mir in his last fight for it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dude Love
Carwin is 'Interim' UFC champion, meaning while Brock was out injured, if he wasn't able to make it back fit to defend the actual title, Carwin would be next in line to receive it. If Brock wins, there is no more 'Interim' stuff anyway, same with Carwin as he would be the actual champ.

He beat Frank Mir in his last fight for it.

Thank you.

I haven't watched UFC since the days of Royce Gracie and that. I'm going to give it a go again seeing as channel 5 are showing it for Brussels sprout.

Guest The Cork
Are UFC PPV's on Channel Five in UK?

I know they showed the Evans v 'Page main event last month on a week delay, I dont think they show the whole PPV though.

Guest Dusty Finish
UFC would be stupid to waste any decent fights on this card, its a one-fight PPV and it will sell on the main event alone. Save other top fights for other PPV's. UFC are smart to have a massive main event and pad it out with a bunch of crap because nobody cares about anything other than Lesnar/Carwin anyway.

Again, I seriously can't see why anyone would think this is a weak card??! Compared to what? UFC 100, maybe. Have any of the subsequent 15 (or prior 10, bar 92- I think?) been any stronger than this line up?

Given that Zuffa are looking at trying Japan again in the next two years, I'd say Akiyama is a very significant draw with a proportion of their target audience, given his homeland popularity, so a lot hinders on his success here.

I can forsee Lesnar's "heel heat" dying down, in honesty. The backlash to him being a "fake wrestler" has all but run its course, and it seems his recent health problems have garnered him significant sympathy, if anything. Anderson Silva & Josh Koscheck have kind of stolen his thunder in his year-long absence. I suppose we'll see for sure on Saturday.

Guest The Cork
Again, I seriously can't see why anyone would think this is a weak card??! Compared to what? UFC 100, maybe. Have any of the subsequent 15 (or prior 10, bar 92- I think?) been any stronger than this line up?

I liked 103, 107 and 110 more than this (on paper), but there have been poorer cards than this. Of course, the fights could turn out to be better than I expect though.

Guest The Beltster
Calm down mate, you will burst a blood vessel if you get any more bent out of shape over an opinion :lol

This card isnt horrible, but none of these fights are fights that people are really looking forward to seeing or would sell a PPV, thats all I'm saying in response to anybody who might want to see a bigger stacked card.

Guest Dude Love
Are UFC PPV's on Channel Five in UK?

I'm not sure if the PPVs are but I have definitely watched UFC on Channel 5 lately. It's not live but still, better than nowt.

Guest Springsteen
--Dana White has banned vuvuzelas from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday night. Those are the noise makers used by South African fans at the World Cup. "This decision was pretty simple for me," he said. "Vuvuzelas make the most horrific sound I've ever heard. I'd rather let Brock punch me in the face than hear 15,000 people blow on those things."

Credit : Observer.

Once again, Dana White proves just how much of a douchebag he truly is.

That said, the Vuvuzela cannot be stopped and will make it's annoying ass into MMA sooner rather than later!

Guest Jimmy Redman
I understand people disliking him, but vuvuzela-bashing is hardly a good reason since we've all been saying the exact same thing for the past 3 weeks.

Guest The GS

I want to be able to hear the loud boos when Lesnar wins again. So no vuvuzelas is a good thing I think.

You just can't hear fan reactions when they're going off in the crowd and that's not good as a spectacle.

Guest Dusty Finish
Calm down mate, you will burst a blood vessel if you get any more bent out of shape over an opinion :lol

Ah, the old "it's my opinion" card in lieu of any reasoned arguement. I've always thought you were better than that.

This card isnt horrible, but none of these fights are fights that people are really looking forward to seeing

Hold on, says who?

I'm really surprised, as this is usually one of the less negative boards, but even some of the most miserable places are compartively upbeat about Saturday's line up.

To counter what you said in your very first post- "UFC smart to pad the card with crap, one fight show etc"- look at every show Lesnar has headlined: the undercards have been filled with fights that on paper looked (and almost always in practice have) as close to a guarantee of fireworks as you can get it in MMA. This card will, like all others, certainly be viewed by hardcore MMA followers. Occassional dippers-in/pro wrestling fans will watch for the championship/Lesnar factor. Akiyama vs (originally) a legend in Japan in Wandy was for the eastern viewership they're trying to snare.

Lytle-Brown, Pellegrino-Sotiropolous & Bonnar-Soszynski are there to convince the comparative novices that the guys they maybe don't know of will bring the goods, and hopefully convince them to buy another PPV with less name-value on it. Hazelett & Story are in reserve on the undercard, to fill any spare time with another fight that can hardly fail to be gravy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trashing of this line-up smacks of a right thirst for "STARZ", with no regard shown for relevance, ability or matchmaking. Can anyone say with a staright face that most-recent headliners Liddell & Franklin are as relevant in their division as Sotiropolous currently is in his?

Guest John Hancock
I totally, totally support to the vuvuzele ban. I'm considering selling ones laced with anthrax just to kill off everyone who would even consider using one. I wish other sports would ban the f*cking things too.

Guest Cathal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trashing of this line-up smacks of a right thirst for "STARZ", with no regard shown for relevance, ability or matchmaking. Can anyone say with a staright face that most-recent headliners Liddell & Franklin are as relevant in their division as Sotiropolous currently is in his?

Eh, I'd rather see stars fight than two lower card guys, thanks.

This is like a wrestling smark outraged that people would rather see Orton v Cena over Danielson v McGuiness, numbers don't lie, stars > match quality.

I'd take Liddell v Franklin anyday over any fight on this undercard.

Guest Dusty Finish

... and this is where, with respect, a lot of primarily-wrestling fans can struggle with MMA.

Yes, the premise & basic marketing strategy are identical, but an eventual distinction has to be made because, ultimately, MMA is a competitive sport where wrestling isn't.

WWE makes it abundantly clear who is relevant & who is expendable in their "universe". I'm afraid that once the Ocatgon door is shut, all the hype & name value in the world won't overcome talent & capability.... just ask Todd Duffee.