Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

MMA - Street Fighting?

Guest The Cork

Guest The Cork
I've never understood that argument because MMA is totally different from wrestling.

No, it isn't.

Yes, MMA is a legit sport as such, but the PPV's are built the same and the promotional packages on the 'feuds' is very similar, there are even clearly defined 'heels and faces' now in MMA. Not in a scripted sense of course, but the way Koscheck and Lesnar in particular talk in their post-fight interviews is also very similar to pro wrestling. You also have the cross-over stuff with more pro-wrestlers trying to make it in MMA, Lashley and Lesnar being the two most famous examples.

The only thing different between MMA and wrestling is the legitimacy of the two. MMA is real combat sport whereas wrestling is 'staged'. Not TOTALLY different at all.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it isn't.

Yes, MMA is a legit sport as such, but the PPV's are built the same and the promotional packages on the 'feuds' is very similar, there are even clearly defined 'heels and faces' now in MMA. Not in a scripted sense of course, but the way Koscheck and Lesnar in particular talk in their post-fight interviews is also very similar to pro wrestling. You also have the cross-over stuff with more pro-wrestlers trying to make it in MMA, Lashley and Lesnar being the two most famous examples.

The only thing different between MMA and wrestling is the legitimacy of the two. MMA is real combat sport whereas wrestling is 'staged'. Not TOTALLY different at all.

Wrestling is soap opera with guys in spandex, MMA is a legitimate street fight in a cage. They share some aspects, but they're not really in competition for the same audience.

Guest The GS
But a large percentage of adult wrestling fans watch MMA and a lot of them can only afford one PPV per month so I'd say they are in direct competition as they're both competing for PPV buys.

Guest The Beltster
Dana White's head would explode if he heard somebody call MMA "street fighting" :lol Dude has been working for years to get it over as a legit sport with real athletes.

But a large percentage of adult wrestling fans watch MMA and a lot of them can only afford one PPV per month so I'd say they are in direct competition as they're both competing for PPV buys.

Let's be really honest now. Who buys WWE pay per views? I mean, really?:lol

It really isn't.

I should clarify, I use the term street fight (not in the wrestling sense) to denote a fight where you are legitimately trying to dominate and hurt your opponent. In MMA, it just happens to be between two highly skilled marital artists. Of course they're athletes, and of course it's a legitimate sport.

My point being, it's not scripted and they are legitimately trying to hurt each other. For the fighters, it's 100% about the winning, everything else is just pomp and glitz. Wrestlers worry about entertaining the fans, telling a story. MMA fighters worry about dominating the other guy as quickly and decisively as possible. It's the exact same difference between wrestling and boxing.

Edited by etz

They're making money from them - so yeah, people DO buy them. :P

Ah, but I'd bet the percentage that do buy them and who also follow MMA is actually quite small.

I should clarify, I use the term street fight (not in the wrestling sense) to denote a fight where you are legitimately trying to dominate and hurt your opponent. In MMA, it just happens to be between two highly skilled marital artists. Of course they're athletes, and of course it's a legitimate sport.
So, according to you, sambo wrestling, shoot submission wrestling, kickboxing, regular boxing, judo and pretty much most contact fighting sports are "street fights"?

Guest Dante Spears
So, according to you, sambo wrestling, shoot submission wrestling, kickboxing, regular boxing, judo and pretty much most contact fighting sports are "street fights"?

Clearly you've never been to Brazil.

In the context I use the term street fight, yeah, pretty much every full contact/shoot fight is a street fight.

Put it this way, if someone attacks you on the street, a sensible person responds with maximum force within the bounds of the law (or the rules) to neutralise the threat as quickly as possible. That's what I'd call a street fight. Essentially, you aim to inflict maximum damage as quickly as possible and the other guy can go **** himself.

MMA has rules and a sanctioning body, street fights do not.

[/DEBATE]

Unless you want to end up in prison, they do. I conceed the sanctioning body, which is part of why it's a legitimate sport.

Edited by etz

What rules are there in an actual street fight, exactly?

No proper eye gouging, because if you do it right, you'll have very messy thumbs and also quite a long sentence coming your way

No proper throat or nose strikes because if you do them right, you'll have a corpse to explain

No weapons, even improvised ones, because the charges are more severe if you're armed and they aren't, even if they started it.

No tearing peoples throats out with your teeth. It's somehow looked on as not very sporting and will horrify the jury. You will not believe how hard it is to argue that it was in self defence.

No striking them once they're down. Seriously, you will get done for that, because they no longer pose a threat.

Oh, and if you've had hand to hand training, you really can't kill them unless you have absolutely no other choice, because it will be viewed as excessive force.

Never fight unless you have no other options. Walking or running away may seem cowardly, but it's better than being manouvered into a situation where every choice left to you is a bad one.

Of course, like any rules, they can be ignored. But there's going to be a penalty for it.

Edited by etz

Unless you want to end up in prison, they do.
Just by fighting, regardless of how far you go, you risk prison, so this is a moot point.
No proper eye gouging, because if you do it right, you'll have very messy thumbs and also quite a long sentence coming your way

No proper throat or nose strikes because if you do them right, you'll have a corpse to explain

No weapons, even improvised ones, because the charges are more severe if you're armed and they aren't, even if they started it.

No tearing peoples throats out with your teeth. It's somehow looked on as not very sporting and will horrify the jury. You will not believe how hard it is to argue that it was in self defence.

No striking them once they're down. Seriously, you will get done for that, because they no longer pose a threat.

Oh, and if you've had hand to hand training, you really can't kill them unless you have absolutely no other choice, because it will be viewed as excessive force.

Never fight unless you have no other options. Walking or running away may seem cowardly, but it's better than being manouvered into a situation where every choice left to you is a bad one.

Of course, like any rules, they can be ignored. But there's going to be a penalty for it.

You really are a tube. :lol

The part in bold is the most ridiculous, since you're claiming MMA and street fighting are the same thing. I'm pretty sure Shane Carwin and the rest of his UFC brothers are really sticking to that one. :lol

The problem is that, over the course of the year, you've shown yourself to have a dubious sense of ethical sense, so I have no way of knowing if you're joking, but a street fight, an honest-to-goodness brawl between two (or more) members of the public, has no "rules" the likes of which you are trying to claim.

Look, just admit you were wrong and we can forget the whole thing ever happened.