Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

MMA - Street Fighting?

Guest The Cork

Damn, etz, you dug a hole, son. Everything in your last post is utter bullshit.

The only rule in a street fight is, there are no rules. Something tells me that you've never been in a real fight in your life.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by fighting, regardless of how far you go, you risk prison, so this is a moot point.

Unless you care about how long you spend in prison :P

The part in bold is the most ridiculous, since you're claiming MMA and street fighting are the same thing. I'm pretty sure Shane Carwin and the rest of his UFC brothers are really sticking to that one. :lol

What I've been trying to get across is that MMA is more like an actual fight than wrestling, which is play-fighting where no one is supposed to get hurt. A simple concept really, but I've managed to somehow not actually communicate what I mean, as usual.

The problem is that, over the course of the year, you've shown yourself to have a dubious sense of ethical sense, so I have no way of knowing if you're joking, but a street fight, an honest-to-goodness brawl between two (or more) members of the public, has no "rules" the likes of which you are trying to claim.

I was joking, listing the things I know you should try to avoid doing because it looks bad when the cops turn up.

The last one is the easiest to do, because I tend to ignore most of the earlier ones when that one goes out the window.

Look, just admit you were wrong and we can forget the whole thing ever happened.

Fine, I was wrong, whatever. Maybe the point of MMA isn't essentially to beat your opponent to the point he's not a threat anymore.

Damn, etz, you dug a hole, son. Everything in your last post is utter bullshit.

Yeah...so when's the last time you were picking bits of someones optic nerve out from under your fingernails? It was, I thought obviously, a funny (in a morbid way) list of things to try to avoid doing.

The only rule in a street fight is, there are no rules. Something tells me that you've never been in a real fight in your life.

It's more a case of do as I say, not as I do. I've been in more than my share of fights (mostly when I was young and stupid. Now, I just leave as fast as possible) and really, my best advice is to run away, it's just much easier all around. Picking hair and skin out of your teeth isn't as fun as it sounds.

Edited by etz

Guest Thirteen
No proper eye gouging, because if you do it right, you'll have very messy thumbs and also quite a long sentence coming your way

No proper throat or nose strikes because if you do them right, you'll have a corpse to explain

No weapons, even improvised ones, because the charges are more severe if you're armed and they aren't, even if they started it.

No tearing peoples throats out with your teeth. It's somehow looked on as not very sporting and will horrify the jury. You will not believe how hard it is to argue that it was in self defence.

No striking them once they're down. Seriously, you will get done for that, because they no longer pose a threat.

Oh, and if you've had hand to hand training, you really can't kill them unless you have absolutely no other choice, because it will be viewed as excessive force.

Never fight unless you have no other options. Walking or running away may seem cowardly, but it's better than being manouvered into a situation where every choice left to you is a bad one.

Of course, like any rules, they can be ignored. But there's going to be a penalty for it.

I've been in numerous fights over the years, mma and street fights.

The last street fight i had was in january where I was surrounded by eight dudes with broken bottles and knives outside of a night club, I was trying to break up an argument I could see was about to turn ugly between a friend of mine and an aquaintance and in turn was forced to defend myself.

I suffered a laceration 2 the face which required 26 stitches and another to the chest which was glued, a fractured cheekbone, and a fractured mandible.

No, this neither makes me big or clever but it proves you haven't a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

MMA is a sport, a technical artform, with rules, governing bodies, trainers, gyms, sponsors, etc.

A street fight is just that, a fight in the street. There are no rules. If 10 guys want to jump one guy, they will, if one guy has no weapons and the other guy does, he will use it.

You my friend, should not comment on things you haven't a clue about.

Bunch of f**king thugs the lot of yas! :lol

I have to say I subscribe to the philosophy of running before fighting. Not because I'm a pussy, but because most fights happen when you're plastered and in no shape to be getting into a scrap.

Guest John Hancock

Street fighting is thuggery. There's no rules to it, and, if you ascribe rules to it out of deluded honour, you're just going to get a thrashing for it. Self imposed limits have no place at in a street fight. I go by the Israeli Krav Maga attitude;

"Hurt the people who are trying to hurt you until they're incapable of hurting you anymore"

That's it when it come to rules in a street fight. Eye gouging, kicking people in the balls, punching girls in the boobs (not that I've ever done that), weapons, cheap shots, running away like a big girly girl pants, punching people in the back of their joints, kicking people when they're down, head buts, "it's all good in the hood" as they say. You start giving yourself rules in a street fight and you'll find yourself playing soccer against someone who's playing rugby, and whilst you're trying to dribble the ball around them, they're just going to pick it up and shoulder block you.

MMA has taken parts of street fighting, and refined it into a quantifiable, relatively safe contact sport. Every man in an octogan knows that, if they really just wanted to beat the other guy up, they'd kick them in the balls and stamp on their head until they stopped moving, but, no one other than a psychotic sadist would ever want to watch that, and it would be banned pretty much everywhere, which is why post-Zuffa UFC is arguably the biggest combat sport in the world, and pre-Zuffa UFC was obese people flailing at each other like epileptic gorillas for the enjoyment of absolutely no one.

As DC's already said, MMA is a combination of several sports fighting techniques like B.J.J. or Grecco-Roman Wrestling, or Judo, or Japanese Kick Boxing, or Sambo Systema, or other types of martial arts which are sports more than fighting techniques. Legitimate self defense techniques like Krav Maga, or R.B.S.D., or M.C.M.A., have absolutely no place in the Octagon, and that's very much for the best.

Probably the best way to show the difference between street fighting and MMA would be watching the Bear-God himself, Bas Rutten. Here he is doing MMA;

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This is him doing Krav Maga (and Israeli kind of street fighting, and my new personal obsession :lol)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

See the difference.

Krav Maga is stupid great.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mind, UFC/MMA was a sod for cheap shots before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4iZ-NEz-mg

Guest John Hancock
It's given me severe social issues though. I find myself walking around hoping people attack me so that I can show off my new skills. I feel like a man who's spent years learning French, but has no intention of ever going to France. :lol

Jesus Christ, all this because I used the term street fight to denote legitimate combat as opposed to wrestling which is fake combat. A point I have clarified numerous times. That doesn't make MMA an actual "out on the streets" fight.

Like boxing, in MMA, if you get in the ring with a professional after a modicum of training, they will put you down hard, and you'll probably leave on a stretcher. This won't happen in wrestling, at least, not usually.

I've been in numerous fights over the years, mma and street fights.

The last street fight i had was in january where I was surrounded by eight dudes with broken bottles and knives outside of a night club, I was trying to break up an argument I could see was about to turn ugly between a friend of mine and an aquaintance and in turn was forced to defend myself.

I suffered a laceration 2 the face which required 26 stitches and another to the chest which was glued, a fractured cheekbone, and a fractured mandible.

No, this neither makes me big or clever but it proves you haven't a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

MMA is a sport, a technical artform, with rules, governing bodies, trainers, gyms, sponsors, etc.

A street fight is just that, a fight in the street. There are no rules. If 10 guys want to jump one guy, they will, if one guy has no weapons and the other guy does, he will use it.

You my friend, should not comment on things you haven't a clue about.

1) It was postulated on the basis of one on one, not one versus many. Primarily because those are the only fights I will ever engage in. Getting in the middle of two people arguing, like you did, just isn't my style. I'd call the cops, then sit back and let them get on with it for my amusement until the old bill arrived. Point being, if you use "excessive" force one-on-one, it will come back to bite you on the arse, just ask Belty or any of the hundreds of people alleged to have committed battery by defending themselves without restraint.

2) It was, I thought, pretty clearly, and as I have already said, a jokey list.

3) All it proves, frankly, is that either you stand by your friends no matter what and are insanely brave, or you're crap at knowing when to cut and run. 8 on 2 is not a tenable position because, unless you're entirely comfortable squaring the odds by killing a few of them, quickly and without warning, you're not going to win.

4) None of which changes that MMA participants aim to inflict actual harm to their opponents. Yes, they are bound by rules, and the harm is to a lesser extent, but the violence is real, just like it is in boxing and kickboxing. It's not faked.

"Hurt the people who are trying to hurt you until they're incapable of hurting you anymore"

That's it when it come to rules in a street fight. Eye gouging, kicking people in the balls, punching girls in the boobs (not that I've ever done that), weapons, cheap shots, running away like a big girly girl pants, punching people in the back of their joints, kicking people when they're down, head buts, "it's all good in the hood" as they say. You start giving yourself rules in a street fight and you'll find yourself playing soccer against someone who's playing rugby, and whilst you're trying to dribble the ball around them, they're just going to pick it up and shoulder block you.

All of which is fine, since most people exhibit a natural restraint, they know when the other guy has had enough.

If your natural inclination is to try to use the closest available somewhat edged object to saw their heads off, or failing that, to use their eyesockets as leverage to expose their throat while you try to chew your way down to their spine, whether they can fight back anymore or not, some self-imposed restraint is advisable. Assuming you can keep it in your head long enough to remember. In that case, running away like a big girly girl pants while you're still a sane person is always better than the alternative.

Edited by etz

Guest Fiona
Jesus Christ, all this because I used the term street fight to denote legitimate combat as opposed to wrestling which is fake combat. A point I have clarified numerous times. That doesn't make MMA an actual "out on the streets" fight.

No it's because you said this.

Wrestling is soap opera with guys in spandex, MMA is a legitimate street fight in a cage. They share some aspects, but they're not really in competition for the same audience.

That's why this whole topic started.

All of which is fine, since most people exhibit a natural restraint, they know when the other guy has had enough.

No they don't, that's why there is a lot of people sitting on death row for committing murder. Once you start natural adrenaline would start flowing, and unless you stopped halfway through just take your opponents pulse, then you wouldn't stop until they did.

If your natural inclination is to try to use the closest available somewhat edged object to saw their heads off, or failing that, to use their eyesockets as leverage to expose their throat while you try to chew your way down to their spine, whether they can fight back anymore or not, some self-imposed restraint is advisable. Assuming you can keep it in your head long enough to remember. In that case, running away like a big girly girl pants while you're still a sane person is always better than the alternative.

Ugh, that's just gross.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned scratching and hair pulling.

Guest The Cork
MMA and the UFC have taken all of the pro wrestling fans because it’s pro wrestling from 30 years ago, just in an Octagon and the fights happen to be real. But they’re marketed exactly the same way. People want new stars, young athletes, a more serious approach. Athletic competition with interesting personalities with a hard sports edge and take the UFC fans back or at least entice a few of them to come back and then you’d have something.

- A quote from Jim Cornette's latest rant, thought it was relevant to the issue as 'MMA and wrestling are totally different'.

Edited by The Cork

Guest Thirteen
1) It was postulated on the basis of one on one, not one versus many. Primarily because those are the only fights I will ever engage in. Getting in the middle of two people arguing, like you did, just isn't my style. I'd call the cops, then sit back and let them get on with it for my amusement until the old bill arrived. Point being, if you use "excessive" force one-on-one, it will come back to bite you on the arse, just ask Belty or any of the hundreds of people alleged to have committed battery by defending themselves without restraint.

2) It was, I thought, pretty clearly, and as I have already said, a jokey list.

3) All it proves, frankly, is that either you stand by your friends no matter what and are insanely brave, or you're crap at knowing when to cut and run. 8 on 2 is not a tenable position because, unless you're entirely comfortable squaring the odds by killing a few of them, quickly and without warning, you're not going to win.

4) None of which changes that MMA participants aim to inflict actual harm to their opponents. Yes, they are bound by rules, and the harm is to a lesser extent, but the violence is real, just like it is in boxing and kickboxing. It's not faked.

That's the whole point.

In the streets there are no ****ing rules you moron. You defend yourself at all costs, nothing more, nothing less. You can't turn around and say "I'm not fighting because it's not one on one." Or, "let's have some ground rules Old Man before we start this altercation." This isnt a 'Duel.':lol

Everything happens in a split second, you react, and pre-empt further escalation of the situation. Sometimes there is no where to run and even if you did run, the likely-hood is that you will get stabbed or shot in the back. This is NOT the movies or a secondary school scenario.

This is real life where adrenaline, testosterone, sometimes drugs & alcohol are all in play, pack mentality, etc, etc... You have no control over what may or may not happen. All you can do is make sure you're ready. If I wasn't, I'd probably not be here any more or pissing through a tube.

MMA is a sport, a sport which uses a combination of other sports such as wrestling, boxing, ju-jitsu, judo, muay thai boxing, etc, etc.

It is in no way shape or form street fighting or equivalent to street fighting.

It is a PROFESSIONAL SPORT... Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Oh and for the record, the argument was between two people initially but as it escalated it caught the attention of others.

While this was going on, a large group of guys showed up outside the club on Motor Bikes and Jeeps looking for the group that I was trying to calm down. According to the police, they must have seen me talking to this group trying to calm the situation down and assumed that I was with them.

Hence the large number that surrounded me. I had no choice but to fight, there was no time for anything else.

Guest Thirteen
"I'm a huge hard man, I have loads of fights and beat people up"

Really? Big who cares.

Really, Thats what you got from all of that? Mate, I was a victim of crime.

Just because I didnt curl up in a ball and allow myself to become a local newspaper headline doesn't mean I wasn't a victim mate.

I in no way shape or form brought it upon myself, other then not wanting to see a great night ruined by guys fighting over something that really was insignificant. I will not apologise for defending myself. You have no idea what those injuries caused me in the long run.

What a ****ing tosser.

Just goes to show... A lot of ***** really do live in Cloud Cuckoo Land... FFS.

Edited by Thirteen

Guest Thirteen
I agree. People who talk on the internet about getting their ass kicked or beating some one else up is lame.

However, it makes for an interesting read. More so than Corky's posts. :)

Mate, I simply used it as an example for Etz original post.

As anyone who knows me on here knows, I rarely divulge my private life on here. His comments just touched a nerve, as did Corks.... :xyx

Forgive my giving into emotions...:lol

Guest The Cork

It wasnt just directed at you, but everyone else on here who feels the need to state their 'toughness' IRL over the internet.

Anyway, cool story bro.

Guest The Cork
Yeah, and Etz's story of chewing his way to someone's spine was 'cool' too... :roll

I didnt read his post, he already proved himself to be a dud.

No they don't, that's why there is a lot of people sitting on death row for committing murder. Once you start natural adrenaline would start flowing, and unless you stopped halfway through just take your opponents pulse, then you wouldn't stop until they did.

I said most people, not all.

That's the whole point.

In the streets there are no ****ing rules you moron. You defend yourself at all costs, nothing more, nothing less.

My bad, rules was probably the wrong word to use. Call it limits on your behaviour, call it restraint. The point is, there's a line most people won't cross, where it goes from being about defence to something else. In a serious fight, "I" (and I use that term very loosely) start out crossed well over that line and it's all about something more than defence.

You can't turn around and say "I'm not fighting because it's not one on one." Or, "let's have some ground rules Old Man before we start this altercation." This isnt a 'Duel.':lol

You can't walk away from every fight, that's true. But you can learn to tell when it's brewing and just get the **** out before it does, most of the time. And you can learn that sometimes, getting your arsed kicked by refusing to fight back is better than the alternative.

Everything happens in a split second, you react, and pre-empt further escalation of the situation. Sometimes there is no where to run and even if you did run, the likely-hood is that you will get stabbed or shot in the back. This is NOT the movies or a secondary school scenario.

This is real life where adrenaline, testosterone, sometimes drugs & alcohol are all in play, pack mentality, etc, etc... You have no control over what may or may not happen. All you can do is make sure you're ready. If I wasn't, I'd probably not be here any more or pissing through a tube.

Which is exactly why I don't let myself get into anything close to that kind of situation anymore. The last serious fight I was in, it was the last for a reason. Now, I have a streak of yellow down my spine a mile wide, because I'm more scared of the thing I keep in the box in my head than I could ever be of anyone else. Given a choice, I'd literally rather be shot dead than let that thing out again. Unfortunately, when a fight gets really serious, I don't have a choice. I don't care about the other guy, he earned what he gets as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I don't care what most people think, because I could care less about most people. But when the very few people I do care about look at me like I'm some kind of monster, I do care, rather a lot actually, precisely because I care so little about what everyone else thinks.

MMA is a sport, a sport which uses a combination of other sports such as wrestling, boxing, ju-jitsu, judo, muay thai boxing, etc, etc.

It is in no way shape or form street fighting or equivalent to street fighting.

It is a PROFESSIONAL SPORT... Why is that so hard to comprehend?

It's not, I've already conceded that I was misusing the term "street fight".

Oh and for the record, the argument was between two people initially but as it escalated it caught the attention of others.

While this was going on, a large group of guys showed up outside the club on Motor Bikes and Jeeps looking for the group that I was trying to calm down. According to the police, they must have seen me talking to this group trying to calm the situation down and assumed that I was with them.

Hence the large number that surrounded me. I had no choice but to fight, there was no time for anything else.

That's a shitty situation to be in. But you might have avoided it by not trying to calm the initial situation, between those two, by just not getting involved at all. Not that I'm saying you were wrong to get involved, or that defending yourself is ever the wrong choice, but it is a choice. And one I prefer to avoid having to make, because I've learned, for me, nothing good comes of it, ever. Yes, you can call me mellow yellow.

Yeah, and Etz's story of chewing his way to someone's spine was 'cool' too... :roll

Ugh, I said it was an instinct, not something I'd actually done. And it's not even my instinct, but then I'm not the one present when I'm really threatened. But I'm the one who has to live with the aftermath, deal with the police (and try giving a coherent statement when all you have is flashes of memory), and suffer the damage taken. Believe me, mental illness isn't cool at all. I'd give quite a lot to just be the normal and utterly boring grey mask I present to the outside world most of the time.

Imagine living with a loaded gun superglued to your hand, your finger glued to the trigger and every now and then some bastard hits you with an electric shock. It's kinda like that, only part of you is also the bastard with the shocker. And sometimes, you like pulling the trigger.

I didnt read his post, he already proved himself to be a dud.

The feeling is more than mutual..

Edited by etz