Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 116 - July 3rd - Spoilers

Paul

Again, he was lucky the fight wasn't stopped in the first. I've seen a ton of fights stopped for less.

Every time the ref checked on him and told him to get busy then Brock made it clear he was still in it by knocking Carwin away or grabbing his arms to stop the strikes. He was very clearly still intellegently defending himself.

Nah, I think his chin looks pretty poor. If it stays standing, Toney knocks him out in the first round.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. The way I see it Brocks defence against standing strikes was poor, but Carwin is known for having very heavy hands, so for Brock to take the punches he did without geting KOed makes me believe he has a great jaw.

And like DC said, no way would it stay standing.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
I expect some kind of technical ability. GSP isn't a boxer either, but he throws pretty decent shots. Quite a few guys do. Obviously there has to be a change in a few things, because they don't just have to prepare for a punch coming back, but the fact remains that Lesnar and Carwin have absolutely no boxing ability. They're a liability against anyone with a decent punch because if it remains standing, they could quite easily cop on on the chin and be knocked out cold. That's what Toney would do, despite being 5'9", old, fat and slow. I'm not saying Toney would win; he gets battered, but it shows the gulf in stand up ability, than a punch drunk Toney actually has an ok chance, if the fight suits him.
But again, they're not boxers...standup in MMA is different than boxing, because you arent just taking into account punching. These guys probably put less time into boxing training than anything else they do, thats why they arent technically sound.

To be fair, alot of people in MMA throw wide punches, leave their guard wide open, chip up, rushing in. They cant box for shit, they are punchers more than anything.

Guest MojoPogo
The scary thing is, Brock KNOWS he has to work on his punching, not so much the power, more the technique. That suggests theres still more to come. And besides, there is much, much more to MMA than simply knocking people out. Otherwise Chuck Liddell would still be a contender.

Found over on the UKFF:

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar ($400,000) and main-card winners Chris Leben ($86,000) and Chris Lytle ($52,000) were the top earners at this past weekend's UFC 116 event.

MMAjunkie.com recently requested and today received the list of disclosed paydays from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The total disclosed payroll for the July 3 show was $923,000.

Other top earners from the evening include winners Stephan Bonnar ($50,000) and Kendall Grove ($50,000), main-card loser Yoshihiro Akiyama ($45,000) and main-event loser Shane Carwin ($40,000).

UFC 116 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and aired live on Spike TV and then pay-per-view.

The full payouts included:

Brock Lesnar: $400,000 (no win bonus)

def. Shane Carwin: $40,000

Chris Leben: $86,000 ($43,000 win bonus)

def. Yoshihiro Akiyama: $45,000

Chris Lytle: $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus)

def. Matt Brown: $10,000

Stephan Bonnar: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

def. Krzysztof Soszynski: $10,000

George Sotiropoulos: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

def. Kurt Pellegrino: $25,000

Brendan Schuab: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Chris Tuchscherer: $12,000

Ricardo Romero: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Seth Petruzelli: $10,000

Kendall Grove: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

def. Goran Reljic: $5,000

Gerald Harris: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. David Branch: $6,000

Daniel Roberts: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)

def. Forrest Petz: $6,000

Jon Madsen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Karlos Vemola: $8,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays.

For example, as previously reported, UFC officials handed out $75,000 UFC 116 bonuses to Harris (Knockout of the Night), Lesnar (Submission of the Night), and Leben, Akiyama, Bonnar and Soszynski (Fights of the Night).

In other words, the above figures are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event.

I cant believe Bonnar and Grove were paid more than Carwin!

From Dave Meltzer:

Based on trending patterns, which also show some wide variations instead of consistencies, the number would look to be 1.15 million to 1.25 million. Those are usually very good predictors of buys, but they are not numbers coming from direct buys. But based on trending levels, the show looks good for finishing in the No. 2 spot on the all-time UFC list. It would be a big surprise to finish lower than No. 4.

Once agian proof that Brock = buys.

Guest John Hancock
Maybe it's in his contract or something. Still, boy make dolla. I'm surprised Grove is getting so much, even without the win bonus.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Why doesn't Brock get a winner's bonus?

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that in some cases (like Brock here, or formerly Couture) where they have the deal where they take a % of the PPV revenue, they dont get a win bonus.

But again, I could be making that up.