Martial Arts

UFC 121

Guest Rikidozan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

This is actually the first PPV where I've taken the incredibly geeky and self-condemning step to predicting how every fight will end, and when.

Patrick Côté - Unanimous Decision

Court McGee - Submission - Round 3

Brendan Schaub - TKO - Round 2

Matt Hamill - Unanimous Decision

Diego Sanchez - Unanimous Decision

Jake Shields - Submission - Round 2

Brock Lesnar - TKO - Round 3

However, my repuation as an MMA fan is forever ruined if those predictions are less correct than these ones;

Patrick Côté - Unanimous Decision

Court McGee - Submission - Round 3

Brendan Schaub - TKO - Round 2

Matt Hamill - Majority Decision

Paulo Thiago - Unanimous Decision

Jake Shields - TKO - Round 3

Cain Valesquez - TKO - Round 4

Those ones are made by my girlfriend, who's never watched an MMA fight, doesn't know any of the rules, don't know what a unanimous decision actually is, and got all of her fight information off of Wikipedia.

So, if I get less right than her, please officially disregard EVERYTHING I ever say about MMA.

So, if I get less right than her, please officially disregard EVERYTHING I ever say about MMA.

I do that already.

Edited by The GS

Guest Jimmy Redman

I was leaning towards Cain actually doing it, but now with the beard, Lesnar has to pull it out.

Lesnar GNP in the 3rd or 4th, just so I can be really wrong.

I think it's becoming pretty conclusive that we're all going to cry like babies if Brock turns up on fight night clean-shaven. Edited by JC

Meh, the beard is just like another coat of armour. It's his defence for his supposed 'weak chin', bristles that stick out like cacti!

Beard or no beard, Cain's probably drawing disability benefit in a weeks time.

*cough* From his..country of occupation. Senor!

Guest Rikidozan
Lesnar is slight favourite with the odds-makers, and seems amongst most fans too. This is a hell of an intriguing fight, Lesnar's size may be Velasquez's undoing though.

Guest Frank Botch

All this beard talk has me remembering the old Vale Tudos where dudes would rub their stubble in their opponents face to make them uncomfortable. Good times.

Anyway, I'll join Hancock in making exact predictions..

Cain - KO - Round 1

Shields - UD (after 15 minutes of weak ass GNP)

Thiago - UD

Hamill - UD

Gonzaga - TKO - Round 2

Lawler - Sub - Round 1

McGee - TKO - Round 2

Hoping all those don't go to the judges though because I really want to see Stout/Taylor.

"As a person who respects the wrestling business" :lol

Ok brah. Your man-points are in the post.:roll

I don't really understand what you're on about.

I just meant I respect wrestling and don't view it as "that fake crap" like a huge percentage of the population do.

Show done a 1.3. A free UFC event getting a rating like that makes the TNA and WWE ratings not look so horrible at all when you consider Dan Hardy and Bisping are reasonably big stars.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I think you're reading way too much into the bare number.

UFC shows on TV dont do, like, Raw numbers. They're always in the 1s. The last UK card - with Couture - did a 1.9. The TUF Finale with Kimbo popped the rating all the way to a 2.4. Thats the kind of numbers we're dealing with. Wrestling always blows away UFC on TV ratings. UFC's primary avenue is PPV, they dont put major cards on free TV.

Also, Bisping and Hardy are the biggest UK names but they're not worth as much in the US, which is where the rating comes from.

Having said that, the rating is down, and enough of them have gone down lately to make me think that the amount of shows is starting to catch up with them. Getting up to 3 shows in 4 weeks at times wont be sustainable. Its not like its going to affect their top line shows, or really take any money from them for a good while yet, but still, its a thought. WWE kept pushing with too many shows, and it wasnt a problem for years, but by now they've passed the point where they could have trimmed them down and maintained, and now the majority of their shows are so superfluous they're reaching record low numbers.

But I mean, this is long-term, years away stuff, and its assuming interest drops dramatically like it has with wrestling. UFC are doing fine.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

You know, I'm sort of regretting picking Cain over Brock now.....

As a person who respects the wrestling business I love watching wrestling haters go crazy on the web when Brock wins.

What I don't understand is how people still go on about Brock's WWE past. :lol

Never seen an Amazing Red match then? :P

Eh? :?